PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs and Wires

2drSE-i
01-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I was just wondering, what is the most effecient spark plug and wire combination for our cars? Im talking effeciency and performance, although it wont alter performance much at all...

Try to post estimated price with it if you would :)

i did try searching, dont flame me!

modu03
01-20-2005, 03:34 PM
the set up i had was great and you did notice some better preformance, i had bosch +4 platinum, msd 8.5 mm superconductor wires, and i also had the msd blaster ss coil.

plugs run about $20 for a set of four

wires run for about $65 you have to cut them to the right length and put the ends on the distributer side on them, but it's not hard at all. make sure you buy the multi angle type for the spark plug end

and you should get the coil upgraded, the blaster ss coil runs $35-$40

smufguy
01-20-2005, 05:53 PM
PLUGS: NGK V power ($1.60), BOsch platinum($1.50)

Wires: 8.5mm NGK, Magnacore or moroso

You wont feel much difference from the stock setup to this aftermarket set up of just plugs and wires, the greater difference will be in conjunction with the coil.

Personally, i would not spend money on the bosch +4s, for a stock motor its not needed, and they are not great either. ONly one prong on the end gets a spark unlike the commonly advertized, 4 sparks. So its just like any other single tipped plug. SO get a regular plug, gap it to stock specs and u will be fine.

Justin86
01-20-2005, 06:04 PM
NGK V-power, bigger wires 8.5 or so, coil and ignition. Like smuf said it won't make a huge performance change, but the efficenty of the engine with be better.

2drSE-i
01-20-2005, 07:07 PM
i said it wouldnt, except maybe a small difference in effeciency, but thanks guys

MIK3
01-20-2005, 07:32 PM
My set up that I'm about to have is Mangnecor 8.5mm ($35.00) and I have NGK V-Powers already in. Other than running Iridium IX's in there, I'd say that's the one of the best set ups for our accords. If you're looking for overall ignition upgrading though, I'd suggest investing in an ignition coil and an ignition box later on. But if you seriously want your bang for the buck, go Magnecor and NGK.

A20A1
01-21-2005, 11:50 AM
4 prongs don't equal 4 sparks... it's just more choices for the path of the spark.

the split tipped plugs are the same... it's adds more sharp edges which are good for creating sparks.

epic1400cs
01-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I wrote simillar text in other thread but I believe here is the best place to post so please forgive the repetition.

I am using Neuspeed Plug Wire and Denso Iridium Spark Plug IW16. Although these sort of 'impression' depend on the person, both together, I clearly notice the increase of torque. Most obvious change is the A/T shift shock. The A/T shift up from 2nd to 3rd became almost no shock and 3rd to 4th bacame far more smoother than before.

When I bought my Neuspeed Plug Wire, I looked up some info about after market wire. There seems to be various factor to say 'Good Wire' but low resistance of the wire seems to be important to me. Below are figure from their advertisment therefore there is no guarantee that their actual product have the same value but I took it as reference. OHM/FT is obviously resistance (Ohm) per 1 foot. If the cable is longer, there are more resistance.

NGK Hyper Silicon Power Cable (light Blue) 900 OHM/M (272.7 OHM/FT)
Neuspeed Honda wires 275 OHM/FT
Accel 8.8mm coil wire kit 500 OHM/FT
NGK Plug Cable (dark Blue on ebay) 8000 OHM/M (2424.2 OHM/FT)

NGK OEM cable 16000 OHM/M (4848.5 OHM/FT)

There are more company who sells good cable for our cars but above lists were my option (I live in UK and not many shops are happy to ship them to abroad.) The Neusped was on ebay around $20 so I bought the set.

Trouble is that the built quality of the cable is not rock solid. Once I pulled the cable to remove it from engine and only the cable came out. So I had to dismantle the plug cap and fix the cable to metal fitting. Since then I am very careful not to pull the cale but the rubber boots. Apart from that, it is very good.

For the Iridium plug, now Honda Japan is selling these ridium plug for our car under HAMP brand (OEM of NGK or DENSO I assume), too. This assures that the Iridium is not only for style but for its efficiency. I paid $36 for 4 plugs plus shipping on ebay. Compare to 200 GBP ($360) in UK, it was bargain.

modu03
01-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Trouble is that the built quality of the cable is not rock solid. Once I pulled the cable to remove it from engine and only the cable came out. So I had to dismantle the plug cap and fix the cable to metal fitting. Since then I am very careful not to pull the cale but the rubber boots. Apart from that, it is very good.

well... if you buy the msd, the factory spark plug end is warranteed for five years against the cable sepparating like that, and they appear to have the lowest resistance

epic1400cs
01-22-2005, 04:02 AM
well... if you buy the msd, the factory spark plug end is warranteed for five years against the cable sepparating like that, and they appear to have the lowest resistance

I have checked the www.msdignition.com/1sparkplugwires.htm

8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire -- '40 - 50 Ohms resistance per foot'

Oh, this is one degit less OHM/FT than other wires! It is fab. Shame that they dont make one for our car but seems like we can buy cable and boots separately and make one. The set price are around $75. Not to too bad if the quality and performance is so good. I would definately consider this one for the next time.

2drSE-i
01-22-2005, 02:09 PM
I could almost sware that MSD made ignition for our cars, but out of the ones Epic researched the neuspeeds have the least resistance, so until im ready to upgrade the full ignition, i think id have to go with neuspeed wires and some kind of iridium plugs.

For future reference, do the ignition upgrades come with plugs and wires?

modu03
01-22-2005, 03:30 PM
this would be the msd kit you want http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=MSD-31159 it comes with the spark plug ends already installed, so all you have to do is crimp on the distributer cap ends... the kit comes with a stripper crimper tool.

it's pretty easy

this would be the best wire set for you and will last for years to come. it also comes with a new distributer to coil wire

here's their guarantee:
Dual Crimp Terminals
All of the MSD spark plug terminals feature "Dual Crimp" terminals. As the name implies, the terminals feature two crimps: One for the sleeve of the wire and another separate crimp to grasp the conductor of the wire.
By having separate crimps, the conductor doesn't need to bent 180° and get squeezed between the terminal and sleeve. The individual conductor crimp produces a more secure crimp and there is less chance of spark arcing to the engine block or exhaust through the boot. In fact, we feel so strongly about our Dual Crimp terminals that every factory crimped plug wire is guaranteed not to "pull off" for FIVE years!

modu03
01-22-2005, 03:36 PM
I could almost sware that MSD made ignition for our cars, but out of the ones Epic researched the neuspeeds have the least resistance, so until im ready to upgrade the full ignition, i think id have to go with neuspeed wires and some kind of iridium plugs.

For future reference, do the ignition upgrades come with plugs and wires?

um... neuspeed has 275 ohm resistance, msd has 50 ohm resistance, msd is the lowest ohm resistance you can get. also, the neuspeed wires cost alot more. why would you buy wires with higher resistance and that cost more, just doesn't seem right

2drSE-i
01-22-2005, 03:59 PM
well i did say what epic researched, but your right, i looked on that link u supplied, MSD's are nice! Thanks!

Now how about plugs? what brand of iridium plugs provides the most bang for my buck?

epic1400cs
01-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Now how about plugs? what brand of iridium plugs provides the most bang for my buck?

Some of the member from Jpanaese accord message borad tried both NGK Iridium and DENSO Iridium. They told me that DENSO has thinner terminal (0.4mm = 0.0157 inch) than NGK and 'felt' smoother idling.

2drSE-i
01-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Some of the member from Jpanaese accord message borad tried both NGK Iridium and DENSO Iridium. They told me that DENSO has thinner terminal (0.4mm = 0.0157 inch) than NGK and 'felt' smoother idling.

How much would a set of four DENSO's run me, and what is a terminal

lol thanks

-Adam

epic1400cs
01-23-2005, 03:37 AM
How much would a set of four DENSO's run me, and what is a terminal

lol thanks

-Adam

When I bought a set of four DENSO IW16, they were $36 +shipping on ebay.com. When I search the parts number in DENSO.co.jp, IW16 was the parts number for my A20A4 (injection). However, according to DENSO US, IW16 is for carb engine and IW20 is for injection engine. I don't know which is correct, mine is A20A4 not A20A3 anyway, or may be heat range? I have to have a look.

'Terminal' was wrong terminology, sorry my poor English, 'electrode' is the right word for it. If you would like to know more about it, below is the link to DENSO Iridium plug. They have good material to look at.

http://www.densoiridium.com/irid_power.php

2drSE-i
01-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Yea, on their site it shows IW16 for all the carbed engines, and IW20 for all the injected. These look great thanks!

what does a smaller electrode do exactly?

::Edit::
I scrolled down on the page, smaller electrode means less voltage :)
It shows how platinum, nickel, and lower quality iridium plugs take more voltage because of the larger electrode.

btw, shudnt ur english be better than mine :P

:Owned2:

2drSE-i
01-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Very true, but iridium is supposed to be more corrossion resistant than platinum, which was pretty well known for that. I might just have to go with the .7 voltage instead of the .4, i dunno ill have to decide

Thanks

epic1400cs
05-20-2006, 11:41 PM
It is dead thread but I have a look a Denso.co.jp and checked about the heat range and other detail.

The Denso Illidium Plug IW16 means;

I = 0.4mm dia illidium tip
W = 14mm thread dia x 19mm reach x 20.6mm fixing hex wrench
16 = heatrange (equivalent to "5" NGK, "12-11" Champion, "8" BOSCH)
20 = heatrange (equivalent to "6" NGK, "10-9" Champion, "7.6" BOSCH)

Also Denso Europe site says A20A4 (injection) should use IW20.

Sorry for the long delay my bad