PDA

View Full Version : engine cuts out then stalls when driving.... HELP

hootymo
01-16-2005, 04:26 PM
hi, i have an 87 accord carbureted. starts up fine, runs fine, but first when i come to stop lights she idles really low and almost stalls. also, when driving like above 40 in 4th or 5th gear it starts to sputter and then i try to give it gas and all it does it sit there, then i take it out of gear and let it into neutral and it stalls. then i try to restart it and it takes 30 seconds to a minute of cranking to get it started again... what on earth could this be? its pretty cold around here, 20 degrees average. i am really new to carbs and have no idea if its the carb or what it is, but its bad. i cant even drive the car now because anytime i go over 40 or cruise steady for awhile it just starts sputtering and cutting out, then cuts off completely and wont restart. please help. thanks!

A20A1
01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Fuel pump could be giving out... or your fuel filters ( there are 2 of them ) are clogged.

There is also a solenoid bolted the the back of the carburetor... I beleive it's called the primary slow mixture cut-off solenoid
This solenoid needs to have power when the car is running or you wont get enough fuel.

Remove the lid of the air cleaner and also the metal gold colored screen that is held down by two bolts... warm the car up fully. The temp needle should read normal operating temp... or wait for the radiator fan to come on at least once... that may or may not happen in the winter though with the car at idle.

Anyways once it's warmed up fully check to see that the choke plate isn't closed.
also lift the air cleaner off of the carburetor slightly and check the fuel level in the float window.

A20A1
01-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Here are some threads to look at.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38108

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5350

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972

hootymo
01-16-2005, 08:35 PM
well i know i have a bad water pump, i just realized that today. its making a lot of noise and i am noticing little green puddles everywhere i park, so do you think that's what's causing my problem? because I am also noticing that the car is taking FOREVER to heat up. my other accord i had used to heat up really fast (it wasn't carbureted but same engine) so i figured this one should too, then i noticed the water pump. i think i will change the t-stat while im at it too, but would this be the possible cause of my hesitation at highway speeds and stalling at idle? thanks!

hootymo
01-17-2005, 11:53 PM
anybody have any ideas? still need help, gonna change the water pump tomorrow, but want to be sure thats all it is. by the way, the carb is only ~1 year old, would the venturis still need to be checked? thanks.

88Accord-DX
01-18-2005, 12:03 AM
would this be the possible cause of my hesitation at highway speeds and stalling at idle? thanks!

It would do that if your car is to hot from the water pump not working. Would more likely start to "diesel" before shuting off. If you have a multimeter, you could probably check for voltage reaching that primary mixture cut off seloniod mentioned. Look at your float bowl, & check your fuel pressure.

Spray some carb cleaner down the carb for good measures too. Let us know how it is coming along. Re-built kit is about $40, but isn't a good project for ameture.

A20A1
01-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Yes replace the pump... then see if your problems go away... the T-stat is a good thing to do to since it's so cheap.

hootymo
01-18-2005, 03:31 PM
awesome thanks. i will let you know how it goes, see it seems to do better when the temp gauge is higher, it doesnt mess up at all. its when the temp gauge is still cool is when it fucks up. ill keep you updated, just gotta wait till the temp goes above 10 degrees so i can change the damn thing!