PDA

View Full Version : 3g had to be towed home today

od2681
01-11-2005, 05:03 PM
well as soon as i got off work..i went to start my car and it wouldnt start
it has done this before but it ignited for a while before and died down...
this time it wouldnt even ignite....so my mechanic freind came over..and he deduced that it was the fuel pump..
cuzz he opened up the fuel line and tried to start the car..fuel came but had like no pressure whatsoever....also thinks that it might be the fuel pressure regulator
we even tried quickstart stuff..didnt help..car would ignite only while it was sprayin.....
when my car was towed and brought home..it started right up.....the tow truck guy was sayin somethin bout fuel filters ..that the accord has like little glass things..and i dont know what he was sayin...supposedly there are four of em..and they get shit stuck in em....2 by the gas tank and 1 or 2 by the engine bay...couldnt understand cuzz he spoke little english...
so eyah...so i dont know what to do...
i think this might be the end of the 3g for me....
probs.
unknown fuel prob
valve tapping noises
oil leakin from rear main seal
sometimes will burn oil
no AC

hondamanlxi
01-11-2005, 05:26 PM
jeez, if my car ONLY did those things id be happy! No, seriously, its apprantly a fuel deilver issue. Its most likey the filters(the intank one too) and secondly the pump. Grand total to replace the filter and a pump (walbro) is like $150. Really, has your car been that bad to you that its not worth $150?

as for your other problems: Take the hour to adjust your valves, next time you replace a clutch fix your leak, and deal with no a/c! its for wimps anyways ;)

My current problems:
-bad exhaust vibration
-valve lash not right
-bouncy ass ride
-uses/leaks alittle oil
-weak p/w
-and oh yeah, A ROD KNOCKING!

but all this plus the trans/axle problems wont stop me this time! Its an excuse to get built!

2old_honda
01-11-2005, 05:29 PM
well as soon as i got off work..i went to start my car and it wouldnt start
it has done this before but it ignited for a while before and died down...
this time it wouldnt even ignite....so my mechanic freind came over..and he deduced that it was the fuel pump..
cuzz he opened up the fuel line and tried to start the car..fuel came but had like no pressure whatsoever....also thinks that it might be the fuel pressure regulator
we even tried quickstart stuff..didnt help..car would ignite only while it was sprayin.....
when my car was towed and brought home..it started right up.....the tow truck guy was sayin somethin bout fuel filters ..that the accord has like little glass things..and i dont know what he was sayin...supposedly there are four of em..and they get shit stuck in em....2 by the gas tank and 1 or 2 by the engine bay...couldnt understand cuzz he spoke little english...
so eyah...so i dont know what to do...
i think this might be the end of the 3g for me....
probs.
unknown fuel prob
valve tapping noises
oil leakin from rear main seal
sometimes will burn oil
no AC

This is an LXi right? LXi's only have one fuel filter. Its a can looking thing mounted on the firewall with two hoses coming out the top of it.

Where did your friend open up the fuel line? Was it before or after the filter? before or after the regulator?

Your problem is probably one these things:
weak fuel pump
clogged filter
bad main relay
or could be a bad FPR

What I would do is replace the main relay and fuel filter first. these are both easy and pretty cheap. they are also things that should be done to the car at this age anyway.

If that dosent work then your next step is probably to replace the fuel pump.

You can fix your valve tapping noise by adjusting your valves. There is a how to on this in the how to forum. very easy to do.

3gn86lxi
01-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey, you say that you have an Accel coil. Are you still running that, if so put your original coil back on and see what happens. I just had similar problems, wouldnt start at all, then it would occasionally fire and run.
Then I took off the Accel and put my original coil in, runs great, problem solved!
Try it, see what happens. :alc:

od2681
01-12-2005, 12:10 AM
my car was doin this when i had the original coil too
see im doint know how to work on cars...so parts arent the problem...its getting that stuff put in or fixed
got my valves adjusted from a my mech..they still tap but not that loudly

he took the line off after the regulator...

i need the AC cuzz i live in houston man...it gets too hot and i have to drive 3 days about 80 miles each day

od2681
01-12-2005, 12:27 AM
does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is
someone told me that it could just be taht\
cuzz whjen i got home..my car started right up

2old_honda
01-12-2005, 01:22 AM
does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is
someone told me that it could just be taht\
cuzz whjen i got home..my car started right up

thats the main relay. its a common problem on these cars for those to act up. Its under the left side of the dashboard. I dont have a LXi so I can tell you exactly where it is. maybe check the service manual (check the stickey, you can download it)

its really easy to replace. just pull the old one out and plug the new one in.

od2681
01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
i tried lookin for 20 mins..couldnt find the relay where you said it might be....found a switch..duno what that does

hondamanlxi
01-12-2005, 12:38 PM
its not the relay, it would pump ANY fuel then.

Pull the line off the filter and see if their pressure back their, keep backing down the system till you figure were the blockage/problem is

2old_honda
01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
its not the relay, it would pump ANY fuel then.

Pull the line off the filter and see if their pressure back their, keep backing down the system till you figure were the blockage/problem is

it very well could be the relay. the intermittent nature is a classic symptom