PDA

View Full Version : Lots of problems!

phoenxislayer15
01-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Ok, we'll start non-internal...

--Passenger Side Door--
Does not open from the outside, I removed the entire door panel and found that there is a broken spring or something on the outside handel. Wondering how hard and how expensive this would be to replace?

--Door Panels Coming Off--
Well, both my door panels are sort of barely hanging on the door with one screw. However, I put more screws in it, and it's only a matter of time before they come off the door again. What should I do about that?

--Liftgate--
The car is a 1987 Honda Accord Hatchback. I noticed that they all seem
to have a problem with the liftgate hydraulics, aside from buying new ones is there anything else I can do?

----------------------Internal----------------------

--Idling hard--
Well I posted about this before, but no one really explained to me how to clean out the EGR system. ECU throws me 12 flashes, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do about it...

--Starter--
A friend of mine wanted to go look at this car at a car lot. I drive him over there and park next to some cars. Well I go back to my car, and I reconnect my battery...(I had to disconnect my battery due to a draining problem that has now been fixed, I'll tell you all about it sometime if you all are interested.)...and I try to start it. Nothing, so I go out and fidget with the battery. Still nothing, so my friend says let's see if it will start from a roll start. Certainly enough it cranked, but ever since then the car won't even attempt to start. I suspect that the starter is gone or the solenoid(Spelled wrong maybe)is bad or something... What can I do to try out all these different possible reasons.

--Transmission--
As far as I know the transmission is shot. The car will go into reverse, but it will go back and then loud crunch noise. It will keep going back, but the faster I go back the louder and faster the noise becomes. Sometimes, all I hear is the gears not meshing and just spinning, making a somewhat noisemakerish sound. The only other problem with the tranmission is third gear. It will shift into third gear if I double clutch, if not it grinds. However, it downshifts fine without grinding. So, is the tranny just shot?

P.S. As long as I have had the car, reverse has never worked.

--CV Axles--
For a while I heard a loud clacking noise will driving down the road(turning), so someone told me on here it was my CV axles. I want to know though, if I'm driving on them in this bad condition, will something bad happen to the car? Also, the sound has gotten louder over time. The car lightly makes the sound when going straight, but barely audible.

--Rotor--
For some reason, my brother drove the car with almost no front-left brake pad. When I replaced the brake pad, I noticed it was stripped and grinded down from the metal to metal contact. Now the car shakes violently when going over 65,(shakes when slowing down).

--Smoking--
I also noticed that my car smokes after driving for awhile, and it smells kind of like burning oil. However, it's coming from directly under the car on my exhaust pipe. I do have a slight oil leak, but I'm not sure why the smoke would be coming from there.

Well this is all the problems with my crappy car, hope someone smart can help.

mag_pbg
01-06-2005, 09:10 PM
The starter, take to autozone or the alike have them test it, chances are it is dead, if not then it has to be something in your electrical. The CV axles, ya..... you should prob. replace them as soon as possible if they are clicking going in a straight line. They aren't expensive and can be replaced in a few hours. The rotors, I have the same prob. just go to autozone and pick some new ones up, two news are like $20. The oil leak could be from your oil pan, then dripping onto your exhuast, I have the same prob. Hope that clears up a few things.

phoenxislayer15
01-06-2005, 09:13 PM
How much would you guess for cost of all that?

Blkblurr
01-07-2005, 06:12 AM
I agree with what mag pbg says. I will add that it could be your starter solenoid as you suggested. Try appying +12vdc from the battery to the starter solenoid on the small wire side of this relay. if the solenoid closes it is most likely good. You can do tha same thing for the starter but you should use a heavy cable such as a jumper cable to apply +12 vdc to the starter. This would tell you for sure if the starter is bad. On the tranny, it sounds like you have a bad synchro. That may be expensive to fix unless you just get a tranny form the J.y. for someone on here.

IN_ONE_ACCORD
01-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Cost depends on how much you can do yourself. My estimate would be anywhere from
$500 to $1500+. I'd go find out how much the tranny would be to fix/replace, as that's your major concern. If it's gonna run you over $1500, try to sell the car for whatever you can get and be honest about the prolems. Then go buy a another honda in better shape. If you keep the car, replace CV joints soon or it could cost you
alot more.

mag_pbg
01-07-2005, 01:29 PM
1500 sounds about right, I just got mine doe and came out to be 1175.85 for a complete rebuild. CV axles, shouldn't cost you more than $70 and are acually not that bad to put in, again rotors for both around 20-30$ Oil problem is prob. your oil pan I have no idea how much that gasket is, not very much it's just undoing all the bolts and fly wheel shield, and then prying the oil pan off.

phoenxislayer15
01-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Actually the oil leak is not that bad, so I'm just going to ignore it for now.

EDIT: Someone offered me about 500 dollars for the car, if I could drive it to Texas.

phoenxislayer15
01-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Could someone start by telling me what I should do to this car first? It would be greatly appreciated.

mag_pbg
01-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Personally I would start with the CV axle, and get the startor tested. To clean otu the EGR vavle, just take it off spray some gunk in it, and get all the carbon out, if it still throws a code then chances are you need a new one, your best bet for a new EGR is a junk yard, they tend to get expensive at auto places, also it doesn't really hurt anything not to have one, I havn't had mine for a good year or so and no prob.