PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear whine

jaiden
01-13-2005, 06:29 AM
I hear a high pitched whining noise when I'm in 5th gear and under load. when I'm off the gas it goes away. I changed my tranny fluid, but that didn't help. Any idea what's making the noise? Anything I can do about it? Is a new tranny in my future?

AccordNut
01-13-2005, 08:18 AM
does it sound like the gears do on a remote control car? thats what mine sounded like before the tranny went dead...its possible its just the 5th gear, thats the first gear that always goes when the tranny is old. you can replace 5th gear somewhere(i got mine replaced for $250) if you dont intend to have the car long, if you want to hold on to it replace the tranny! good luck

BlueBead
01-13-2005, 09:38 AM
I have the exact same thing. I put in new honda tranny fluid and some tranny medic stuff and it didn't help at all. Apparently 5th gear can be replaced without pulling the tranny, but from what I was told you can ignore the whine and drive it till it dies and then just giver' in 4th. I've got a spare tranny I'm going to rebuild for when that happens, but the 5th gear replacement is probably cheaper than messing with a different tranny. Good luck man, I hope we're both lucky in this one

Oldblueaccord
01-13-2005, 01:57 PM
I have the exact same thing. I put in new honda tranny fluid and some tranny medic stuff and it didn't help at all. Apparently 5th gear can be replaced without pulling the tranny, but from what I was told you can ignore the whine and drive it till it dies and then just giver' in 4th. I've got a spare tranny I'm going to rebuild for when that happens, but the 5th gear replacement is probably cheaper than messing with a different tranny. Good luck man, I hope we're both lucky in this one

If its a light whine its normal cuz 5 th is a sun/planetary design they'll be some whine to it. Make sure the oil level is correct it should run out the fill hole thats mid way upthe case. I use 10/30 Mobil one it calls for 10/30 but you could go a little thicker.

wp

AZmike
01-13-2005, 04:33 PM
If its a light whine its normal cuz 5 th is a sun/planetary design they'll be some whine to it. Make sure the oil level is correct it should run out the fill hole thats mid way upthe case. I use 10/30 Mobil one it calls for 10/30 but you could go a little thicker.

wp

The 5 speeds for out cars to not have sun planetary arrangement. A faint whine may be normal, especially if you can only hear it when driving near a wall with the passenger window open. If you notice the whine is getting louder, espcially under load, the splines on the countershaft 5th gear may be about to go. They may go next week or in two more years. Either way, when they fail they eat up the splines on your countershaft anytime you try to use fifth and get hard steel bits all over the inside of the transmission.

Oldblueaccord
01-14-2005, 12:56 AM
The 5 speeds for out cars to not have sun planetary arrangement. A faint whine may be normal, especially if you can only hear it when driving near a wall with the passenger window open. If you notice the whine is getting louder, espcially under load, the splines on the countershaft 5th gear may be about to go. They may go next week or in two more years. Either way, when they fail they eat up the splines on your countershaft anytime you try to use fifth and get hard steel bits all over the inside of the transmission.

Page 14-13 bottom of the page yep its not a planatary design.
I only use 5th on highway or over 55 mph keeps the strain off the motor and tranny.

wp