PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket or Honda??

SiZ
01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
I need some expertise on whether to get a thermostat right from Honda or if it's fine to just get an aftermarket one?

Also, what are the best sparkplug wires to get?

Any advice would be great!!

A20A1
01-11-2005, 08:37 PM
I use Stant I forget the temperature rating though.

most wires will get you around the same performance... the thicker the wire doesn't mean it's better it just has more insulation...

I have a custom set of Accel wires, you need to cut and crimp them yourself but it makes for a nicer fit.

epic1400cs
01-15-2005, 04:14 PM
When I bought my Neuspeed Plug Wire, I looked up some info about after market wire. There seems to be various factor to say 'Good Wire' but low resistance of the wire seems to be important to me. Below are figure from their advertisment therefore there is no guarantee that their actual product have the same value but I took it as reference. OHM/FT is obviously resistance (Ohm) per 1 foot. If the cable is longer, there are more resistance.

NGK Hyper Silicon Power Cable (light Blue) 900 OHM/M (272.7 OHM/FT)
Neuspeed Honda wires 275 OHM/FT
Accel 8.8mm coil wire kit 500 OHM/FT
NGK Plg Cable (dark Blue on ebay) 8000 OHM/M (2424.2 OHM/FT)

NGK OEM cable 16000 OHM/M (4848.5 OHM/FT)

There are more company who sells good cable for our cars but above lists were my option (I live in UK and not many shops are happy to ship them to abroad.) The Neusped was on ebay around $20 so I bought the set. The impression was very good. I immediately noticed the quieter and smooth idling and most of all the shift shock of my A/T has almost gone.

Trouble is that the construction of the cable is not very good. Once I pulled the cable to remove it from engine and only the cable came out. So I had to dismantle the plug cap and fix the cable to metal fitting. Since then I am very careful not to pull the cale but the rubber boots. Apart from that, it is very good.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Thermostat you either want to get oem or napa super stat (this one is the closest to oem) Go and get the proper thermostat gaskets from honda though.

I have Taylor 8mm wires. www.pepboys.com has them for like $35

SteveDX89
01-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Get an OEM T-stat. Plug wires, OEM.

accordlxi2.0
01-15-2005, 06:11 PM
yea i say oem....
for some reason my 180* t-stat makes the engine run a bit hot.....

SiZ
01-19-2005, 06:58 AM
Okay thanks, my mechanic said the best way to go is just to get one from Honda.
So, I did that, and she's all taken care of now.