PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!

slickrick
01-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a 1986 Accord Lxi and lately the battery light came on and all the lights got dimmer. Eventually I put a new battery in and the same problem arises within a few minutes of driving with the new battery, something is draining the battery fast. Any ideas what this could be? - Thank you.

86LXItooFAST4me
01-20-2005, 10:30 AM
alternator

AccordNut
01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
yeah seems like your alternator isnt recharging your battery

86LXItooFAST4me
01-20-2005, 11:28 AM
take it some where and have your alternator, starter, and battery checked.

most part stores will do this for free thinking you will buy the bad part from them :D see how that works?

Mac
01-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Some things you can check are: battery connections, make sure they are clean and tight. Grounds, again make sure they are clean and tight. Check both ends of the grounds. Also check the condition and tension of the alternator belt. If all that checks good have the alternator checked. It does sound like your alternator is going.

smufguy
01-20-2005, 06:25 PM
what is the voltage u get on idle? if its anything lower than 13V then ur alternator is not working good. Before u pull the alternator out, check to see if the electrical connections to the alternator are intact and not frayed or cut or loose.

TO check for voltage, start the car, let it warm up and idle at 900 or below and then use a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery terminals.