PDA

View Full Version : racing setup

RiCANACCORD
01-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I've got a few new questions.

Will a 235/45/17 wheel fit the accord 88. I've already read the post regarding the wheels size, but a friend told me that the 40 stands, not for mm, but for 40% of the 235. So that's not a big deal then if that is correct. The deal is if a 235 tire in width will fit nice without any trouble...

Second is; if the accord can support 550+( my friend told me the accord won't handle that power, even though I swap to a b18a turboed)(this friend is the one with the 350z).

Third: Tomorrow tuesday 18 I will go to a meeting and I'm pretty excited. I will go in the 22nd to watch some races in two different towns. The first one is mitsubishi vs subaru vs nissan. The second event is street cars racing in closed circuit.

I will be taking my car to some driving schools. These classes are not the regular driving schools we all know. Is about knowing how to race in circuits. The techniques in slow in fast out, nose in, fast curves, etcetera. Would you recommend me going with my accord 88 and bringing some pics. I guess they won't discriminate against an old car. If they do we'll protest!!!!!!. :rocket:

I also took some new pictures of my car without the spinner wheel covers. I took some pics with my friend's hyundai accent gt. I'll post them this week. Thanks for your attention, and please reply!!!

buds302
01-17-2005, 05:19 PM
205/45/17 thats the max tire size for 17s. the 45 is for the size of the sidewall. yeah you can run an 18 inch rim but you will have to find a tire that only comes up an inch off the rim including the sidewall. whoever said the 40 is 40%of the 235 is crazy. the 235 is the tread width and take 40% of that you get 94 and thats about the size of a bicycle tire.
oh yeah and when you see a tire size like this 205/45/17 the middle number is the offset otherwise known as the series like 50 series or 60 series and so on

RiCANACCORD
01-17-2005, 05:25 PM
check this site and tell my what you think!! http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/exel/exel.htm

there are (235/45/17). Tell me if they will fit or not, cause those 205 tires will be too thick!!!!!!

buds302
01-17-2005, 05:40 PM
how are they gonna be too thick? the 235 is how wide the tire is not how high it is. if you get them too wide they wil rub the upper balljoint andyou wont have a tire!!!! thats why we say 205/45//17 you can get the 40 series but youll have a smaller tire. the first number has nothing to do with tire hieght its all about the width. go to a tire store and look at the difference in some tires. firs pick a common tire size say 195/65/14. ok the typical accord lxi size. ok look at it and now get a 205/65/14 or a 235/65/14 they prolly dont make them but find any tire with the 235 as the first number. look at the difference in the width. ok now take the 195/65/14 and get a tire with uh well 195/55/14 look at the difference. youll see the width is the same but the tire is smaller in hieght. you can do this comparison with any rim size but when you do the hieght difference make sure they are the same rim size or it will throw you way off.
now im done explainin this shit someone else pick up where i left off or fix what i messed up. i dont think i missed anything though

86AccordLxi
01-17-2005, 07:25 PM
I promise that you will never have a 550hp Accord, so it's best to stop mentioning it unless, of course, you have an infinite supply of money. Either way, until you actually buy a b18 and turbo the hell out of it, buy the mount kits, the axles and all the necessary parts, don't keep asking about it (for the sake of all of us who have been around a while and have heard all the dreams of the new 3geez owners-dreams which never materialize).

For tires, you'll probably want to get 205/40/17 tires, but make sure the offest on the wheel is correct or you may have problems with the tires rubbing the fenders. You need a wheel with at least a 38mm offset; 40mm is ideal. Check out the susp. forum for more info.

In regards to taking your car to the track, I would probably recommend against it unless you're sure that the car can hold up to sustained, fast driving. This means not only the motor but also the brakes. Also, if your car is on stock suspension it might not be that much fun.

edit: if it's just an autocross, cone course set up then definitely do it! But on a full blown track, I don't think I would have trusted my car to hold up with some negative consequences.

Alex

RiCANACCORD
01-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks y'all especially for the smufguy!! :rolleyes:

Neuspeed87lx
01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=86AccordLxi]
(for the sake of all of us who have been around a while and have heard all the dreams of the new 3geez owners-dreams which never materialize).

yes please stop with the 550 hp turbo v8 3g. the amount of money it would take to get 550 hp out of a b18 is not gona be so much man .... and then to get it into a 3g... with mounts, axles.... the list would go on and on ....i have only seen 1 500+ street drivin honda in my life ... im not counting ones in magazines because those people are rich ...and i dont even want to think about the money that had gone into that car.....

Elijah
01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
How fast do you want your car? 550hp or whp and are you sure you want that much? I will be running around 350whp in the near future and should be in the low 12's

Neuspeed87lx
01-17-2005, 08:27 PM
yeah and tell him how much you spend elijah on getting 350 hp ....... i know ive spent around 7500 on my motor and i would be happy with around 375-400 hp

mykwikcoupe
01-17-2005, 11:28 PM
can I ask why your running 17s. If i said that the largest rim is want is the smallest rim to work with the brakes you have on the car. If you look at roatatioal masses in motion. The larger the rim the heavier the load and the further from center this load becomes making the rim use more torque. This will greatly hinder performance although inhance handleing. if you want greater handling go with poly bushings on a 16 in rim ith a stiff sidewall tire. Not enough. Uprade to addco front and rear bars. still not enough do a strut tower brace front or rear. remember body felw is a good thing in moderation. It pitches and corrects for over/understeer or improper weight balancing.

Im running 16 in oz racing with yokohama spec 2 rubbers. Addco bushing front sway bar dc sport strut tower brace, sprint sprins on modified koni adjustables. im very pleased. I cam mash hard corner very little body roll, handles sweet. id say id like to get a little more adjustablility out of it But I think swothing tires can fix that. If I can find a cnc to make robs brake upgrades again Ill be running the 17s. Till them im appy.

Just a test slap a friends 18s on your car and drive it around. slap the stockers back and see how you like it if you like the performance or the 18 take more than that school. its sounds cool though. good luck i hope Ive helped. mike

Elijah
01-18-2005, 12:44 AM
yeah and tell him how much you spend elijah on getting 350 hp ....... i know ive spent around 7500 on my motor and i would be happy with around 375-400 hp

I wish it was only 7500 but Im canadian so it maby works out to something like that. I have and will not do the math. I think my wife would kill me lol

guaynabo89
01-18-2005, 09:29 AM
I've got a few new questions.

Will a 235/45/17 wheel fit the accord 88. I've already read the post regarding the wheels size, but a friend told me that the 40 stands, not for mm, but for 40% of the 235. So that's not a big deal then if that is correct. The deal is if a 235 tire in width will fit nice without any trouble...

Second is; if the accord can support 550+( my friend told me the accord won't handle that power, even though I swap to a b18a turboed)(this friend is the one with the 350z).

Third: Tomorrow tuesday 18 I will go to a meeting and I'm pretty excited. I will go in the 22nd to watch some races in two different towns. The first one is mitsubishi vs subaru vs nissan. The second event is street cars racing in closed circuit.

I will be taking my car to some driving schools. These classes are not the regular driving schools we all know. Is about knowing how to race in circuits. The techniques in slow in fast out, nose in, fast curves, etcetera. Would you recommend me going with my accord 88 and bringing some pics. I guess they won't discriminate against an old car. If they do we'll protest!!!!!!. :rocket:

I also took some new pictures of my car without the spinner wheel covers. I took some pics with my friend's hyundai accent gt. I'll post them this week. Thanks for your attention, and please reply!!!

How old are you and what do yu do for a living?

RiCANACCORD
01-18-2005, 07:25 PM
thanks all... I ain't gonna reply every message, but thanks y'all for the help!!!

Today in the car meeting I found a guy that will sell me for 900 18 konigs

He told me I would only need a spacer....

The meeting was awesome!! We put on some music, raced, and drifted. Great night. Lol I revvied my engine to 8000 RPM, didn't notice... in a few seconds smoke went off the hood but the oil temperature was OK.... will never do that again... this car doesn't have rev limiter. Anyways it was all cool. When I aligned to the emergency lane with my friend to open the hood and check it out all the cars from the club saw us and probably thought I won to my friend. and that he was watching the performance mods. I will go to the next meeting for sure... :)

RiCANACCORD
01-18-2005, 07:53 PM
another doubt is... what is all the problem about the mounts!!!! what do I really need ( you guys know I'm noob, but you all were noobs before you knew something ) . Is it a b18 to accord mounts or something like that? explain!!! :rockon:

bobafett
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
hahah man there is a FAQ about this. placeracing is the only company who makes a mount kit, and they are conveniently out of business! ;)

good luck

86AccordLxi
01-18-2005, 08:17 PM
This is from the FAQ, which I strongly suggest you read so you can (quickly) get past being a noob :)

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=90.

It explains what's needed for a b-series swap.

edit: yargh..beat me to it.

Alex

RiCANACCORD
01-18-2005, 08:35 PM
lol thanks!

just read it ... All I needed to know!

Justin86
01-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Ok don't listen to Alex, he's not really a mod........ just playing bro
Any Q's about tires sizes needs to go here....... http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit
A 235/45/17 is huge and will never fit esp height, it will hit the fenders and hub. As mykwikcoupe about getting the smallest wheel according to your brakes is the best for rotational mass. 15" will work good with stock sized brakes, if you go to big brake kit you will need 16", and for bigger rotors and 4 piston calipers you will want 17"

Ok now from the measurments I' have been taking with the stock suspension you can only run about a 225 width and about 24.5" in diameter with a 45mm or so offset. If the caris lowered (2" or less) I'd stick with something like 215 and under 24" diameter. Ok so here is what I think you best options are............. 225/50/15 it will need a 15x6" wheel with a 45 offset, 225/45/16, 16x7" wheel, 45 offset, for a 17" 215/40/17 is the best with a 45 offset, and a 225 would require at least a 17x7.5" wheel.