PDA

View Full Version : tranny (kinda long)

89T
01-08-2005, 07:05 PM
I just built my motor, boosted it,3" exhaust the whole 9 yards...
went to fill the trans (auto) it took only 2 quarts.so i started the car cycled through the gears and shut it down let it cool a little and checked the trans fluid again..It was low. so i put in another quart and it showed in between the add and full marks.. i then fired it up again cycled the gears then killed it.
checked the fluid again ,not even on the dipstick. I put in about a 1/4 quart more and that put me a hair abouve the full mark.. fine right?

I went down the street for a test run and wouldent you know it the tranny disengaged...kinda like it was in neutral.
shut the car off and then restarted it went right into drive got home and pulled into the drive stopped and idled it in drive then it did it again?

i checked the fluid again and it was fine.

i started it put it into gear it grabed for like 1min. then it disengaged.
it would'nt go into reverse or anything..

i shut it off started it up and it did the same..
i noticed that there were two lines that go from the speedo cable to the power stering pump res.the manual say's that there is a power steering speed sensor in there so i put the power steering back on and still the same problem.

i have never had any problems with this transmission..

Does anyone have any sugestions? Did i forget something?
any help would be apreciated...

Hash_man_Se_i
01-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Torque converter sounds like it might be giving you the problems?

89T
01-09-2005, 07:28 AM
i really didn't want to pull the tranny but it look's like i am gona have to.
there is a trans shop here in town that can split and rebuild the Torque converter
and up the stall speed for around $300 ...i'll probably take it up to 2800-3000 rpm.
thats if the converter is the problem..

one other question....Are the trans-cooler lines directional? Maybe i hooked those up backwards?

AccordEpicenter
01-09-2005, 08:50 AM
ahh its not really directional. If you go with a higher stall speed id strongly advise a bigger tranny cooler

89T
01-09-2005, 07:06 PM
No need to pull the trans!!!!!
I went ahead and drained the atf put a quart of flush some aamaco fluid and ran it for about 5 min cycling the gears. Drained it. filled it back up and tested it in the drive allittle bit..Perfect.
went on a road test and Damb!
She pulled so hard i think i got a woody.
(this was the first actual run after the build.)

AccordEpicenter
01-10-2005, 05:30 AM
yeah i was gonna say to jack stand the front of the car and and put the car in drive for a little bit... So whats your turbo setup? can you give us pics?

POS carb
01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
the top pipe is pressure, the lower pipe is the return line, but as mentioned that shouldn't matter

the oil has to be going somewhere, auto trans takes 3.5q I believe and if your fluid is too low it will act up but more along the lines of low performance in high rpms... if you overfill it can start to lose its grip, like a bad clutch. I'd say drain and refil... cheaper than $300 and u may get lucky

89T
01-10-2005, 06:37 PM
I for got to post that i put in some lucus trans stabilizer.

so far i have
10.5:1 je pistons
eagle h beam rods
garrett t-3
greddy boost controller
safc
msd 255lph in line fuel pump
boost timming master
mallory coil
front mount intercooler
full 3"exhaust including down pipe and cat
apexi power intake filter
1:1 rise fuel pressure reg.

I am having another broblem though..
under full boost at around 4500-5000 rpms she stumbles at the same time the check engine light comes on..
My guess is the map sensor..
i do have 1 check valve in line to vent the pressure.

Any input on this issue?
should I just keep putting more check valves?

thanks,

AccordEpicenter
01-10-2005, 06:42 PM
how much boost and what fmic and turbo mani are you using?

89T
01-10-2005, 06:53 PM
I am running at 8 psi to start.
I built an equil lenth mani.
i got one of thoes jonnyracecar fmic. I couldent afford a apexi right now.