PDA

View Full Version : are headers suitable for daily driving?

hondaaccord_86
08-01-2002, 05:39 PM
i was looking through JCW catalog and i saw they have headers for our cars. but i saw a note saying that headers aren't suitable for daily driving, or stop and go traffic. well, what would happen if someone had headers and drove their car daily in stop and go traffic?

shepherd79
08-01-2002, 06:18 PM
i think you are talking about pacesetter headers, am i right?
i haven't seen anypost from a people complaining about headers.

pimp86LX
08-01-2002, 06:54 PM
hmm if pacesetters arn't ment for everyday driving, maybe thats why the black crap flakes off so quick, lol

1988starter
08-01-2002, 08:37 PM
I use mine for daily driving but buy yours from www.nopi.com but do your self a favor and buy the ceramic ones they are about 80 dollars and are much better.

hondaaccord_86
08-01-2002, 09:17 PM
are the ceramic headers better... in general?

Jims 86LXI HB
08-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by hondaaccord_86
are the ceramic headers better... in general?

I've heard that the ceramic ones retain heat better, not letting as much heat into the engine compartment. And that the ceramic coating, if applied on the inside of the header is a much smoother surface than paint or bare steel, which improve flow, or so they say.

Headers are just fine for day to day driving. Even stop and go in 110 degree heat, been their done that.

When you combine a header with a proformance muffler and have a muffler shop create a custom catback system with 2.25" piping, you will notice a nice increase in power that DOES justify the price. The are a very worthwhile upgrade that I highly recommend.

1988starter
08-02-2002, 07:42 AM
Even with my stock piping I enjoyed my headers.

smufguy
08-02-2002, 07:50 AM
ceramic dissipates heat and its an insulator. as u know thats what they use on the space shuttle. they have a high heat capacity and there by its more preferabble with heating. yeah, ceramic painted headers (inside and out) lessen heat transfer and radiation. But nowadays, they got those damn paints in spray cans making out lives easier. just use a paint stripper, remove the paint and paint the headers with high temp paint with ceramic. ur all set and u will improve the look too.

someone said that u should not wrap your headers. is that try or is it a bs or just applies to some cars and their application?

Mike89Accordcom
08-02-2002, 09:43 AM
I mean headers are loud, but I drive my accord all the time. Not as much anymore, but when I did, I drove it everyday.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-02-2002, 11:28 AM
:huh: I hardly noticed any difference sound wise from the stock exhaust manifold and the DC Sports header. I had to really listen to hear a difference.:)

JSid7
08-02-2002, 01:12 PM
yeah i never really heard a differnce when i installed a dc header on my friends 2000 civic

3rdGenMartyr
08-04-2002, 10:01 PM
will a dc header bolt right up to the stock exhaust

Jims 86LXI HB
08-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by 3rdGenMartyr
will a dc header bolt right up to the stock exhaust

Yes it bolt's right up to your cat-converter. But good luck finding one new in stock sitting on a dealers shelf. They will all want to ORDER one. They are on backorder and from what I've seen it takes 8 to 12 weeks to fill the back order. Try to find one use if you can. It took me 5 weeks of relentless emails to find one sitting on a dealers shelf. If they said they could order one, I knew better;) I went to the bother cause I thougt it was worth the effort over the pacesetter.

1fast4g63
08-07-2002, 01:36 PM
Headers are great for daily driving, i have a dc for my Si