PDA

View Full Version : since my motor q's thread got closed...

hondamanlxi
01-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Click To See Original Thread (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=40766)

where are you guys getting rod bolts from? ARP doesnt list any for us (big surprise)! Does the honda dealer carry em?

EDIT: majestic has em, but id rather get some arp bolts

smufguy
01-20-2005, 05:31 PM
arp should have em. THe best thing to do is to send in the existing bolt and ask them to match it up. I bet lots of rod bolts might be of the same pitch and length so it should be no problem.

AccordEpicenter
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
one guy was using B16 rod bolts but said that there was a little machining involved to fit them to a20 rods

rjudgey
01-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda sell them but they aren't cheap, i've never had one fail either and i rev continuallyto 8K on the track, also i've even risked using old ones and haven't had one break, but if your engein is for raod use and you don't like re-building every 15K then get at least new Honda ones or ARP but your rods will need to be slighlyt modded to fit, i think theirs a couple of different types that can be made to fit.

hondamanlxi
01-21-2005, 11:08 AM
rjudgey, why do you need to rev to 8k? Do YOU make power band into the 7-8k range?

A20A1
01-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Sorry dude, I tried to tell them to stop filling your thread with more I'm right your wrong nonsense, it obviously wasn't stopping. I added the link to your post so you don't have to go searching for it when it drops to the bottom.

hondamanlxi
01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
thanks a20a1!

update:
rod bolts/nuts ordered $60.
Block should be back from the machine shop tomarrow.
Head is getting its work

todo list:
waiting on cam
need to order clutch
need to pull motor

rjudgey
01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
do i make power at 7-8K hell yeah!!
With stock valve size and 285 duration cam peak power was at around 7.5K but was having problems with pistons destroying themselves after 15K, so i tried a little experiment, i used 33mm inlet valves and found that with a 285 duration cam it would bottleneck severly and the power band was reduced from 7.5K to 6K and power was not as good as the powerband would start at 4 and finish at 6K where as before 4K-7.5K. So i switched to a smaller cam 275 duration and little less lift, this transformed the engine power everywhere with huge torque, the power band is better from 3-7K but the engine naturally stops dead on 7K like it's got a rev limiter so the inlet valve size is still being limited by the port size, but also i think the header is also bottlenecking as well making it more noticeable. Anyways with the 7K rev limit i wanted to see how long the pistons would last and so far they have been really good, no problems so far so with Sealed power cast pistons don't constantly rev them beyond 7K otherwise they crush the ring landings and loose compression then eventually causes a fracture then a hole in the top!!
I think also using the taller geared box instead of the Teg box has helped too does 150mph at only 6K where as was doing 7K at 140mph with the teg box.