PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear cover and flywheel question... help!

hootymo
01-13-2005, 03:21 AM
well im tackling my biggest job ever, im replacing my clutch. and i noticed when i got the tranny off that the 5th gear cover has a hole in it, like something broke through it. is this a bad thing, or is it supposed to be like that like the timing hole to see the flywheel through, is this the same concept? i cant imagine this is normal because it looks like it was broken through, but i want to be sure. also, when replacing the clutch is it absolutely necessary to have the flywheel resurfaced or can i just leave it?? thanks!!

HostileJava
01-13-2005, 06:26 AM
Can you get a picture of what you're talking about? It's been a little while since I looked at my tranny. The only thing I did with my flywheel when I took it off was hit it with some sand paper lightly to get the buildup off of it. But I would do the resurfacing if you have the money.

shepherd79
01-13-2005, 01:13 PM
something is wrong with your tranny.
the 5th gear cover should have no holes in it. remove the cover and inspect the tranny.

AZmike
01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Exactly what shepherd said about the fifth gear cover.

Your flywheel doesn't need to be resurfaced if the friction surface is still in good condition. It should have no gouges, no warpage, and not be discolored from heat. Mine looked fine when I replaced my clutch and just cleaned it with brake cleaner and a scotch pad it it's been working fine for 30k.

BlueBead
01-13-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm in the same boat with the clutch being gone... my clutch disk lost a spring, which dropped down between it and the pressure plate and made it impossible to shift at all. I tried taking off the flywheel, but it's not working out.. I blew two sockets apart and I don't have impact, so since the surface looks good I'm just going to wetsand the glazing off and put the new clutch on. I was planning on having the flywheel resurfaced, since its a good idea, but events have conspired against me..
Good luck hootymo

hootymo
01-14-2005, 04:51 AM
thanks for the input guys. sure enough, i drained the tranny yesterday to find little pieces of shredded metal coming out with the gear oil. then , i pulled the 5th gear cover and whatdya know... the 2 gears sitting there are shredded to pieces! looks like its time to hit the yard and pick up a tranny, i got one near me that will sell me a low mileage one (58k) for $175, so looks like that's the way to go. turns out my clutch is fine after all! hey anyone got any ideas too on how to keep the lower ball joint bolt from turning while tightening it? i cant get my ball joint back on because the bolt keeps turning instead of the nut turning! any ideas? thanks guys!!!!!!!!

sjsjbb
02-08-2006, 09:48 AM
i took a pair of vicegrips and held smmooth part of stud while i had it out of hole and screwed bolt on little and off clean threads with wire brush. and repeat till nut screws on compleatly . then stick back in and hit up on bottom of where it goes through to seat it in a bit and screw nut on a little at a time spraying with lube it worked for me good luck