PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue

Arseassin
01-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Tonight I was out toying with my car, and I unscrewed the driver side door panel, and looked behind to see if I could find any way to take that ugly black trim off of my car, saw that I couldnt and put it back.

After that I moved up to the dash to see how difficult it was to pull the housing for the spedo and other gagues off, and pulled the little panel out, unscrewed the two screws, and lightly pulled to see if it would just slide out, and it didnt so I put the screws back in, then I moved to the trunk.

When I was in the trunk, I was checking my back left speaker to see if it was blown (and it is) and in the process of doing that I unplugged the speaker, and plugged the wires into my 12' that I have sitting back there waiting for housing and an amp, and I left the volume very low to see if it would work, and it did, so I unplugged it from the 12' and put it back into the blown speaker, and closed the trunk, then I took a ride up to the gas station to get a coke.

On the way to the gas station I plugged in my little biohazard light-up air freshener into my powerpoint (cigarette lighter thing) and noticed that instead of shining its usual super bright blue light, it was flickering, so when I got back I first thought mabye the light in the thing was gone, so I went and put it in my wrangler, and it worked fine, so I went back and tried again, and it was still flickering, sometimes it will stay solid bright, then it will start flickering again for no reason, even when the car is off and sitting still with no vibrations and nothing else on.

Anyone have any clue wtf is going on with it?

Blkblurr
01-11-2005, 05:15 AM
The flickering is most likely because the voltage it's receiving is low enough that it cannot light properly. blue LED's need about 3.4 volts to work properly. You must have a bad connection to the lighter or maybe a fuse that is corroded or loose that feeds the lighter. I don't think the lighter power goes through the connectors in the dash but if it does then maybe one of the many connectors on the back of the dash circuit board is loose.

Arseassin
01-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Ok, thanks man.

I'll go check the fuses, and I should have enough of em laying around to replace most if not all of them for good measure.

If it turns out not being the fuses, how would I go about getting to the back of the powerpoint to check the connections?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-11-2005, 07:29 PM
The cigarette lighter is on the same fuse as the dome light. It doesn't sound like a fuse problem though. If you can, get a voltmeter and measure the voltage over the +/- terminals in the lighter. It should be around 12 volts. This might also point to a problem with the alternator, particularly the voltage regulator. If it is malfunctioning, your voltage may fluctuate causing a sensitive light like an LED to show it. Look at your gauge lighting closely and see if it dims as well. Hope this helps.

Arseassin
01-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I got it fixed everyone, thanks for the help.

I found out that the powerpoint was apparently loose, so I yanked out the ash tray and unscrewed the bracket for it, reached back in there and tightened everything up, works fine now.