PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start, but battery is good...

Mike's89AccordLX
01-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Well the accord won't start. I charged up the battery and it cranks like once and then it kinda thuded. I'm assuming the starter is crap. I have none of my tools at home so I guess I will have to drive the car that has bad brakes :(

Any help would be nice.

Oldblueaccord
01-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Well the accord won't start. I charged up the battery and it cranks like once and then it kinda thuded. I'm assuming the starter is crap. I have none of my tools at home so I guess I will have to drive the car that has bad brakes :(

Any help would be nice.

BAd brakes dont you got that syringe thingy to fix that?

Try having someone tap on the starter while you bump it over. Solenoid might be stuck.

I guess no tools means no voltage meter etc. Battery should be 12.7 volts charged maybe the voltage drop when you start it be about 11v and the amp draw I dunno might be 30-60 amps just a guess.

Physically check the ground. My new battery the bolt on the ground clamp was ass tight but the clamp was loose on the post. Make sure the ground goes somewhere and make sure the ground to the valve cover is hooked up.

wp

BlueBead
01-16-2005, 12:23 AM
if its a 5spd you can try a rolling start.. pop the clutch to starter up

88Accord-DX
01-16-2005, 04:03 AM
I was going to mention the old school trick too of "hitting the starter with a hammer" while someone starts it, but was waiting for other replies first.
Didn't want to say something to soon & no other advise come after my reply.....
If you park on hills everywhere you go, that would work too. lol

Oldblueaccord
01-16-2005, 04:55 AM
I was going to mention the old school trick too of "hitting the starter with a hammer" while someone starts it, but was waiting for other replies first.
Didn't want to say something to soon & no other advise come after my reply.....
If you park on hills everywhere you go, that would work too. lol

The only thing that kicks that in the ass is if your batery is stone dead the fuel pump isnt on and usually it wont go.

wp

Mike's89AccordLX
01-16-2005, 08:37 AM
I will try hitting the starter. I guess that thud I felt might be b/c of a worn motor mount....

86LXItooFAST4me
01-16-2005, 08:54 AM
has it acted up on you befor mike? ever been hard to start? and does/did the engine sound like it was tring really hard when you turned it over?

you might wanna just double check your timing just to make sure. and if you have another means of trasport, take out your battery and starter (its just 2 bolts on the starter, just kinda hard to get too :D) and take them up to a Oreilly's or Autozone and have them check them both. i know O'Reilly's will load test batterys and recharge them for free if they are weak. starter test are free as well.

but yeah, try tapping on the starter. an easier way if you have a 5 speed is to just put in in gear while the engine is off ( obviously) and push the car back and for. basically to rock the engine crank (which is connected the the flywheel that has the ring gear the starter rides on :D). that will sometimes kick the solinoid

PS- i forgot you said you had no tools, so i dont know man. go to walmart and buy a half assed "get you by" set of tools for $10 maybe???

Mike's89AccordLX
01-16-2005, 09:56 AM
I have my portable midtronics starting and charging systems tester. But I need to get it started to test the starter and alternator. The battery tested fine. Optima red top. I will just wait and maybe try and get it started later and hopefully drive it up to school or I will get a tow up there. Bottom line is I'm not going to freeze my butt off to fix this again.

-Mike

Once you work in a warm shop with a bunch of hoists you really don't feel like doing crap in your driveway anymore :)

86LXItooFAST4me
01-16-2005, 10:05 AM
mike im sure you know, but you do know that a voltage test and a load test are two different things right? ive seen HUNDREDS of batterys that tested fine on the metter but failed the load test. just FYI

but i feel you on the freezing temp. i mean im in Texas and it only gets like +30 and thats too cold for me. i could not even imagin it being colder. i would die, lol.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Um this $1500 tool that I have does both. I don't have my fluke 87 so this is what I have at the time. The midtronic tool lets me know what state of charge the battery is at, state of health, and voltage. Then if you do starter and alternator tests it does the load tests and checks to make sure that the cranking volts of the starter and everything is ok.

Damn vikings....