PDA

View Full Version : bad starter?

AccordNut
01-22-2005, 04:39 PM
about 1/2 the time when i start my car it kind of stutters like, crank...crank....crank....crank, crank.....crank, start. and sometimes it makes a metal scraping sound (like when you try to crank your car when its already started)

i just replaced the battery connectors and bolted them down tight, i also cleaned off both wires that go to the starter and got them on tight. thats why i think its the starter, any other suggestions i could check on?

Volitech
01-22-2005, 04:45 PM
about 1/2 the time when i start my car it kind of stutters like, crank...crank....crank....crank, crank.....crank, start. and sometimes it makes a metal scraping sound (like when you try to crank your car when its already started)

i just replaced the battery connectors and bolted them down tight, i also cleaned off both wires that go to the starter and got them on tight. thats why i think its the starter, any other suggestions i could check on?

Well if that is your problem I have a new one you can buy never used just lost the box for it! $75 + shipping Ohh and it's a denso starter

BlueBead
01-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a starter to me.... after a while they just won't engage with the flywheel and spin quickly, doing nothing...
Good luck

Neuspeed87lx
01-22-2005, 06:09 PM
did u repleace the battery or just the connectors ? if not just do a quick check on the battery and the charging system ... your local auto zone will do it free .... if thats all good ide go after the starter

AccordNut
01-22-2005, 07:18 PM
its possible i guess that the battery is low, i can check that myself...i know the alternator has never been replaced and ive gone 76k on it

how much would a new starter cost, anyone have any idea

AccordNut
01-24-2005, 06:21 AM
kind of a dumb question, but i want to make sure...im thinkin about buying a new starter, when you buy one from autozone or some place like that, does the starter come with the solenoid, or is it just the starter motor?

and how easy is it to replace by myself?

Mac
01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
They usually come complete with solenoid. At the counter just pull it out of the box and look at it. It's not that hard to change. 2 wires and 2 bolts.

BlueBead
01-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Its real easy as long as you don't have AC.. if you do its a biatch to get back on b/c the effing hoses are in the way(at least mine were)
Otherwise its like Mac said; there are the two mounting bolts and two wires, a small clip on wire and the positive wire from your battery. Just be careful that you don't break the end off of the power lead (starter end) I did that a couple of weeks ago and I was very glad to have a parts car.
Get a good flashlight and a ratchet with an extender (12 & 14mm sockets I think) then go to it. If you are any good with tools it should be a max half hour job to swap them out. Take some hand cleaner and some shop towels, and you could do it in the autopart's parking lot...

biloyp
01-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah sounds like your starter is getting cranking volts (current) whatever, but the starter just aint cranking the engine.