PDA

View Full Version : anyone replaced a combo switch???

88'er
01-10-2005, 01:42 PM
ok so i've narrowed it down and one of my headlight problems that causes the lights to turn off by themselves in the combo switch in the steering column. i need to replace that damn thing. so i was wondering if anyone has done that in there 3g and if so how much is the switch and how hard would it be for someone like me who is not the greatest wrench???? also how long should it take me?

Blkblurr
01-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I have worked on mine to get the e flashers to work again. Call a dealer to get a price. It is not hard at all to replace. Take the Honda emblem off the wheel to expose the nut that holds the wheel on. I think there are four screws that hold the combo switch but don't remember anymore. you can look this up in the service manual that is online at this site.

gekko
01-10-2005, 01:55 PM
iv'e done it and its easy , but mine was broke when i bought the car so i changed the whole switch with wires and stuff ... only the switch is easy .. off with the steering wheel and 2 screws i think and don't drop the bearing that keeps the blinkers on

88'er
01-10-2005, 02:11 PM
i just searched and tried to find a service manual on here but couldn't find it, can u tell me where it is????

gekko
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM
take a look in the second post

http://www.3geez.com/search.php?searchid=131141 :sadwave:

edit or if to hard http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

joker2
01-11-2005, 06:27 AM
If I were you I would try the junkyard first because the combo switch from the dealer is going to cost you an arm and a leg..... I remember when mine went out, I got a used one from the junkyard for like $10, the dealer wanted over $100 for it.... :rolleyes:

HondaBoy
01-11-2005, 11:42 AM
that combo switch assembley on the column is listed at over $180, maybe can get for $130 or so. that's brand new. yeah, definately go to the junk yard. last time i took my steering wheel off, i checked out the combo switch. i think it was when i took the dash out of the car. anyway, it was pretty easy to take out and out back in. nothing more than taking things off in order and putting them back in reverse order. although i suppose some people can get confused while doing that. there's the piece that clicks the blinker lever off while turning that needs to get lined up like it was when it's taken off. that's the only thing i had a problem with because i put it on outta place somewhat. to take the steering wheel off you need to carefully pop off the center H emblem cap. then you'll need to find out if you have the right size socket to take the nut off the center of the wheel. other than that, its basicly just phillips screw driver thats needed.

mykwikcoupe
01-14-2005, 08:49 PM
hardest part is lining up the steering wheel again so when you drive straight thr sterring wheel isnt cocked to one side

88'er
01-18-2005, 04:29 PM
yea i find that out the hard way! so how do i get it on straight.

86AccordLxi
01-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Trial and error? That's how I did it. I ended up buying a combo switch from the j/y that lasted 2 days before it blew up. That made me think I had deeper electrical issues. Took it to the mechanic and he replaced the combo switch with a new honda one (that was $184 if I remember correctly) plus an hour or two of labor. ARGH. It's a simple swap though. Too bad there's no real way to test if the j/y combo switch works before buying (I paid $55 for mine).

Alex

bigbrat41
01-21-2005, 02:15 AM
:idea: when we replaced the heater core in the 88dx this past summer i got out the sharpie and made marks on the steering wheel and the bolt BEFORE starting ( works greaT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TORQUE WRENCH).
THE STEERING WHEEL MOUNTS ONTO A SPLINED SHAFT WHICH IS WHERE THE ALIGNMENT PROBLEM COMES UP. A COUPLE OF TEETH OFF AND YOU'RE RUNNING DOWN THE ROAD WITH THE WHEEL CROOKED.
TRY FINDING 2 PLACES TO MAKE ALIGNMENT MARKSBEFORE REMOVING THE STEERING WHEEL. 1 on the wheel itself and 1 on the shaft.
wish i'd have thought of this before I pulled my steering wheel.
good luck :uh:

NeubJ
04-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Are the combo switches different for the 86-87 and 88-89? My headlight switch is broken. So I went to the junkyard and only found 86-87 accords. Since I didnt have a choice I took one off a 87. Everything looks the same when comparing it. (wires match -plugs-with a few minor appearance differences)

The next day
Everything bolted up but after putting on the plastic cover the turn signal lever doesnt go all the way down. Due to the cover. Minor complaint when saving money.

Also how do I line up the return signal piece? I tried putting it back the same way i took it off. Nothing. After messing with it still nothing. I am thinking it has to do with the year of the car I pulled off the combo switch. I tried both return signal devices too.

YK86
04-10-2005, 01:15 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=41956&highlight=turn+signal

It has the details on what fits and what doesn't.