PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel frame kits?

Accord87LxiNate
01-23-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm tired of the rust on my 87 accord lxi. Here in MA, cars rust very quickly.
However, mechanically, my 87 is in great condition. And I don't want to junk my car.

I am in search of a good body that I can use. Perhaps from FL or Texas.
But if I am going to go through that much trouble, I might as well weld together a stainless steel frame/subframe so that my car would last forever. Then I can put on a killer custom suspension.

Does anyone have any information relating to this?
Has anyone done this before?
Any kits available?

Thanks,
Nate

smufguy
01-23-2005, 08:25 AM
nothing is available but i can give you some advise on how to prevent rust. okay, here is the thing. IF the rust is just forming and can be taken down by a wire wheel or a sander, i suggest you do that. Depending on where it is, Im assuming its in the engine bay, i say pull the motor and do what i did. I sprayed the whole engine bay with underbody coating that would lock out any moisture it comes exposed to. it is really great and woks wonderfully.

http://img188.exs.cx/img188/2926/paintedenginebay3vl.jpg

shepherd79
01-23-2005, 08:25 AM
LOL, stainless steel frame for our cars LOL. you have to be kidding.
no company will even bother making one for our cars. they are not worth it.
you better off, just get a new car and keep the one you have for parts.

Accord87LxiNate
01-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the advise.
Yes, taking the engine out and removing all the rust, then painting it would buy an extra 5 years or so. But it requires a tremendous sacrafice of time, energy and effort. Not sure if it would be worth it for my 87 accord.

I was not sure if there was a stainless steel kit available that enables one to adjust and modify certain suspension components thereby allowing custom suspensions with minimal adjustment. I envisioned this kit to replace/bolt onto the existing frame. Then stainless steel tubes could run to the rear of the vehicle where the rear wheels could be mounted. A tremendous amount of work, but it would last forever.

But I suppose it would be easier to go out and buy a new accord. New 05 accords are going for around $15,000. If it lasts 15 years, then thats only about 1000 per year + maintenance costs. A better deal for the money.

Then I would find another project to work on...

A20A1
01-24-2005, 02:46 AM
hmm, maybe if you build it hot rod style then bolt the body to the frame... it be a lot more weight though, and you'de still have to bother with body rust...

I was looking for stainless steel frames and ended up coming across and interesting fact with the deloreans... they were not entirely stainless. hm

Still it's a cool way to build a car... and you can always heat up the metal and turn it gold. :D

Anyways if you go thur the trouble of making a custom fram make it so you can drop in a better motor and like you said more options for suspension too. But all that work just to have the same old same old doesn't seem much worth it.

Strugglebucket
01-24-2005, 03:09 AM
deloreans rock. not to mention the whole time-travel thing.:naughty:

A20A1
01-24-2005, 03:15 AM
I actually covered the inside of my bay with bed liner... it was left over from my friends truck... nasty stuff... I got it on a few bolts so I gotta do some cleanup work if I want to remove some suspension parts. It was a quick job... the stuff was already mixed and was going to go to waste if I didn't use it.

Blkblurr
01-25-2005, 06:42 AM
I don't think our cars have a frame. It's unibody construction.