PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow Universal vs. XL

sporkHSP
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know the difference between the universal line and the XL line (not 3chamber) of Magnaflow mufflers... the descriptions sound basically the same, but the XL is priced cheaper...

also does anyone know th edifference between the powerpacks and the round body mufflers... they have a 4inch 2.25 inch core powerpack muffler and a 4 inch 2.5 inch core round body muffler, either of which would most likely fit where the resonator is... the power pack is priced cheaper.

I have been looking around and the Magnaflow website doesn't say anything about the XL mufflers with tips or about the powerpack mufflers... all of the distributors list them though.

A20A1
01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Show me the link to the site and mufflers and I'll do my best to see what they mean...

In the mean time there are a few basic designs...

1) Straight Thru
Packed with ? or Glass packed
Holes are drilled in the walls for the exhaust to go thru
Sometimes have angled inner baffles

2) Chambered mufflers

round body usually means a bullet or canister style muffler... circular, not Oval like normal mufflers. Round body most likely is Straight thru design.

sporkHSP
01-13-2005, 07:09 PM
all say they are straight through design.

check http://www.muscleexhaust.com/catalog/index.php
or http://www.justmagnaflow.com/

compare 13983 to 14815
and 14494 to 14415 and 14459 (14459 has a wierd picture on muscleexhaust)

A20A1
01-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know the difference between the universal line and the XL line (not 3chamber) of Magnaflow mufflers... the descriptions sound basically the same, but the XL is priced cheaper...

also does anyone know th edifference between the powerpacks and the round body mufflers... they have a 4inch 2.25 inch core powerpack muffler and a 4 inch 2.5 inch core round body muffler, either of which would most likely fit where the resonator is... the power pack is priced cheaper....

In the case of the power pack Vs the Round body, I assume it's the amount of materials used... the construction... like how it's welded, and the extra attention to detail for the round body. The Power Pack is unpolished Stainless Steel with apparently no Magnaflow stamped into the metal case. Also it could be the packing material since the round body didn't mention what it was packed with... it just said it had a perforated core. Also the Powerpacks have no ends on them, so it makes it a little harder to install out of the box IMO.

4" Round Body:
Center In/Out: 2"
Core: 2.5"
Length: 14"/20"
[14414] $58.36

4" XL Power Pack Magnapack Case
Core: 2.25"
Length: 14"
[14459] $25.68

I read somewhere that a longer resonator will get rid of that annoying rasp or buzz the muffler puts out when it revs. Especially in the higher rpms.

As for the Universal mufflers... are they stainless steel or Aluminized steel, the stainless ones will be more expensive.

sporkHSP
01-13-2005, 10:08 PM
both are stainless i believe... I think I'm going with the universal instead of the XL, the universal has a lifetime warrenty and the XL has a 1 year... as far as the powerpack vs the 4inch roundbody; I will wait to see how the universal sounds before I buy and install the second muffler...