PDA

View Full Version : spark problem

chronix
01-17-2005, 02:17 PM
aight, my car was idling really bad so i checked my spark plugs,and they were dirty, reaaaal dirty,but neways that was yesterday.so i check them again today and tha same damn thing,what in tha hell could cause this??????

accordlxi2.0
01-17-2005, 02:20 PM
what color were the plugs tip??

keruhas184
01-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Did you change your plugs? http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37102

If you did, and they're still getting fouled, then your car is running too rich and/or too cold. If so, fuel delivery would be the next place to look.

By the way :welcome:

chronix
01-17-2005, 02:23 PM
tha tips were really black so i took a wire brush to em,and no i didnt change em yet,that comes tomorrow

accordlxi2.0
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
what do you have??

year ? dx ,lx ,lx-i ,se-i??

chronix
01-17-2005, 02:27 PM
1988 dx with 193,000 miles

accordlxi2.0
01-17-2005, 02:31 PM
whoa....
well if it running too rich..then advance the timing..or if you can adjust the a/f screw...but if you did'nt put in the new ones then you won't know if the problem went away or not..

chronix
01-17-2005, 02:33 PM
aight well ill just change em tomorrow and post back if its fixed or not,thnx for tha help

A20A1
01-17-2005, 03:56 PM
What type of plug did you get? There are two plugs available, one for the efi motor and one for the carb motor... if you get the wrong plug or if you gap it incorrectly they will foul or cause popor running conditions.

http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=439969&postcount=4

Also don't adjust the a/f screw unless you find that it is missing... in most cases it's difficult for that screw to come out if it hasn't been played with.
Anyways rich conditions can be caused by

Float setting is too high
-- Leaky o-ring on float valve
-- Bad float adjustment

Choke is not opening after engine has warmed up
-- Low coolant level
-- Busted thermovavle
-- Vacuum leak
-- Faulty Choke

Power valve is stuck open at idle
-- Vacuum leak
-- Faulty plunger or power valve

A/F screw
-- Bad A/F adjustment
-- Leaky o-ring on A/F screw
-- Screw missing

Air Jet Contorller
-- Vacuum leak from A B C vacuum lines
-- Faulty Air Jet Controlller
-- Leaky top hat gasket

Hot Air Door
-- Diaphragm / door stuck
-- Vacuum present after car has warmed up and intake temp is above the sensors activation level.

chronix
01-19-2005, 04:45 PM
aight got new plugs,but tha car is doing this messed up thing,ok when i start tha car it idles fine for a min or 2.after that it starts to buck and smell some nastty as gas smell,i try to keep it from dying by pressing tha gas but it slowly works itself down and stalls.it alomst seems im running rich and flooding out tha motor,oh and tha spark plugs still end up with black shit all on em.i need this car to go to school so any immediate help would be greatly appreciated

chronix
01-19-2005, 04:46 PM
oh and i got tha iridum tip plugs

A20A1
01-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Again the choke is still active which will richen the mix when on cold start up... plus you have the charcoal canister dumping it's fumes into the carb. So that could be where the smell is from...

So you checked the new plugs and they were black too? Did you get the correct heat range?

Is your ignition timing good?

chronix
01-20-2005, 07:15 PM
its all good now,i dont know what happened but it ended up working itself out,when i woke up this morning to go to school i started it and it did tha usual thing of being real jumpy so i let it run for bout 5 min,cut it off and cleaned tha spark plugs again(went to school and came home let tha car cool down and tha plugs were still clean,guess it jus had to work itself out,thank for tha help though