PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Accord Full race car!!

figgy_85
01-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey whats up. i will have pictures for you soon, but i am co-owner and crew cheif of a 1987 accord dx hatch circle track race car. i know, a circle track is probably the last place you would expect to see an accord, but it goes good. its carbureted and is a five speed with a fully gutted body and interior, and a full roll cage. :thumbup: ill have pictures and a full list of mods once my cardomain site is finished, ill keep you posted. i had some questions about the stock lift and duration of the cam. we have a Gude Performance cam and were wondering how much the lift and duration were canged by this grind. any other mods that appear to be stock (as it is a "Stock" class) would be greatly appreciated. my email is [email protected] (just useful stuff please, dont send me any crap!!). Thanks a bunch, ill keep you posted on the website.

Vanilla Sky
01-06-2005, 08:02 PM
you can get into modifying the stock carb, that's a big one...

also, the brakes from an 88/89 LXi, P&P the head and intake, exhaust manifold from an 88/89 LXi, vacuum removal if you can get away with it... just a few things...

and where are you? i'd love to see this car in person, and maybe even drive it... i'm in palatka FL... i have enough 3geez around i could build a track can, and i plan on it... it will be road race, though...

AZmike
01-06-2005, 08:23 PM
The extra rotating and unsprung weight of the 88-89 FI brakes may hurt the performance of a circle track car more than it helps it.

Vanilla Sky
01-06-2005, 08:51 PM
very true mike... then again, the extra braking power may be useful...

AccordEpicenter
01-06-2005, 08:52 PM
nice where are you located? I know of maybe 2 accord circle track cars in my area (Western NY)

figgy_85
01-07-2005, 05:21 AM
i live in bethlehem, New Hampshire, so im close to the guy in new york. what advantage does the lxi exhaust manifold have? ive got like 4 accord parts cars, so i could swap them.

figgy_85
01-07-2005, 05:26 AM
oh yeah, we allready had the block bored over ".030 and the head shaved, the carburetor and all vacuum lines except those needed to run the car have been stripped. we have an aftermarket fuel pump (as we run a fuel cell). ive also modified ythe right front upper control arm (cut and reweld) to get our alowed camber (2 inches) as the stock upper control arm has no adjustment. we are not allowed to move the battery anywhere nexcept under the hood, and on our track you dont use the brakes in the corners.

88LXi68
01-07-2005, 05:44 AM
you can use an 83-87 Prelude upper arm it has adjustable camber, but you will need to add a couple washers to both sides. The LXi exhaust manifold is a 4-2-1 design and the carb design is a 4-1, im not sure if the 4-2-1 design would be helpful for your type of racing or not.

A20A1
01-07-2005, 06:03 AM
I don't know if you guys remember these 3g owners... :thumbup:

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3947
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3948
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3949
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3950
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3951

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2005, 08:02 AM
circle track cars are real cool. Can you get pics? Well the 4-2-1 manifold will give you better low and midrange and the 4-1 will give you the best top end... Its kind of a trade off. Can you use aftermarket carbs (weber's or somthing?) that might give you a lil more power

figgy_85
01-07-2005, 07:26 PM
i will have pics up for you guys soon. weve run this car for 2 seasons, so i have a good amount of information and have done extensive mods. we race on a 1/4 mile high banked track against other 4 cylinders. we race against mostly volkswagen golfs and scirroco's, 4 cylinder mustangs, dodge chargers and daytonas, and some cavaliers and sunfires. we finished 8th out of 34 cars our first season and missed 4 races. our second year (last year) we finished 7th. i will post pictures as soon as i create my car domain site (soon) because i cant just load them from my computer (right?). anyways about the carbs, ive been looking into the mods you guys have been doing to the stock carbs, and we are supposed to use all stock engine parts, but the retards that run tech inspection wouldnt know the difference between stock and a weber. im also gonna try the Lxi exhaust manifold, so thanks to you who suggested that. :thumbup: see you all later.

Vanilla Sky
01-07-2005, 08:32 PM
there's a lot of "stock" mods you can do to these cars... hell, if you can get away with a fuel injection motor instead of the carbed one, that's another 10-20 more HP...

you can get higher comp pistons... the 88/89 lxi has the nicest compression out of the stock pistons...

a big thing you can do is run a prelude or integra/accord hybrid transmission...

i'd like to run a car at the dirt oval here, but i just can't afford it...

Justin86
01-07-2005, 10:22 PM
want you got as of suspension and an intake? Also with the battery you could move it on to the rear cross member on the engine.

A20A1
01-08-2005, 01:09 AM
I welded a custom battery basket to the dogbone rear motor brace
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_75_full.jpg

Did you punch out the EFE screen (white colored heating grid) on the EFE Plate beneath the carb primary barrel?

figgy_85
01-08-2005, 05:16 AM
as far as suspension it is stock except for a bent upper control arm on the right rear to gine us negative camber (it is supposed to be straight up and down) and the modified right front upper control arm. actually its a control arm off the left front, which is cut and rewelded so it is shorter, but it also clears the coilover. thats why you use one off the left side, because it angles the other direction. thenyou have to screw with the radius rod on that side to gt your caster and bumpsteer where it needs to be. we also have a set of custom offset wheels. they are stock acord steelies, but if you take the tire off, you can drill out the spot welds on the wheel. then you knock the center out, flip the outer ring around, weld over the valve stem hole and drill a new one, then weld the wheel back together through the spot weld holes. then after lots of rtv sealer to seal the wheel so it doesnt leak air, you have a new set of custom offset wheels that appear stock. we gained 5 inches of track width with this mod. i dont know about the screen-under-the-carb thing, but ill look. we allready have the block bored, so the Lxi pistons wont fit. we run an accell super coil (camoflauged of course) and we have a shaved flywheel. we are limited to run 70 series tires with a minimum treadwear of 320. we run pirelli p400. well thanks again guys keep up the good work, i really appreciate it. talk later. :thumbup:

figgy_85
01-08-2005, 05:43 AM
hey guys check out www.cardomain.com/id/17racing for a pic. its crappy, but ill get some good ones soon. enjoy.

Justin86
01-08-2005, 09:07 AM
little beat up, prob could drop that a bit and do some other suspension tweaks to get you going in those corners faster.

A20A1
01-08-2005, 09:19 AM
... i dont know about the screen-under-the-carb thing, but ill look... :thumbup:

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3342

that is the efe plate... it already has the white heating part removed.

HondaBoy
01-08-2005, 11:30 AM
that's cool, a circle track 3gee. gives me some idea's of what i could do. not with mine, but with one i can get for cheap, then fix up for that kind of use. we have a circle track here where i live. i'd love to see more pix of that car of your's. looks good from what i can see in the one pic. hey A20A1, does punching out the EFE screen help out much? i didnt do that on mine when i put the carb back on though. i can always do that later on. what does that thing really do? does it evaporate any fuel left over or something? or heat the carb up. i havent seen it on too many other cars though.

A20A1
01-08-2005, 11:38 AM
I think it's more for start up and cold weather... if it has any emissions connections then I'd say hold off from removing it... If not then punch it out... disconnect the wire to the base of the carb also... it leaves a slight gap between the primary and secondary barrel, if you can try to keep the wall dividing the two barrels intact... I suppose you can always rebuild the wall by molding in some quicksteel

figgy_85
01-08-2005, 07:43 PM
hey hows it goin guys. i really appreciate all the help. i forgot to tell you guys, i also had a 2nd gen accord, an '82, untill it lost a valve into the motor and trashed it, and the car wsnt worth a motor swap. ill try to dig up a pic i have with it and the racecar. yeak, i know the cars a little beat up, but thats what seventeen weeks with about 50 laps each does to a car. i have some pics of when we first painted it though. it had all shaved doors, tail piece(where the lights and that plastic thing were) and door mouldings. i will have a lot more pics, but i need to use my moms scanner. im gonna go see her tomorrow, so ill post them tomorrow night. untill then, there are some more crappy pics on my website www.cardomain.com/id/17racing . enjoy. :thumbup:

Vanilla Sky
01-08-2005, 08:47 PM
hell, after that much racing, i'd expect the car to be trashed totally...

one thing i want to know is how well does the car stack up against the other cars? i know you have a decent record, but take the driver out of the equation... how do you think the accord stacks up? is it a worthy opponent? around here bodies for these cars are a dime a dozen, but never in shape worth repairing for the road...

how reliable is the car? any real problems out of it? hell, if your driveline will last through a couple bodies, then it wouldn't be all that expensive for racing, if you know what i mean...

figgy_85
01-09-2005, 05:49 AM
as far as how the car stacks up against the other cars, id does very well. i guess it depends on the track and who runs it. at our track, they dont really enforce much of the rules, which really sucks. the volkswagens are the fastest cars, becayse thy use the CIS mechanical fuel injection systems, which have adjustable fuel pressure, plus they use huge cams and cut their springs and stuff. last year they used to run 2 liter blocks with 1.8 liter heads! they had like 11.5 to 1 compression. as far as reliability, the car is the best. we had only one DNF (did not finish) because of an accident where we got sandwiched and we broke a brand new tie rod end, and the wheel turned so much it blew up our outer cv joint. we had one other smal problem with our aftermarket fuel pump, but it was pretty old and we still fnished good that night. hell, the second motor we built has 217,000 miles on it when we pulled it from the parts car, and it didnt even have a ridge on the cylinder wall! so as far as reliability, its the best car there. all we have to do each week is nut-and-bolt the suspension and change the oil!

HondaBoy
01-09-2005, 11:21 AM
damn that looks like it would be fun. cant wait to see more of this car. i looks pretty clean, even after being bumped around.

dhamlett15
02-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I ran an 89 accord at music city motorplex on the 1/4 mile this past year finished 3rd in points. If you have any questions about some stuff on these cars and circle track let me know. I also have this car for sale if anyone is interested [email protected]

dhamlett15
02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/tn2/hrt/pic.html got to the bottom of this page and pics of the accord are there

snow_man_20
02-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Figgy 85, nice work. It's nice to see a 3gee set up for track. Is that the 2gen in the pics?? Anyway good luck on the oncomeing season.

dhamlett15, you have a nice car too. What kind of times are you reaching in the 1/4 mile??? I would post a new thread in the market section about your car that's 4sale.

shepherd79
02-22-2005, 05:11 AM
1. if you want to increase the compression of your A20 motor all you have to do is swap A18 head on it and you will have higher compression.
2. gude cams are the shittiest cams out there. you better off with larger cams from Delta cams. they are cheapper but the grinds are a lot better.
3. you can convert to EFI. it is very easy. and it should help with power too.

there is so much stuff i can probably go on and on.

cubert
02-22-2005, 05:26 AM
i knew there had to be another person from NH somewhere out there...it just happens that it comes in the form of a cool circle track car

dhamlett15
02-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Figgy 85, nice work. It's nice to see a 3gee set up for track. Is that the 2gen in the pics?? Anyway good luck on the oncomeing season.

dhamlett15, you have a nice car too. What kind of times are you reaching in the 1/4 mile??? I would post a new thread in the market section about your car that's 4sale.

I was turning 17.3 at nashville with the car hitting the revlimiter about the last 10 feet of the straight (couldnt find a carbed transmission that i needed to lower the revs till after the season was over) running the orignal motor with 100,000 miles. The fastest lap at nashville was about a 16.9 is what a couple of crx's and one ser could turn. I ran at Carthage once its a high banked 1/4 mile could turn 12.9 there but wasnt reving high enough to pull good. The fastest lap at carthage is a high 11.

hondamanlxi
02-22-2005, 06:04 PM
HEY i love those wheels! what brand ?

Redrum17
06-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Great looking car figgy. We are running an 87 accord on a 4/10 mile asphalt track in western N.C. Oddly enough ours is #17 too. In the next day or two I'll try to figure out how to post a picture on here. Glad to find some other folks on here who are into round tracking. When I've got more time I've got about a million questions.