PDA

View Full Version : help please, car shuts off and idles really low.

segahekui
01-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Ok, im not sure if this is related, but today i was installing a new HU.. i didnt get to finish installing it cuz i had to go to work, but i had most the wires crimped up. no hot wires were left out. Im not sure if it relates to this, but right after, on my way to work i near a stop sign. I push in the clutch and then i notice the car like dim. Then it shuts off kinda and the battery light and oil light comes on. I couldnt press down the breaks and the power steering was gone too.. so i start the car as im rolling and it starts fine (naturally). I brake and then go into neutrall.. and the car idles at a really low rpm, and i noticed if i rev it it will go up, then go all the way to 0 and shut off. Needless to say, the drive was really scary because on cornering if i slowed down too much it would shut off and i had to pull hard because of the no powersteer, not to mention the e-brake wasnt a big help. Im going to take it in tomorow, but i really have no idea what the problem can be. can anyone help?

Oldblueaccord
01-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Ok, im not sure if this is related, but today i was installing a new HU.. i didnt get to finish installing it cuz i had to go to work, but i had most the wires crimped up. no hot wires were left out. Im not sure if it relates to this, but right after, on my way to work i near a stop sign. I push in the clutch and then i notice the car like dim. Then it shuts off kinda and the battery light and oil light comes on. I couldnt press down the breaks and the power steering was gone too.. so i start the car as im rolling and it starts fine (naturally). I brake and then go into neutrall.. and the car idles at a really low rpm, and i noticed if i rev it it will go up, then go all the way to 0 and shut off. Needless to say, the drive was really scary because on cornering if i slowed down too much it would shut off and i had to pull hard because of the no powersteer, not to mention the e-brake wasnt a big help. Im going to take it in tomorow, but i really have no idea what the problem can be. can anyone help?

Did you have the battery unhooked? I have an 88 LXI and if I unhook the battery for any lenght of time it wont idle until I drive it about 30 miles highway. Dunno why but I have had the car since 1992 and its always done this. If you let of the gas really really easy and not brake it might idle but like at 100 rpm LOL.

wp

buds302
01-08-2005, 11:50 PM
ok first rule when posting a problem thread is TELL US WHAT YOU DRIVE!!!!!!!
then we can help(maybe).
so you got idle problems huh? join the crowd!
no i dont have idle problems but i can help. uh if you drive an lxi( wich means fuel injected) there is a little brass screw right on top of the throttle body,right near that little red braided hose. see it? anyway thats your idle adjustment screw just start the car and turn the screw you will notice the rpms go up. if you go the wrong way then it might stall. not a problem just turn the screw the oppisate direction and try again. also when you pop the hood and you see the red label on the underside of the hood. that will tell you what the idle is supposed to be at. and what the timing is supposed to be set at. oh yeah make sure the timing is right bfore you go messin with the screw. just fyi!
i know dont tell me you drive a carb dont you? well your on your own on finding that one out. i dont know shit about carbs. dont worry though someone will be along shortly to help you!!!

segahekui
01-08-2005, 11:55 PM
haha sorry man :hs:
i drive a '88 lxi hatch, so that info did help. Whats the reasons that the idle would go down that much?

(haha yeah i went to the technical subforum *where i probably shoulda posted* and saw tons of idle problems)

buds302
01-09-2005, 12:11 AM
most of the time its the draw on the engine. if you installed a hu that draws more power than that could have done it. but other reasons are they just come loose and vibrate out. these cars are old man and if an idle is all you got than your in pretty good shape

segahekui
01-09-2005, 12:14 AM
yeah it used to be vinny's so its well taken care of, but i thought the power draw would be the problem so i disconnected everything when i got to my job.. on the way back it was still the same

edit: this morning i adjusted the idle speed and all day it ran fine, thanks bud for the help :thumbup: