PDA

View Full Version : Power Loss

MattsAccord
01-20-2005, 07:57 PM
There is probably information somewhere about my problems but I don’t really have the time to look around.
I have been having electrical problems lately. My car battery being dead and be driving and the battery light would come on. Well I went to a battery place and they said my battery was fine but my alternator was dead. So a replaced the alternator (that was a lot of fun) but I still had problems. I would be driving and the battery light was on. So my lights would get dim, the RPM’s would just idle about 2500. But soon my car you just die.
So today I took the alternator back out again (lots of fun) and took it down to get it tested and they said it was fine. Then I took my battery in and they said it was bad. So I bought a new battery. But I’m wondering now, is there something else causing my battery to die maybe a wiring problem.

Any information would help me a lot.
Matt

MattsAccord
01-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Bump

HondaBoy
01-20-2005, 09:31 PM
to tell you the truth, there's no telling at this point. you'll have to keep an eye on that, like that'll be hard. but yeah, i dont know what that would be now. its possible wiring was bad. i'd say if you can, check all the main ground wires in the engine bay and power wires in there. my friend had some problems with his car kinda like that. it was bad power wire and ground wires. if its that, in your case, then that's easy to fix.

MattsAccord
01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Just started up my car agian after redoing everything and the POS still has the battery light on. Anyone intrested in buying a POS.

NXRacer
01-20-2005, 10:02 PM
take it down to a battery's plus and have the system tested while the car is running.

MattsAccord
01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
I just put a brand new optima battery in it.

Oldblueaccord
01-20-2005, 11:16 PM
I just put a brand new optima battery in it.

Do you have a multimeter so you can test it?

Battery fully charged should have about 12.7 volts car off. Optima might be a little higher.Maybe 13.3V. Car running the voltage should be 14V.

Since you have change the alt. and the battery I would look for loose/dirty/corroded conections at the battery posts. Also make sure your alt belt is tight enuff and the wires on the back on the alt. are all on. The smaller wire is your idiot light your seing on the dash.

wp

BlueBead
01-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Do you have a multimeter so you can test it?

Battery fully charged should have about 12.7 volts car off. Optima might be a little higher.Maybe 13.3V. Car running the voltage should be 14V.

Since you have change the alt. and the battery I would look for loose/dirty/corroded conections at the battery posts. Also make sure your alt belt is tight enuff and the wires on the back on the alt. are all on. The smaller wire is your idiot light your seing on the dash.

wp
Listen to this guy, he's already said it all for me! Your wires are the likely culprit, and once that's fixed you'll change your mind on the POS part

MattsAccord
01-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It's bed time but I will check all the connections agian tomorrow. Hopefully it is something little like that.

Mac
01-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Something else you can check is fuse # 1 in the dash fuse panel and fuse # 8 in the under the hood fuse/relay panel.

MattsAccord
01-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Okay, I'm working on this again today. I had to replace the ground on the alternator itself. I'm just wondering if just a basic ring connector will work good enough. It has a big heavy duty one on it but I can find any that good, so will a basic ring connector work?

Second, The connectors on my battery are really corroded I’m thinking of just getting new ones. I need to run new wire for it, so will like 5 gauge speaker wire work or is there a curtain type of wire I should get.

Thanks for the help in my time of need guys. :cheers:

shepherd79
01-26-2005, 01:59 PM
if your connectors are corroded, just cut them and get new connectors from autoparts store.
or you can spend a little more and get gold plated connectors from autoparts store or caraudio store. i have gold plated battery connectors. i had them for 2 years, and i never saw any corrosion or anything like that.

MattsAccord
01-26-2005, 02:22 PM
if your connectors are corroded, just cut them and get new connectors from autoparts store.
or you can spend a little more and get gold plated connectors from autoparts store or caraudio store. i have gold plated battery connectors. i had them for 2 years, and i never saw any corrosion or anything like that.

Do you think it is worth it to get the gold platted ones compared to the regular ones?

shepherd79
01-26-2005, 03:03 PM
there are no diff. if you get the regular one, they are cheaper, you should pick up the special electrical greese or lubricant to put on the top of them. this way it will keep the moisture and water out.
the reason i got gold plated is because they look nice and i wasn't going to deal with all that lubricant crap.

Mac
01-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Okay, I'm working on this again today. I had to replace the ground on the alternator itself. I'm just wondering if just a basic ring connector will work good enough. It has a big heavy duty one on it but I can find any that good, so will a basic ring connector work?

I don't think that is a ground wire. I believe that it is the power wire from the battery. Be careful. Disconnect the battery first. That runs to a 70 amp fuse, so a heavy duty terminal would be better.

MattsAccord
01-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Yeah I relized that it was the power wire not a ground.

Oldblueaccord
01-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah I relized that it was the power wire not a ground.

They should have some premade battery wires at any autoparts place. Bigger is better. They use gold because it doesn't corrode like everything else. The grease is called dielectric(sp) grease. It prevents corrisoion on electrical contacts. I think it is silicone based. I use it on all kinds of connector that see weather. Some of those hydrualics hose places also make heavy duty wires up custom for like your altenator wire and such. There are charts that tell you what wire guage handles what amp size.

Like this one:

http://www.poweriseverything.com/impt-info/v-a-tablespage.html#Max%20Ampacity%20Chart

wp

A20A1
01-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Grease the connection with dielectrics???
Dielectrics are supposed to be nonconducting... but they let magnetic fields to pass thru... anyways... I'm guessing you mean coat the exterior of the terminals after the conncetion has been made...

Oldblueaccord
01-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Grease the connection with dielectrics???
Dielectrics are supposed to be nonconducting... but they let magnetic fields to pass thru... anyways... I'm guessing you mean coat the exterior of the terminals after the conncetion has been made...

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=18029&Category_Code=

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/electconnect.html

your really making me work for it tonight.

wp

MattsAccord
01-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Some of those hydrualics hose places also make heavy duty wires up custom for like your altenator wire and such. There are charts that tell you what wire guage handles what amp size.

I just need the ring connector. The one I put on it was just one of those ones that come in packs of like 25 from wal-mart. It has the plastic on the outside where you pinch it down at. I can't really find any heavy duty ones.

Oldblueaccord
01-27-2005, 01:13 AM
I just need the ring connector. The one I put on it was just one of those ones that come in packs of like 25 from wal-mart. It has the plastic on the outside where you pinch it down at. I can't really find any heavy duty ones.

Is it yellow? thats for 10 guage that prolly be OK for temp. Try and solder it would be better. Thats why I recommended getting one made those big guages are a PIA to solder. Homie's depot should have some heavy duty wire and lugs.

wp

MattsAccord
01-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Man getting to it is hard enough I can't imagine trying to solder it. If this one dosen't work then I give it a try. I might chack the hardware store tomorrow to see what they have but hopefully I'll be good to go after tomorrow. I'm tired of this crap.

Oldblueaccord
01-27-2005, 01:31 AM
Man getting to it is hard enough I can't imagine trying to solder it. If this one dosen't work then I give it a try. I might chack the hardware store tomorrow to see what they have but hopefully I'll be good to go after tomorrow. I'm tired of this crap.

Cmon Tex

take it off first solder it then put it back on

unhook the battery BEFORE you start wrenching on it

that #5 wire prolly be big enuff espically if you left the other wire on there too since it sounds like your in a jam

wp