PDA

View Full Version : Transaxel problems, i need help!

azaccord
01-06-2005, 11:42 PM
ok, so here is the scenario. my passengerside axel broke yesterday, so i put a new one in. now before it broke, there was really hard shuttering and bad torque pull to the right with acceleration (especially hard and in low gears). with the new axel in, there is still the exact same problem just not as severe. does anybody know what could cause this? and possibly offer some suggestions for problems to look for. thanks alot. -danny

Magny
01-07-2005, 05:16 AM
stuck posi??? not sure, but something related to that i assume.

Blkblurr
01-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Are your wheel beerings good? Do you have a frozen brake cylinder on that side?

azaccord
01-07-2005, 11:05 AM
first thanks for your responses. the wheel bearings could possibly be it, but how do i check that without taking off the whole knuckle? and can you give me a litle more information on what could be wrong with the posi. and the brake is not frozen.

HondaBoy
01-07-2005, 11:12 AM
posi? you mean differential, because the 3gee doesnt have a posi one. not yours anyway. i would think the it could possibley be something to do with the bearing, but i would more likely think the transmission itself is the problem. i'd try replacement of the bearing first, i'f i remember correctly, you have to take the axle back off.

Blkblurr
01-07-2005, 12:15 PM
To test the wheel bearings you could raise both front wheels off the ground and put the trans in neutral. Then rotate the wheels to see if they are easy to spin. You may hear grinding if the wheel bearing is the problem.

Magny
01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
lol sorry it was late for me, couldnt think straight. yeah i meant the differential lol.

NXRacer
01-07-2005, 03:27 PM
OMG i saw this thread and i first read it as TRANSEXUAL problem. :rofl:

Grant2k
01-08-2005, 03:08 PM
are you sure that when you put the axle in you made sure that it went in all the way? because you said it's pushing to the right that would make me think that the right side axle could be not engaging all the way (the teeth on the axle and trans or other end of axle) and the left side of the car is doing all the work to move it therefore pushing right. did you make sure the axle clicked all the way in when you put it in? what can happen is that the CV joints flex and compress and fold up just from their design and the axle can seem like it's in when really it just got shorter at a joint. checking that would probably require taking it off an reinstalling it.

Immeraufdemhund
01-08-2005, 04:06 PM
also were did the axel brake? (inner or outer boot)

second the bearing is pressed in. so you'll have to devise a way to get a 2+ ton jack and some thing to hold the bearing so that when you push on the bearing it pops out. I tried like crazy to get the bearing out by beating it with a 20lbs sledge. barely moved. also there is a distinctive sound that the bearing makes when it goes bad.

azaccord
01-08-2005, 07:13 PM
well, its not the wheel bearing or anything to do with the brake disc(found that out the hard way). i did not fully remove and reinstall the axel because i didnt want to have to refill the transmission again, but i did check it and it is in all the way. so my next two options are a broken mount(s) or possibly the new axel itself is defective. my question then is could either of these cause it? im gunna check the mounts tomarrow-its too dark now. and the outer CV joint broke-closest to the wheel. thanks again.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-08-2005, 07:25 PM
If you can raise the entire front end off of the ground, start the engine and put it in first gear at idle (or drive for auto). Get under the car and listen for any grinding noises and such. Also, with the tranny in gear and engine off spin one wheel and see if the other spins in the opposite direction. You also shouldn't feel very little to no resistance while spinning the wheel. Just my $.02

azaccord
01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
well i went and bought a different axel and put it in and it fixxed everything-so if anyone else ever has the same symptoms, it the outer cv joint thats bad. thanks again for your help.