PDA

View Full Version : quik, before the DOT comes down upon my car(and weather shatters it)

motoracer
01-18-2005, 08:08 PM
hey quick question, what windshields can i use in my 4dr accord lx??? isnt there an acura version of our car? do any prelude windshields work?? (thatd be surprising) are the windshields of all 3geeeez interchangeable. PLZ HELP my windshield is shattering and i have to have my car inspected in 3 DAYS :ugh2:

A20A1
01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
to be safe maybe stick with another sedan... I know the 89 window fit on an 86... but they were both sedans.

TJ89Accord
01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
just get a new one for like 150 bucks

myaccord7
01-18-2005, 09:25 PM
just use platic wrap.

ahahahaha

SavageG
01-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Have you done windshields before? They are harder than you'd think (leaking etc...) and a real safety issue. One of the few repairs I think is well worth a professional install with guarantee.

A20A1
01-18-2005, 09:55 PM
hey quick question, what windshields can i use in my 4dr accord lx??? isnt there an acura version of our car? do any prelude windshields work?? (thatd be surprising) are the windshields of all 3geeeez interchangeable. PLZ HELP my windshield is shattering and i have to have my car inspected in 3 DAYS :ugh2:

Remove the windshield and wear a helmet.

you may have to remove the rear one too... :cool:

3gn86lxi
01-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes all 86-89 windshields are the same.
Thats what I do for a living, dont put it in yourself! Leave it to a proffesional, just as SavageG said.
It is very much a safety issue more than it just leaking. Is your life worth doing it yourself?
You would be amazed at some of the shit we see!!
:alc:

motoracer
01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
jeez such quik response

the windshield just has a hairline crack, as long as you dont give me ether or other semi temporary insanity, a helmet is silly and unnnecessary a20.

although it might be useful for avoiding large stray crackviles in the south bronx if i get the windshield tomorrow.

installing is the easy part, my father used to do auto glass as wel as resprays when he was a youngin. A month ago we put new rear glass in my turbocoupe, that was a much easier find. btw i use piano wire repro weatherstripping where applicable and permatex weatherstrip sealer (the orange tube). nice marketing initiative savage and LX, but that would be like a carpenter hiring a carpenter to $%#@ his wife.

My uncle owns a few auto exporting j/y's in the bronx, but i'm not going that route, i do not know spanish fluently enough. i supply auto parts to local shops around here, the name's castle auto parts. BTW nardy honda on jericho loves 3g's :thumbup: If you live on LI and need any replacement parts stop by. my parts guy found a few local places with windshields for 50$ but 3g sedans were a lil hard to come by. And if from a yard throwing cars around with forklifts, quality is questionable. i plan on owning this car for a long timea nd know that any imperfections, especially the edge, will lead to more cracks. anyway
are there any honda offshoot brands (acura) which use the same chassis and therefore the same windshield?

Oldblueaccord
01-18-2005, 11:27 PM
jeez such quik response

the windshield just has a hairline crack, as long as you dont give me ether or other semi temporary insanity, a helmet is silly and unnnecessary a20.

although it might be useful for avoiding large stray crackviles in the south bronx if i get the windshield tomorrow.

installing is the easy part, my father used to do auto glass as wel as resprays when he was a youngin. A month ago we put new rear glass in my turbocoupe, that was a much easier find. btw i use piano wire repro weatherstripping where applicable and permatex weatherstrip sealer (the orange tube). nice marketing initiative savage and LX, but that would be like a carpenter hiring a carpenter to $%#@ his wife.

My uncle owns a few auto exporting j/y's in the bronx, but i'm not going that route, i do not know spanish fluently enough. i supply auto parts to local shops around here, the name's castle auto parts. BTW nardy honda on jericho loves 3g's :thumbup: If you live on LI and need any replacement parts stop by. my parts guy found a few local places with windshields for 50$ but 3g sedans were a lil hard to come by. And if from a yard throwing cars around with forklifts, quality is questionable. i plan on owning this car for a long timea nd know that any imperfections, especially the edge, will lead to more cracks. anyway
are there any honda offshoot brands (acura) which use the same chassis and therefore the same windshield?

If its below the wiper blades at rest it will pass I belive in NY. You can fudge it and raise them a little just dont go crazy. Trooper still give you a ticket so get it fixed.

wp

3gn86lxi
01-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Not really the easy part, and installation methods are not the same as they used to be.

smufguy
01-19-2005, 10:00 PM
ask around the glass repair guys around your town. Here even in NJ its only $150 for the glass and installation and the good part is, u call them up and u order and set up an appointment, they come to your house with their stuff and they finish it in 2 hours and do hella good job. SO leave it up to the professionals to do this.

thegreatdane
01-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Yea, changing windshields when they are the glued in type is not so easy at all. And if the frame has rust where the windshield is going in you definately have to fix that first. And the glue needs to dry a certain amount of time depending on how warm it is where the car is parked. The drying of the glue/sealer is one of the most important steps, if it doesnt dry long enough the windshield will more than likely crack very fast. Driving over the curb or something like that.

SavageG
01-21-2005, 01:28 PM
$50 for a used windshield + $20 in striping and sealer =$70. For me Its worth the extra $80 not to deal with broken glass and the general hassle.
BTW, I don't sell or install windshields, that's why I get them professionally installed.