PDA

View Full Version : what's it worth? advice please

jayshonda
01-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Bought an 89 honda to use as temp vehicle. hadn't planned on doing as much but inherited another car. since i didn't need this one to ride and had some extra garage space, i decided to do a few needed things to the honda. when i got started, it seemed i couldn't stop. i've only had this car about 2 months and put less than 500 miles on it since. car is in michigan.

here's the scoop on car and repairs, etc. (have all reciepts from prev. owner and my own parts purchases) i did my own work.

89 lxi coupe 2 dr, 5 spd, silver w/ maroon interior160,000 miles

previous owner in last 5,000 miles:
new complete exhaust (not cat)
right rear upper arm/ball joint
new radiator and new hoses
brake pads and rotor service
timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, all new belts

after the timing belt, he had an inspection showing it needed more stuff and got tired of putting money into it.

i bought it and did the following:

new front upper control arms/ball joints
new lower balls
new stock front springs (old broken)
new front shocks (didn't plan but had to drill nuts off old ones)
replaced cracked outer left cv joint with quickee boot.
brand new cooper tires all the way around.

body is in absolute excellent condition. not a pimple. i did a littel chip touch up here and there and waxed the car. it looks great. interior only needed a vacuuming and shine up dash with armor all. no rips, tears or wear spots in upholstery

car runs smooth and strong
shifts smooth, good clutch

what's wrong:
radio is crap. works but lousy
AC belt is disconnected, (assume it leaks)
antenae does not retract.
CV boot is the only so-so repair. probably should have done it right with an oem one, but it's done now

Kelly blue book says the retail (from a dealer) is $3200, (seems high to me)
average private seller buyer is about 2,000.

with everything that's been done to it, could it possibly bring $2500?

i know there are lots of hondas out there for less, but if you buy a used car of this age and miles, you'd expect to put something into in it during the first year. everything has already been done! i'd expect this car to go tottally maintenence free for several years except brakes and other wear out items.

what are your thoughts?

snow_man_20
01-21-2005, 01:24 AM
keep it!! I say 2k in oregon, but michigan i don't know, good luck dude!!