PDA

View Full Version : rice?!

kauffman21
01-21-2005, 06:10 AM
im fairly new here and i was just wondering why everyone has a problem with the word "rice"? when something looks different everyone says rice, why is that? I know from being around older guys who ride bikes (uncles and their friends) that ANYTHING (cars-bikes) made in japan or similar is what they call a rice rocket or "rice". So i was wondering this......being as all of us own foreign cars and they are classified "rice" from the showroom floor....why are you all ashamed of having a rice car? isnt that the point of having one of these cars? to be able to put the body kits, loud mufflers,clear tail light, spoilers, foglights,etc.? correct me if im wrong but to me it seems as if alot of people here are like recovering drug addicts, meaning that you own a rice (on drugs) but deny that you do, and if someone remotley has a worse case than you do you call them the ricer (addict). sorry if i step on toes or piss you all off, but i just need to clear things up....im totally confused. Someone please explain to me why this happens so maybe one day I can call other people ricers also...... :uh:

carfreak
01-21-2005, 08:02 AM
im fairly new here and i was just wondering why everyone has a problem with the word "rice"? when something looks different everyone says rice, why is that? I know from being around older guys who ride bikes (uncles and their friends) that ANYTHING (cars-bikes) made in japan or similar is what they call a rice rocket or "rice". So i was wondering this......being as all of us own foreign cars and they are classified "rice" from the showroom floor....why are you all ashamed of having a rice car? isnt that the point of having one of these cars? to be able to put the body kits, loud mufflers,clear tail light, spoilers, foglights,etc.? correct me if im wrong but to me it seems as if alot of people here are like recovering drug addicts, meaning that you own a rice (on drugs) but deny that you do, and if someone remotley has a worse case than you do you call them the ricer (addict). sorry if i step on toes or piss you all off, but i just need to clear things up....im totally confused. Someone please explain to me why this happens so maybe one day I can call other people ricers also...... :uh:

to me rice is all show and no go. or like a wing. WTF is a wing supposed to do on FWD? the purpose of the wing is to push your back end down allowing more grip on the back tires on RWD.

And this is the king of ricers: http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34304 :rice:

NXRacer
01-21-2005, 08:31 AM
big body kits (especially if they're not painted), big annoying fart cannons, big park bench wings and altezzas are among the few things that make a car rice. Doesnt matter if its on a import or domestic. Its all the same. Go to www.ricecop.com. you'll get a good idea of what rice is.

kauffman21
01-21-2005, 08:38 AM
are those pics from someone on these boards? lol :kekeke: :lol: :kekeke: :lol:

88accordhb
01-21-2005, 09:25 AM
i agree with you that a while back, the word rice is just the word to describe a any car that came from japan or korea (asians eat rice). but youre confused now, because the semantics of the word rice as changed and is generally excepted as you know having a car that looks like a spaceship built by aliens. and there are also different levels of rice and different people see something that they might consider rice, while another see that and thinks it looks good. just a vague example, like uhhh instead of big body kits, you can get nowadays an lip kip, which i think looks great, it gives the car a bit more agressiveness, but others might call it ricey. soo yah the word has changed. rice is basically like carfreak said all show no go. but everyone has a different interpretation of it. you can have all show and the car is super fast too (teamrice.org) and i would consider that mildly ricey but you might not.

according to my definition, there are some ricers on this forum, me included.

Elijah
01-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Well for exampe you have that link up there. That thing is as rice as it gets. Hes got a big aluminum wing piontless, The decals piontless, Hoodscoop non functinal, The list just goes on and on. Is there a piont to any of this. And know the piont to these cars is not putting on body kits altezzas ect... This is where ricers come from thinking things like that. Me for example I have a I guess rice rocket it is a different term in my eyes.So I guess I can have one of those cause its a honda. But the thing is my rice rocket will keep up or even beat most the v8 cars you know. So ya i guess Iam a rock lol

snow_man_20
01-21-2005, 10:46 AM
and not far behind "the king of rice" is this guy! :lol:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=40791&page=2&pp=20

Low Tek
01-21-2005, 02:00 PM
lmao

johndej
01-21-2005, 04:35 PM
what about the ironing board one?

Neuspeed87lx
01-21-2005, 06:55 PM
well around here its pretty much every honda around.... they all have those ugly ass tail lights and wings and they think they are fast and they all go around racing eachother with their 19 second cars.... have u ever talked to any of these people about cars ? its very interesting how they try to talk like they know something about cars .... but all they really know how to do is pop on their plastic spin wheel covers, install an air intake ... and how to screw in ugly chrome tails .....

Silver86LX
01-21-2005, 08:42 PM
isnt that the point of having one of these cars? to be able to put the body kits, loud mufflers,clear tail light, spoilers, foglights,etc.?

That's not the reason why i bought my Honda. I bought it because it's reliable, easy to maintain and gets great fuel mileage for a 16 year old car. The Japanese make great cars known for these qualities.

well around here its pretty much every honda around.... they all have those ugly ass tail lights and wings and they think they are fast and they all go around racing eachother with their 19 second cars.... have u ever talked to any of these people about cars ? its very interesting how they try to talk like they know something about cars .... but all they really know how to do is pop on their plastic spin wheel covers, install an air intake ... and how to screw in ugly chrome tails .....

That's pretty much what comes to my mind when I think of the term "rice". People who just do it because it's the "in" thing are the real ricers.

Just my 2¢

phoenxislayer15
01-21-2005, 08:47 PM
People think I am a rice because there's a hole in my exhaust, which actually makes the car sound not too bad. It's not good, but it's low on the list of things to fix. When I pull up to somebody and my EGR system is causing my car to rev up and down, I usually get few rev backs and take offs.

89HondaLxi
01-21-2005, 09:53 PM
i really dont have a problem with wings and agressive looking bodykits as long as you have stuff to back it up.

Dr._8t9LX
01-21-2005, 10:27 PM
A ricer is a person, not a car. That is the big difference with the word. An Asian car runs on rice, i.e. Rice burner or rice rocket. A ricer is a person that copys what is on the outside but doesn't have it on the inside. Not legitament.

Blue Dragon shows this to a T. The final proof of his Riceness was that he posted someone elses engine as his own on a different web site. He is not legit, but a bad copy of trends from old magazines.

Some one who doesn't know better, could make the exact same car with good intentions and not be a ricer. But it hard to tell from a photo, how cool the owner really is. And sometimes, the giant shinny wing just isn't cool...

In Central America I saw alot of "ricer" hondas and even a few neons and chevy luv trucks. But these guys are being all they can be in the third world, and it was really cool to see. But if I saw that same car in Cali, I would laugh my a$$ off.

like this guy....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/pd1683670787d4333fbbe224fb5722cc7/f5625863.jpg

or this truck, which was pretty sweet...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/p00d1c81ce61b5de4b9375fe16f37806f/f5625786.jpg

kauffman21
01-22-2005, 05:48 AM
you would laugh your ass off at that neon? i admit neons are chick cars, but it looks nice.......

Dr._8t9LX
01-22-2005, 08:54 AM
It was like a BMW among hyundais where I saw it, in Costa Rica. The character driving it was obviously one of the Kings of Cool in the area, there were a bunch of tuner cars around for a meet or something. My point was that in Cali, the car would just be another neon. It was pretty nice though.

MrBen
01-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I'd laugh at the neon

They're disposable cars, I don't much see the point in even buying rims for it :werd:

HondaBoy
01-22-2005, 04:50 PM
if rice is all show and no go to some people, then i should get some pix of this group of cars at from the local hang out. my friends brother has this '01 jetta. its the shit 2.0 115hp engine. he finally got really clean decent rims, and then he got these 19in chrome wheels that look like ass! man he totally ruined the looks. anyway he thinks he's fast, but he's really pretty slow. he has all this neon on the car, he was trying to get me to put some underbody kit on my car which i really would rather not have. like i'm really going to take tips from him. lol. he's like 20 or so and he has no sense. as i was saying, in stock condition except for his exhaust, his car was still slower than my 3gee. this was before i got the new exhaust and rebuild the carb and other crap. and his car is a 5 speed. that doesnt say much for his car, now with the heavy chrome wheels i bet that slowed it down more. poor jetta.

Neuspeed87lx
01-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I'd laugh at the neon

They're disposable cars, I don't much see the point in even buying rims for it :werd:

i agree.... i would laugh at that neon too .... i pretty much get used to laughing at every car i see around here....

RiCANACCORD
01-22-2005, 07:16 PM

that's me !!!! :uh: question here for all non-ricers. Did you guys knew something about cars before you learned it ?! I'm sure not because we humans learn things, we just don't come to earth knowing! If you like rice just do it! I'm a proud ricer, but right after I swap the a20 you'll guys be sorry! :bowrofl:

Low Tek
01-22-2005, 07:21 PM
so.. if thays rice.. I guess I am screwed.. I am thinkin about molding some carbon fiber CRX rears in, and shaved antenia, rear wiper, and add a small spoiler. for looks.. but I am thinkin about getting a header back, with CAI, and upgrade some minor stuff (lowered, rims).. I am doin big money stuff to the corolla

Dr._8t9LX
01-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I think looks with no go is fine if it looks good, especially well done mods like lips and shaved what nots. But if it is all mis-matched and store bought stuff from pepboys......or if its done just so other guys in the parking lot think your cool....but if you like it and you do it for your own pleasure, then it can't be rice, no matter what....ofcoarse post some pics and we'll be the judge of that...HeHeHe :lol:

I think we all did some ricey $hit when we started without knowing any better.

So that truck in Costa Rica was typical down there. Notice the modified grill guard and the crome hub caps. They also love the stickers on the quarter panel and the fancy wipers and windsheild banners. Their favorite mod is the sticker over the fuel door that looks like a riveted race fuel gate and the visors on the side windows to keep the rain out.

8ate8
01-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I think looks with no go is fine if it looks good, especially well done mods like lips and shaved what nots. But if it is all mis-matched and store bought stuff from pepboys......or if its done just so other guys in the parking lot think your cool....

Exactly. Not all body/appearance mods are rice. Only the horribly done and tacky shit is. Lips spoilers, clear corner lenses, nice rims, etc. are all ok in my book :thumbup:

check my website for some good example of rice. http://www.jerseyrice.com

oh btw, *comes back from the dead* hello :D

A20A1
01-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Rice, Ricers, Rice burners.

I usually wont distinguish rice... but there are a few things I really don't like... namely the glow washer nozzles and 5 lbs of vinyl on the side of the car listing every part manufacturer... and most of them being APC or other cheap brands that only came about and clutter the performance market cause of all the hype.

A20A1
01-25-2005, 06:37 PM
that's me !!!! :uh: question here for all non-ricers. Did you guys knew something about cars before you learned it ?! I'm sure not because we humans learn things, we just don't come to earth knowing! If you like rice just do it! I'm a proud ricer, but right after I swap the a20 you'll guys be sorry! :bowrofl:

I went thru a phase where I painted my interior black with spray paint and painted the speaker grills after i removed the fablric covering... then when duplicotor come out with the spray on fabric color I made my seats black which then made my clothes black and the seats slowly returned to grey.

I bough floor mats, black with yellow boarder... got a yellow and black steering wheel... painted engine parts yellow... painted a chep set or sparkplug wires yellow... made a grill for my bumper... added a 3" tip to my muffler and used some kind of modeling clay to fill in the gaps so it looked like the tip was a part of the muffler and not just bolted on. I added a wooden board to replace the cardboard deck in the trunk and staple gunned black carpet to it. I removed my hub caps. I bought this crappy but cool RPM gauge that you could select the background color light... it couldn't stand my coil I guess cause it burnt out real quick. I added christmas light as colored door courtesy lights. I painted my steelies chrome then went back to black... I added various hood scoops and vents. cut the springs. used AOL cd's as templates for round lights... I painted the rest of the lights black... later I cut out the unpainted portion of the lights and stuck in 4 round truck light.

Then I got serious...

I started with a cat back
got some rims
did mods to the engine
got coil overs
got better quality gauges
got JDM tailights
built my header
and now I'm working on building other parts.

A20A1
01-25-2005, 06:41 PM
edit: actually it was SURGE cd's cause surge just came out and they were sending surge CD's in the mail for some reason... I didn't bother drinking surge or listening to the music.

AccordArizona89
01-26-2005, 03:16 PM
another rice thread.... whaaaaaaaaaaa rice is played out F&F boyssss

89dxowner
01-27-2005, 03:05 AM
A ricer is a person, not a car. That is the big difference with the word. An Asian car runs on rice, i.e. Rice burner or rice rocket. A ricer is a person that copys what is on the outside but doesn't have it on the inside. Not legitament.

Blue Dragon shows this to a T. The final proof of his Riceness was that he posted someone elses engine as his own on a different web site. He is not legit, but a bad copy of trends from old magazines.

Some one who doesn't know better, could make the exact same car with good intentions and not be a ricer. But it hard to tell from a photo, how cool the owner really is. And sometimes, the giant shinny wing just isn't cool...

In Central America I saw alot of "ricer" hondas and even a few neons and chevy luv trucks. But these guys are being all they can be in the third world, and it was really cool to see. But if I saw that same car in Cali, I would laugh my a$$ off.

like this guy....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/pd1683670787d4333fbbe224fb5722cc7/f5625863.jpg

or this truck, which was pretty sweet...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/p00d1c81ce61b5de4b9375fe16f37806f/f5625786.jpg

Hey I have a LUV truck but its not all riced out lol.