PDA

View Full Version : Carb Rebuild?

numbnuts231
01-18-2005, 04:31 PM
I finally Got this car put together and have a slight problem. the car will not idle unless the choke is half closed. i have done the fuel filters, drained the tank, checked for vacume leaks, and reset the idle screw many times, but this thing still won't idle. if the choke is half closed then it will idle fine. this is a 25000 mile import engine so it's not just "worn out". ( can a honda do that? IE: wear out?) Any help Would be great.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-18-2005, 07:49 PM
With the choke 1/2 way closed you basically richen the air/fuel mixture by restricting the incoming air flow. So, from this it is possible to conclude that you are running lean at idle. It appears as if you installed a new engine in the car. Are you sure you hooked up the carburetor correctly. There are several electrical connections to the carb, one of which is a slow mixture cur off solenoid valve (correct me if I'm wrong) which may cause your carburetor to have an incorrect mixture at low speed ( 0 - 15 mph). Look in the PDF shopmanual at thumbnail 162 for more info. Hope this helps.

numbnuts231
01-18-2005, 08:06 PM
When i bought the car the intake was in the trunk along with the head.
all of the wiring and the "black box" were still connected. possibly connected wrong from the start. I did have two black wires break off that connected to the thermostat housing (grounded to) so i just put a new connector on them and grounded them to the block. the wiring harness was disconnected by the battery tray and otherwise ok. thanks for the help. ill check again in the mornin.