PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny Problem

AD9SloAccrd
01-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Alright, I have an 89 LX, 166,XXX miles, tranny rebuilt around 140,XXX.

Last night it was pretty cold out and I had noticed my transmission was shifting a little hard. I figured it was normal because it was cold. Well as i went to accellerate on an on-ramp to the highway, the car just stopped gaining speed at around 50 mph and there was a little vibration. I pulled the the shoulder and let it sit for a couple minutes, tried moving, would not shift out of first. I waited another 5 minutes or so (cops showed up ran my ID and asked if I needed help or what not) I tried going again, and it was like nothing was wrong, it went like it was normal.

Could the problem be that I have a low fluid level or something? It has been driven in colder temperatures than this and it has never done it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :hs:

A20A1
01-16-2005, 12:43 PM
yeah could be low fluid level... what was the temp gause showing on your dash... the trans fluid is cooled by the radiator fluid.

AD9SloAccrd
01-16-2005, 12:48 PM
The temperature gauge was normal.

I'm going to check the fluid level later, I know it has to be warm. I forgot my Haynes manual at home over my winter break so i do not know where the dipstick for the tranny is. :help:

snow_man_20
01-17-2005, 07:06 AM
its in the front of the trany, (radiator side) It could be like a cap or like a oil dip stick but alot shorter. its buy the conection of the trany and the block. hope this helps

BlueBead
01-17-2005, 09:34 AM
If you have A/C its a real biatch to find... the Haynes manual doesn't really help....if I remeber right from my hatchie it's down on the front of the tranny(towards the radiator) about 8 or 9 inches from the timing hole. The cap is pretty small(like 2inch diameter) and has one of those raised center 'fins' to help in undoing it. Mine was covered in crap and was camouflaged by the A/C hoses. Hopefully its just low fluid... Good luck man!

A20A1
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Here is a thread that should help answer your questions
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=40885

There is an animated image showing proper TV cable adjustment and also there is an image showing the location of the Transmission filler cap / dipstick.

AD9SloAccrd
01-17-2005, 12:45 PM
I just got back inside from my attempt at checking the fluid level. Number one, it's like 0 degrees here (literally). Number two, I could barely get to the dipstick. I got to it and tore my hands apart trying to get the damn thing off and there is so much stuff in the way of it. :ugh:

AD9SloAccrd
01-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Yesterday I drove it again... it was fine -- for a little bit. It would go up to 70 just fine. But after a little bit, it started to stumble a little bit and I would put the pedal to the floor to try and gain speed and it wouldn't do anything!?!? Eventually it would gain speed again, but it struggles. I really can't tell if this is a transmission problem or not. Could the cold have something to do with it?? it is cold as nuts here.

gp02a0083
01-19-2005, 10:02 PM
i kinda have the same problem , im not shure on how to check the fluid lvl in the hond , i nkow in other cars the car had to be running to check the ATF fluid