PDA

View Full Version : axle came out¿

mag_pbg
01-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I started loosing alot of tranny fluid and got to looking and say that on the passanger side the inner boot on the cv axle is about a inch to half a inch from the acual tranny case, is this normal to be that far out or is it out of place, if it is out place, is it possible to pop it back in with out having to take off the hug assembly¿

2old_honda
01-12-2005, 12:17 PM
no its not normal. that thing should not have come out. check you ball joints, control arms, and engine mounts. you probably have something more serous going on than just the axle.

BITESIZE
01-12-2005, 01:14 PM
With my automatic tranny...my axle fell out twice...on the passenger side....the cotter pin was not working correctly. Good luck!

Vanilla Sky
01-12-2005, 05:07 PM
i had this problem, too... it was a binding inner CV joint...

SavageG
01-12-2005, 07:35 PM
I had this happen too. You can't get it back in (or at least I couldn't) without tearing the whole thing down. If I remember right you have to take off the upper ball joint, lower ball joint and tie rod.

mag_pbg
01-13-2005, 05:35 AM
well we got it back in, not the smartest way, we took a hammer and started tapping the inner boot till it snappd back into place.

HostileJava
01-13-2005, 06:07 AM
If it pops out again I would replace that CV joint, or better yet, the whole axle. Also if it comes out again, be sure to examine the shaft and make sure the snap ring is still on the end and that it didn't end up laying in the input hole in the tranny some where.

mag_pbg
01-13-2005, 06:19 AM
See thats what I thought could be the prob. is that the snap ring came off, becuase I had a shop rebuild the tranny, and thought maybe the either didn't tighten the hub nut, not put it all the way in, or the snap ring came off, I droe it to work (15 miles) and back last night and so far it hasn't came out again, monday im supposed to go tot he tranny place and see if they might know what is wrong.

BlueBead
01-13-2005, 09:26 AM
They're probably just gonna say "gee, it looks ok.. come back if it does it again'...... make sure everything is put back together right and you should be ok. The snap ring is a bitch to put on, so I doubt it just came off. Good luck man

HostileJava
01-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Yes, it's a b%tch to put on, but I had one pop off slightly and become mangled. So it is a possiblity.