PDA

View Full Version : Interior Vinyl Question

Arseassin
01-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Hey guys, I have a stupid question to ask.

I have dark maroon colored interior, that includes carpet, seats, and vinyl.(I'll get pics up tomorrow I swear :P)

I was wondering if there is any way possible to change the vinyl (dash etc.) to black, without having to buy new vinyl or have it redone.

I was wondering if there is any sort of paint that will work or anything like that.

I would prefer that it keeps the factory style look on it, I dont want it to look like a took a can of wal-mart spray paint and shot it all over my interior.

88Accord-DX
01-19-2005, 12:52 AM
You can read this thread. Has some info. on that....

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=35006&page=3&pp=20&highlight=dash+painted

BlueBead
01-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Run a search on krylon fusion and painting interiors... you should find more than enough answers to your Q's....

Vanilla Sky
01-19-2005, 04:27 AM
you could try finding a black dash... i will be either recovering mine or building a new one

HostileJava
01-19-2005, 04:53 AM
Since you want to go black, you should have no problem finding Black Vinyl Die at any autparts store. I would use this, instead of the Krylon fusion, since that's what it's designed for, go with the Fusion if you want a color that's not available in vinyl die. Also as mentioned you could try to find a car with a black interior at the junkyard and just swap those interior pieces in.

hondamanlxi
01-19-2005, 05:34 AM
i went from this ....
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_121_full.jpg

to this....(incomplete pic)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_147_full.jpg

with duplicolor carpet/vinyl spray and a couple yards of red vinyl :blah:

kauffman21
01-19-2005, 05:51 AM
i love your interior, looks real good. you said you used paint...or dyes? for the red, also where didu get those seat covers? or are they new seats?!

88accordalltheway
01-19-2005, 08:30 AM
there new seats, i was wondering, what do you guys do for the seatbelts? Can you get new ones, or do yoyu dye the old ones, or what? i hate my faded grey ones....

Betz
01-20-2005, 07:45 PM
the problem with krylon fusion on the dash, is that its extremely shiny and reflective, and i made the mistake of doing mine with it and i couldnt se shite out my windsheild when i was facing the sun...
had to scrap the dash and get a new one from the junkyard
definitely use a fabric/vinyl paint

HondaBoy
01-20-2005, 08:28 PM
all i can say about Krylon Fusion is it works great on hard plastic. but really shitty on vinal or soft rubber, it'll stay sticky and never dry correctly. Duplicolor vinal/fabric dye is what to get for recoloring your vinal parts, but not great for hard plastic. when i redid the dash, i used vinal dye on top and fusion on the bottom. i did my dash by taking it completely out of the car. for me, i didnt find it incredibly difficult. you might want to have good upper body strength to maneuver the dash around inside the car. are you planning on doing the vinal on the door panels also? if so, i'd reccommend taking them apart so it turns out nice looking. also, you will wanna clean the parts your recoloring very well. and dont do it in a rush, it'll turn out nicer if you take some time.

Arseassin
01-21-2005, 03:45 AM
i went from this ....
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_121_full.jpg

to this....(incomplete pic)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_147_full.jpg

with duplicolor carpet/vinyl spray and a couple yards of red vinyl :blah:

That is absolutely goregus man!

What exactly did you do with your door? I notice you have a completely new interior to your door, whered ya get it?

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll definately look for vinyl spray/dye.

And btw, my interior looks exactly like first pic here

BlueBead
01-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Good to know about the difference between the dye and the paint... I had wondered about reflections. Now I know what to use on my spare dash.

bigbrat41
01-22-2005, 02:55 AM
:dunno: this past summer i had to replace the heater core in the 88 dx, so it was also time to PAINT the dash!!!???
after searching the web i found COLORBOND. (easy search: COLORBOND )
i used their product SEAT STYLIN ( i think that was the name ) in Tuner colors "competition red" for the vinyl dash and the hard plastic directly below (glovebox etc.) and the console.
dupli color black wheel cover paint for the gauge bezel TOP
and dupli color Metalcast basecoat (metellic silver ) for the area around the clear gauge cover and the HVAC vents and control bezel (HVAC) and stereo bezel .Lots and lots of clear coats.
the padded vinyl dash part IS THE ONLY PART that is , so far not showing scratches , nicks, etc. (painted w/ the Colorbond product).
in all fairness to ALL the conditions were not the BEST.
most were painted in direct sun on very hot days.
i have never posted pics before but if someone wants to host...i have them.
it looks good. :rockon:

BlueBead
01-22-2005, 02:28 PM
bigbrat41: Get a free cardomain profile and you can get your pics hosted there and do up your own site... then you can either post a link to your site or post pics from there using the picture posting How-to.... (use put picture properties here )
Pictures would be great.. We all like looking at each other's cars
Good luck! :welcome:

bigbrat41
01-23-2005, 05:38 AM
:rockon: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/774294
i sure hope this works.
the Dx was started as my son's car but he has since decided he does not want it (too bad, the plans were BIG). Between then and now i came across the '89 Lxi on E-bay (GOD bless E-bay) and was LUCKY enough to win it for $610. Flew to Boston on the 3rd and drove it 1300 miles home. It went thru some oil but i'm pretty sure that it is the valve stem seals.
The plans are BIG ! the dx trans' has just gone south so i have a parts car.
the eyebrows and grille are out now so that i can try a couple of different paints to see which will hold up best. Brand new Polk Momos 6x9 and 6.5 component, 2 Memphis pr10's and an Orion amp ( still need to get a sub amp.
love the coupe as the center pillar will house an extra component set!!!!
as this car is SO CLEAN i have time to pick and choose which mods are first and the bottem end of the motor is FIRST, bearings, rods, pistons, etc.
I have an extra COMPLETE intake that i intend to disassemble, grind,polish, paint, etc. strip, drill (weight reduction Etc)
Final phases willbe JUICE and paint and wheels and rubber.
for a while it will be a RATROD.
stage 1 -better
stage 2 -faster
oh!!
stage 3 -pretty
:uh:

Arseassin
01-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Ok, went to both pepboys and autozone on friday, neither place carries Vinyl Dye, but they both carried Vinyl Spray.

Where can I get the dye at?

I went ahead and purchased a can of the spray, and this weekend I pulled out some of the stuff, such as the center console, the trim that is under and behind the door when you close it, the two seatbelt guards, and the speaker covers for the front door and sprayed them.

Looks absolutely goregus, but I fear that if I use it on my dash, it may end up turning out too shiny.

The stuff I was using is called PlastiKole Vinyl Spray, Color: Flat Black.

I would like to know if anyone knows where I can find a guide that explains how to pull the dash and whatnot out.

I really dont want to attempt it myself and end up breaking something.

bigbrat41
01-28-2005, 02:02 AM
i have a Haynes manual and mostly don't like it as the photos aren't always clear, but i bought (on e-bay ) a manual on CD that uses line drawings and exploded drawings that is KILLER and cheap.
Pulling the dash isn't difficult just time consuming.
the CD shows where each bolt is hidden.

HondaBoy
01-28-2005, 10:54 AM
the vinal dye is in a spray paint form.

2drSE-i
01-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I've got my own question about the same thing...the SE-i's supposed leather interior, is that vinyl?

And if yes, then i guess the vinyl spray will work for it...cool!

HondaBoy
01-28-2005, 11:37 AM
some parts the the SE-i interior was vinal. the upper part of the dash and doors was. the seats, door mid section, armrest, and steering wheel had real leather. i dont really know if they will take the vinal dye spray. i personally wouldnt try it unless you have a test section you can try it on first.

2drSE-i
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
well i knew the seats and the door panel, right above the armrest is leather, were leather and it wudnt work. I was planning on spending 5 bucks on a salvage yard dash and trying it out, seeing how it looks