PDA

View Full Version : Burning out?

w00tw00t111
01-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey guys! Didn't know quite where to put this so I thought this would be the closest section. My question is how do you burnout? I know that if I rev it to 3 or 4000 and then "pop the clutch" in 1st. This will do a "tiny" burnout. Usually doesn't leave tire marks just makes a squeel sound which is cool but, as a normal gearhead I want more! I asked my grandpa about it and he said that when he used to drag race he had a line brake that he would use to clean his slicks. The only two things I could think of doing is launching like I just mentioned and then slam on the brakes but keep my other foot on the accelerator. All this did is make my car die nothing more. Then I thought about pulling the e-brake and launching. Well I did that and i just kept going, the e-brake did not slow me down. I am guessing that my parking brake line is loose. If you have any suggestions on how to burnout that would be awesome!!!
P.S. I am talking about making big big smoke clouds!

HondaBoy
01-20-2005, 07:23 PM
nah, i dont think your car has enough power if it wont do it like how your doing it. either that or your tire have good traction. i've done it before on wet pavement, that's about it for the 3gee.

Elijah
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Well if want a little help you can put some oil on you tires pull the e-brake and drop the clutch at 6 k and you should sit there. Dont forget you dont have alot of power. And for slaming on the brake that works for rwd. Try and fix your e-brake thats what holds you while your doing your burnout. If you do a search you will find a big one from me and another member

w00tw00t111
01-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks you guys. I read my haynes repair manuel and the ebrake fix seems pretty easy. If I rev it to 6k could it totally destroy the motor?

SavageG
01-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Try going to 5500 or so before you engage the clutch. You don't really want to just drop it in. Just like all driving you will get the feel of it after a few times. I can make a 15-20 foot cloud of dense smoke and keep it going into 2nd on dry pavement. :rockon:

NXRacer
01-20-2005, 08:48 PM
ehhh, if your car is for the most part stock you wont get much of a burnout. If its a 5spd, you'll more then likely burn your clutch. You gotta have a good amount of power to get a good burnout going. Either that or REALLY crappy tires.

why are you trying to burn out?? It'll do more harm then good for the most part.

w00tw00t111
01-20-2005, 09:07 PM
ehhh, if your car is for the most part stock you wont get much of a burnout. If its a 5spd, you'll more then likely burn your clutch. You gotta have a good amount of power to get a good burnout going. Either that or REALLY crappy tires.

why are you trying to burn out?? It'll do more harm then good for the most part.

Well I want to burn out just 'cause I always thought it was cool. Now that I drive I want to know how to do it. In regards to the engine. It is stock. Planning on making the aem cai for it. Right now I am trying to get all the body work done . Making custom kick panels, sub box, full body kit, the rear deck(interior) is going to be fiberglassed, either fiberglass floors or diamondplate(always liked the way it looked), I am building a custom barrier that goes from the ciggarate lighter to the back just before the front of the rear seats. I want to enhouse 2 drink holders in the front and 2 in the back. I also am building an armrest into that as well as tweeters mounted to give the rear passengers a little "boom boom". After all that is done I am going to shave the door handles and then paint it. So, I have a pretty extensive list that needs to be completed. I breathed in alot of fiberglass dust about a week and a half ago and have been laid up from working on it. Stupid lungs why do they have to be irritated by fiberglass! Engine mods are the lease of my worries. I've read alot on here about the performance upgrades available but, alot of them seem expensive for not that much pay off.

HondaBoy
01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
ok, so anyway, i dont reccommend burnouts. personally, yeah they do look cool. but when you understand what pressures its putting on the transmission and extra load on the engine, you dont want to do it anymore. so about the fiberglassing of stuff, do you have a job working in fiberglass? if so then i can see you making interior pieces with it, otherwise you'll need practice which can be pretty fun. so you breathed in fiberglass particals? uh, thats not only irritating to the lungs, thats a major health risk! hopefully you dont do that again, that can cause a number of things later on. so why did you end up breathing in fiberglass? for your healths sake, get a breathing mask, at least a dust mask.

AccordEpicenter
01-20-2005, 10:47 PM
ive never blown engines or trannies by burning out, if both tires light up equally you should be fine. It hard on clutches though, and motor mounts

maka_RTH
01-20-2005, 11:35 PM
i do little burnouts coming out of my driveway, backing out then throwing it in first and dropping the clutch. not the best thing for the car, but friends get a kick out of it and it leaves little black streaks, a lil bit of smoke sometimes.

88accordhb
01-20-2005, 11:53 PM
i do little burnouts coming out of my driveway, backing out then throwing it in first and dropping the clutch. not the best thing for the car, but friends get a kick out of it and it leaves little black streaks, a lil bit of smoke sometimes.
a peel out as you are describing is different from a burn out. with a peel out, your tires are "trying" to grip the pavement, soo you are still goin but some room to play between the pavement and the tires. burn out is when there is tremendous torque in the front wheels that the tires basically stay in the same place for as long as youre buring out. we don't have enuff power to do that. soo yah, many people say to me, "dude i can do burn out in my stock civic" and i say let's see, and they do this stupid peel out. hahaaha. a burnout is like in maurice's teg video or elijah's vid. that's a burn out. some of you guys have seen it.

and uhhh yah, guy who wants to burn out. try this: rev it up to 6 grand with the clutch all the way down, then let the clutch go slowly, then hold the clutch when it he the g-spot. repeat this over and over. :kekeke:

snow_man_20
01-21-2005, 12:08 AM
all that have to say is i pay for my own tires, not saying that you guys don't but i don't make a hole lot of money to go up in smoke. :bong:

cubert
01-21-2005, 08:46 AM
rev it...dump the clutch...and rip up on the ebrake and hold the revs between 4 or 5k. Its much more fun in RWD cars...my bronco does funny smokeshows...the smoke comes pouring in through all the rotholes in the floors and rear fenders....not bad for a 2.9 with 200k on it

HondaBoy
01-21-2005, 10:27 AM
its funny to see little cars try and do some ghetto burn outs each week where we hang out. then the muscle car guys i hang out with go and show them how its done. i dont even try to do it in my 3gee, its not really worth trying it unless the pavement nice and wet. even my '02 accord wont really do a good burnout unless its kinda wet. the coolest burnout i saw was a semi kenworth doing one, without the trailer of course.

2drSE-i
01-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Dont do that with an auto....please....
ull blow ur transmission like nothing...

AD9SloAccrd
01-21-2005, 11:05 AM

SavageG
01-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Yea, don't do burnouts with an auto, you'll break something for sure. Even with a 5 speed, everything is highly stressed. Like 88accordhb said, a true "Burnout" with some HP behind it can basically burn the tires off. Rubber is expensive and even with our cars that smoke will cost some $$$.

w00tw00t111
01-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Well I have a manuel but, the vibe I'm getting is that our cars just don't have enough power. Man that sucks!

SavageG
01-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Our cars CAN do burnout's (peelouts), you just have to consider some factors before you try. Mainly tire dimensions, pavement surface condition if it's wet and vehicle components you are stressing. I can get a pretty good smoke show off my 205-55-15s, but results may very. What most everyone is saying is why? I guess if you're willing to pony up the money for axles, tires, possibly an entire engine.. go crazy dude.

g2driver
11-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Ive left patches with my almost stock 3G. In the dry, good tread on goodyears. Yank the E-brake up, pop the clutch at like 2 or 3K. Dont wanna burn out my clutch. If you dont care about buying new tires, go get some bleach. Or try it with your wheels upto a speed bump.

~Matt

b8er
11-02-2005, 11:48 PM
trying doing the burnout on a uphill road, its easier for the car to sit on a uphill with the e-brake on spinning then it is with the car facing downhill

A18A
11-03-2005, 01:59 AM
if you want you can put it in reverse and when you turn the wheel while burning out you will fishtail in one spot and the tail would be the front and this is how i burnout:

pull the hand brake up (e-brake)
put it in gear (1st or reverse)
hold the clutch in
rev it up to about 6000 - 8000 rpm
hold the accelerator down
pop the clutch
keep the accelerator down and thats how you do it :)

but when i do it and the revs get to high while in gear just change up like you drag racing

i was also burning rubber and making smoke off wet grass

89accordex4dr
11-03-2005, 02:04 AM
reverse do-nuts are fun but hard on running gear and as for reving and dumping it at 8000rpm is death for the motor, try 4000-5000rpm:)

A18A
11-03-2005, 02:14 AM
how come evryone elses engines are so weak at doing burnouts? i thought i had the second shittiest engine a 3g could get :S ive done purnouts plenty of times and i dont think it has hurt my engine, i think the only damage to my engine is the split radiator but thats from the crash and that was supose to be 7000 not 8000 lol

89accordex4dr
11-03-2005, 02:20 AM
There no point going past 6200rpm cause you loose power and red-lining it could do severe engine damage like bending the vaulves or warping the head or somthing

A18A
11-03-2005, 02:25 AM
why hasn't my engine died yet? coz i havnt even said the worst part ive done to it yet

89accordex4dr
11-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Whats the worst part have you done to it?

A18A
11-03-2005, 02:37 AM
well coz the car hadnt moved in a few months i jacked up both front whels and put it in 5th gear and took it up to 7000 rpm and let the clutch pop out and yeah the needle went right around the speedo but nothing bad has happened and i think thats the worst thing i done to it

89accordex4dr
11-03-2005, 02:40 AM
wow your lucky your car didn't fall off the jack

A18A
11-03-2005, 02:40 AM
it was actually on stands, but how/why would it fall off the stands?

89accordex4dr
11-03-2005, 02:42 AM
sorry thought u just used jacks

A18A
11-03-2005, 02:46 AM
yeah, im surprised my little a18a engine still works after what ive just heard :S maybe its invinsible :D i really want this legal :)

89accordex4dr
11-03-2005, 02:50 AM
How much is it going to cost to bring it to a wof state, and is it worth it?

A18A
11-03-2005, 02:55 AM
it wont be worth it if i actually payed for the professionals to fix it but i can do most of the work myself, only help i would probably need is replacing the front window, and i can try and get my dads friend dead 3g and use his for parts, ill just offer him about $50 for his accord and ill just get cheap spray paint from SCA but yeah, it shud be pretty easy fixing her up

b8er
11-03-2005, 05:08 PM
wow man, i cant belive half the stuff i read from you, its all a good read but im so surprised you would put your 3g through all that, mabye its just me and being a mechanic but i dont think id rev my motor to 8000 and pop the clucth, but if your car can handle it man way to go, i just feel like when your motor goes it will go bad, aha

HondaBoy
11-03-2005, 05:32 PM
wow, this is an old thread. dont think i've ever tried taking my engine over the redline. not on purpose anyway. and its still my belief that burning out does damage to transmisson parts and the engine. i messed up the U joints in the driveshaft on my datsun burning out and drifting it. that lasted a few weeks until it started rattling around. sucks because i cant drive it until i swap out the driveshaft, which is more of a bitch than y'all would know. U joints on it dont pop out, they are permanently installed in the 75-77's.

Pro_Mod_Accord
11-03-2005, 05:41 PM
it was actually on stands, but how/why would it fall off the stands?

:thumbdn:

What kinda statement is that?????LOL :lol: :sad2:

Why wouldn't it? If there is a great enough torque created by you jumping in the car, revving the motor/tranny/....ummm yah....it could fall off....shit my dad early this summer got caught under his Astro Van because a stand twisted and the van came off...nearly killed himself...exhaust down pipe nearly separted his chest....Not Smart!

As for red lining the shit out of you motor....LOL...keep it up...just cause it runs right now doesn't mean you don't have any internal damage or future engine failure cause of it....

The motor produces max HP at just over 6200 RPM...anything higher then that the HP drops dramatically....dropping the motor at a high stress-strain level is not so smart...but heck it's fun right?:lol: