PDA

View Full Version : MORE turbo questions....

86LXItooFAST4me
01-06-2005, 07:00 AM
ok, ive done searches and i just keep finding the same questions about turbo sizes and intercooler, yatta yatta yatta. i want to know more about these things instead of the ricer instincts all racers are born with. so if these questions have been asked before numerous time, im sorry. ive been looking for like 3 days and couldnt find anything on here. but at least point me in the direction to get the answers please. but anyway, these are turbo question, not "what is best for my a20??"

1-what is the difference in a wastgate and blow off valve?
2-why are the turbine wheel and compression wheel different sizes and how do the sizes effect the boost?
3-what is the difference in an internal wastgate and external?
4-does a boost controller control the BOV or wastgate?
5-what causes the different spool RPM ranges?

those are all for now but im sure once i start getting answers all i have more questions. anyone that can help please let me know.

86LXItooFAST4me
01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
http://www.turbominivan.com/tech/turbo101.htm

see everywhere i go it just explains how turbos work. that site answered a few but none of the ones i stated, anyone know?

86LXItooFAST4me
01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
is this how the wastegate thing works?

is this an enternal wastegate:

http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/22/88/b3_12_sb.JPG

and this an external:

http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/b0/99/45_1_b.JPG

im trying at least, lol.

Elijah
01-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Yup and a BOV releases the extra air betwwen shifts or when you let of the throttle. A boost controller controles neither in a way you see how there is a nipple on the wastegate well the vaccum line that comes off that.You splice it and goes in there and you can adjust it to let more or less flow this is what will controle the psi. And for spool it all matters on the size of turbo. I run a T3 and Im fully spooled at about 4k

Edit I had spelt shifts shits lol

AccordEpicenter
01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
yeah the bottom one is external wastegate. Boost controller controls the wastegate. Alot of thing cause different rpm spool, turbo size (turbine and turbine housing size) engine size, wastegates etc... lots of things. The wastegate controls boost by letting exhaust out the turbine housing instead of letting it go thru the turbine (making the turbo spin faster and make more boost) and a bov is a valve on the charge pipes that once you close your throttle while making boost, and your intake manifold goes to vaccuum, the valve opens and vents all the boost to the atmosphere to prevent damaging the turbo by compressor surge, not really nessescery until running big boost (10+ psi)

86LXItooFAST4me
01-06-2005, 10:48 AM
yeah, that site explaned the wastegate a little for me and i new the BOV just releast preasure during RPM drops.

**EDIT thanks epic, i fogot about the TB valve stoping the air. now i coupletly understand the wastegate and BOV**

i understand more on the wastegate that it actually bypasses the air around the turbin (didnt know that, but it makes since to me). i always thought the BOV controlled all of this. cuz i knew you couldnt have constant boost, IE low rpms, but again, i was thinking the the BOV and the WG were both the same mechanisim. so i understand the wastegates and BOVs now.

so now for the question i understand now but i dont know the answer.

how do you know which turbins to use in the setup you want? like i know a T3 super 60 hybrid uses the same exhaust turbine as the regular T3 but uses a .63 trim for the charge air. and this is for faster spooling. and i understand how that works with the bigger turbine on one side and all but is there like a list on specs for each turbin size?

AccordEpicenter
01-06-2005, 02:39 PM
yeah there are flow rates for the turbine sizes. I use a .63 turbine and its a little laggy down low but i have sick top end (it flows more than the .48). Everybody refers to a super 60 as a .60 compressor and .63 exhaust when actuatlity the REAL super 60 is just a bigger compressor wheel (supports 350whp instead of 300whp like the regular .60)

buds302
01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
turbominivan is the shit!!!!!
if i ever come across a cheap chrysler minivan then im gonna do the turbo option!!!