PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover

phoenxislayer15
01-20-2005, 06:56 PM
I am about to remove my valve cover and paint it. I have a few question first though...

1) Do I HAVE to replace the gasket...
2) Someone told me I do not have to drain the oil...True/False?
3) Could someone possibly list the steps, just so I might not screw it up...

Mac
01-20-2005, 07:08 PM
1) You should change gasket, it never hurts and the cover is already off. Most guys change the nuts and grommets at the same time as gasket.
2)You don't need to drain oil. I usually change the oil at the same time, but that's me.
3)Remove 3 nuts and ground wire. Disconnect vacuum tube. Pull off valve cover. Clean both surfaces and change gasket. Put cover back on along with tube and ground and torque nuts to 7 ft/lbs.

SavageG
01-20-2005, 07:08 PM
You don't HAVE to replace the gasket, but it's a good idea.
No, you don't have to drain the oil.

First disconnect the breather hose and sparkplug bracket. Take off the three acorn nuts on the top and pull it off. That's it!
When you put it back on remember to connect the ground wire again. Also, don't paint your nuts or the washers, the paint will come off when you try to tighten them down.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-20-2005, 07:13 PM
1) Replacing the gasket is a very good idea as they are prone to leaking even when new if they aren't installed just perfect.
2.) No you don't need to drain the oil.
3.) To remove the valve cover you need to disconnect the vent hose attached to the valve cover. Remove any wiring clips, etc. Remove the two 10mm bolts on the driver side of the engine that hold the plastic timing belt cover in place. Remove the timing belt cover and then loosen the valve cover crown nuts. Once you remove the nuts simply pull up on the valve cover and it should come off. When reinstalling, thoroughly degrease and clean the mating surfaces on the head. If you can, use a torque wrench on the valve cover nuts. Otherwise try to tighten them down evenly. You may want to leave the timing belt cover off until you have run the engine for a bit and checked for leaks. After that it can be reinstalled.

Hope this helped.

SavageG
01-20-2005, 07:26 PM
'89AccordLX(Rus)
Remove the two 10mm bolts on the driver side of the engine that hold the plastic timing belt cover in place.

?On mine the timing belt cover fits under the valve cover.
If you have the time and a buffer, they look awsome polished.

phoenxislayer15
01-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Yes but it is still held on there by a bolt...

Mac
01-20-2005, 07:35 PM
phoenxislayer15, what is held on by a bolt?

?On mine the timing belt cover fits under the valve cover.
I believe that the timing belt cover fits over the valve cover lip. You can get the cover off without removing the timing belt cover but it does make it a bit easier.

SavageG
01-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Where at?

phoenxislayer15
01-20-2005, 08:07 PM
If it was daytime, I would take a pic and show you...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-21-2005, 07:06 PM
The plastic cover slides under the lip on the valve cover. This cover, however, can be taken off and installed without removing the valve cover. It just takes a little finesse. Just my $.02

SavageG
01-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I looked mine and 4 or 5 at the JY today. There shouldn't be any additional bolts other than the three on top. If it still wont come off try tapping it with a rubber mallet. If its really stuck on, it would be a good idea to get a new gasket before you take it off.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-22-2005, 07:22 PM
The only reason I mentioned two extra bolts was because I included the removal of the timing belt cover in the process. If you don't want to remove the timing belt cover, you will need to remove the 3 nuts on the cover (or 5 for the carbed models which also have the airbox mount on top) and disconnect the breather hose. The only reason to remove the side cover is to check for any oil leakage after installation. Our valve cover gaskets are notorious for leaking around the curved humps on each side of the head.