PDA

View Full Version : dizzy question

Slipknotcraig133
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
I was changing my thermostat and both of the bolts broke off in the housing. So i just changed the whole housing itself. Well to do that we had to pull off the dizzy. When i got the dizzy off, i could hold the part that goes on the end of the cam and i could turn the rotor about half way around. So i got my other dizzy out and went to put it in. It will go in one way but the car will not start. We can not get it to go in the other way. All of the plugs are good cap is good firing order is right wires are good all the plugs wires are connected its getting fuel. So i was just wondering what we are doing wrong.

Mac
01-16-2005, 05:49 PM
The dist. should only go in one way. Did you mark the distributor and the housing before you pulled it? Sounds like the timing is off.

accordlxi2.0
01-16-2005, 05:52 PM
it depends on what dizzy you used?? is it sparking??
if not it could be the ignitor...
i know for sure you can use the prelude efi / or carb dizzy...
but it has to be the same engine as ours ( i belive it's 86-88 not for sure).
i had a 88-89 efi distributor on my lx..it runs fine.

Slipknotcraig133
01-16-2005, 05:54 PM
its another fi one. I just took the dizzy i pulled out and it goes both ways into my extera head so i have no clue

A20A1
01-16-2005, 05:58 PM
When you removed the thermostat housing you also removed a ground wire... I assume that the ground wire was not reinstalled or is not making a good connection. It's not the ground wire for the battery either... there is a series of wires near the transmission or thereabouts and there is a small wire that pokes out of the wire harness / loom.

I've missed hooking it up in the past.

Also make sure the vacuum lines to the distrbutor is hooked up.

shepherd79
01-16-2005, 06:02 PM
with a help of your dad or friend set your engine to TDC and make sure the distributor is pointing to cylinder #1. it is been know that people somehow manage to install dizzies 180 deg. off. so check that and make sure you didn't make any mistake.

second, swap the ignitor from the original dizzy.

Slipknotcraig133
01-16-2005, 08:36 PM
i got the car to run but now have another problem. It is overheating real bad. So we just took out the thermostat so i could take my girlfriend to her house and it started overheating really bad after i got like 2 or 3 hundred yards down the road. It was doing that with no thermostat.

A20A1
01-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Well the thermostat is needed so that the coolant doesn't boil and it helps the coolant flow properly... if you just remove it then your motor wont cool right.
Did you install the t-stat facing the right way?

Did you bleed the coolant system?

Is your water pump working?