PDA

View Full Version : 20mph w/o touching gas

Tespo87AccordDX
01-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Is this normal? I'm at a complete stop. I let off the brake. My car goes faster and faster and soon switches to 2nd. I got up to a steady 20mph without touching the gas. Is this normal and if not, should I fix it?

Vanilla Sky
01-09-2005, 10:42 PM
i'm willing to bet your idle is set too high, or your timing is off AND your idle high...

3gn86lxi
01-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Uuuumm..not normal, you should fix it! Make sure timing is correct, and or adjust the idle.
Just like vanilla said.

snow_man_20
01-10-2005, 12:36 AM
could be vacume, most likely idle set high, has it always done it, just started or progresivly goten worse?

Tespo87AccordDX
01-10-2005, 08:04 AM
It has always done this. Can someone tell me how to set idle or point me to another thread? Thanks for the help.

Immeraufdemhund
01-10-2005, 08:13 AM
you have to take off your air cleaner holder black box thingy. and there is a skrew that is attached to your throttle cable. I think it takes a flat head and back it out with the car on at normal operating temp. till it idles at about 700-1000rpm. Also if you want to check for vacuum leak get some carb cleaner and spray all of your vacuum hoses and if your idle goes up considerably change that hose.

A20A1
01-10-2005, 08:45 AM
It's a philips head... the screw is on the left side of the carb, it's not really on the throttle cable but beneath it.

A vacuum leak can cause the idle / throttle contorller to open the throttle more then normal. Before you adjust the screws check for a vacuum leak. Trouble is you have to run your car without the air cleaner on the carb, this will require you to plug some vacuum lines that were once conected to the underside of the air cleaner.

A20A1
01-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Here is the link so that you can run the carb without the air box on... when you can start spraying the vacuum lines with carb cleaner do it in small spurts in a tiny area... the more direct the spray is the easier it will be to pinpoint the vacuum leak location... do not spray into or near the mouth of the carburetor or it will suck in the carb cleaner and you'll get a false result. When you spray the vacuum line connections listen for a change in idle speed, make sure the motor has fully warmed up before running the tests. If you want you can start the warm up process with the air box still installed on the carb. After the car has warmed up then just turn off the car and follow the steps for removing the air cleaner and plug the vacuum ports and then start the car up again and run the tests.

TEST YOUR CARB WITH AIR CLEANER REMOVED ( CLICK HERE ) (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38108)

HondaBoy
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
how about when your car's out of gear. like in park or neutral, what rpm is it at? just wondering. the things the other guys listed are pretty much right. a busted vacuum line is what i'd suspect. usually the idle screw doesnt change position by itself.

accordlxi2.0
01-10-2005, 12:42 PM
ummm...well i guess mines is'nt normal.
i could let it go up to 10-13mph and it'll shift into 2nd byitself.

Vanilla Sky
01-10-2005, 09:15 PM
hey man... you're only in tampa... drive it up to palatka and i'll fix it... that or i'll give you $50 for the car and a ride home :p

Ludi Mali
01-10-2005, 11:42 PM
i know one time i was changing the wiper motor and i hooked one of those wires/tubes on the engine hook to get it out of the way, and my idle was about 4 grand for apparently no reason, couldn't figure out what it was till i rememberd i moved those things, i'm assuming they were vacuum lines or a throttle cable or something. but unhooked them and the idle went back down.

A20A1
01-11-2005, 07:11 AM
If you unhooked the idle solenoids, I aussme they were bleeding vacuum.. so when you removed the wires the solenoid shut the valve and no more vacuum was bled.

Ludi Mali
01-11-2005, 01:23 PM
not unhooked as in disconnected, just undid the hooking that I originally did