PDA

View Full Version : B20a turbo manifold help!

adams86lxi
01-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Alright im going to be turboing my b20a, yea the secrets out, lol! I got the turbo already, its a td04 from a wrx. Now im going to be building a custom manifold for it, unless i can acutally find one that fits on a b20a for cheap. I had a few questions about making a custom manifold. What kind of metal to use, how big and what kind of metal to make the runners/flange out of etc. Anyone that has any tips for me building a manifold let me know. I was thinking of just making a log style manifold because i have no idea how im going to squeeze all of this down in the engine bay and the log manifold seems easiest. I cant seem to find any pre bent little pieces of exaust piping that is bent at the angle i need them for the log manifold. So if you guys have any tips let me know! THANKS!!!

BTW: i remember someone on here made a home made custom manifold for there a20 and it seemed like a good design that i might consider trying. I would really like to see those pics of it again but i cant find it. I believe it was a black accord not lowered or anything with the intercooler pressed up against the bumber and it looked awesome.

A20A1
01-23-2005, 06:57 PM
There is info on building manifold in the Turbo FAQ...

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169

Scroll down till you see

http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=440728&postcount=2

thats where I posted all the links.
There should be #1 thru #4

AccordEpicenter
01-23-2005, 07:00 PM
whoa... ok you can buy the flanges from WeirRacing (BMC supposedly doenst make flanges anymore, faggots) if i were you id use either schedule 10 stainless weld el's in 1.5" id or some schedule 40 steel in the same size. You can get these from plumbing supply houses etc for about $5 a fitting. To make a log manifold you can simply use 90* elbows for the pipe and T fittings to get it all together. I made mine from schedule 40 mild steel and it came out great but i have a 4-1 design. I got my
90*s from a local place and got the schedule 40 steel pipe in 1.5" at home depot.

A20A1
01-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey here is a place that sells bends

http://www.globaltecheng.com/elbows.htm

gotta add it to the FAQ if I haven't already.

A20A1
01-23-2005, 08:20 PM
haha, they sell blowers too.
http://www.globaltecheng.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=5

adams86lxi
01-23-2005, 08:21 PM
alright cool, thanks guys i might try to build one like yours accordepicenter i like the design but i still most likely will go with the log. So accordepicenter your saying i could probbaly do something like this. With pluming fittings for the log style. I took this pic about a week ago at home depot and it kinda made me think of a log style manifold. But it would have to bea different kind of steel because this pipe fittings were galvanized steel which i dont think welds well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/adams86lxi/01-22-05_1659.jpg

adams86lxi
01-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey here is a place that sells bends

http://www.globaltecheng.com/elbows.htm

gotta add it to the FAQ if I haven't already.

ahh, good find i might have to get some bends from them!

A20A1
01-23-2005, 08:24 PM
ewe... galv makes some nasty fumes... very messy too.

AccordEpicenter
01-23-2005, 08:48 PM
ahh, good find i might have to get some bends from them!

those are too thin for primaries, theyll prolly melt. You could do somthing like the one in your pict but stay away from those galvanized ones, they can be a hassle to deal with and create noxious fumes when you weld them, plus those are threaded, you want the butt weld versions which arent silver, theyre black

adams86lxi
01-23-2005, 08:54 PM
You could do somthing like the one in your pict but stay away from those galvanized ones, they can be a hassle to deal with and create noxious fumes when you weld them, plus those are threaded, you want the butt weld versions which arent silver, theyre black

hmm, you think i could find those at a local hardware store too? Like home depot, lowes, etc?

88accordhb
01-23-2005, 10:57 PM
good luck adam, youre my effin' hero.

RobT5580
01-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Adam someone does make it for the prelude B20A5 but i think they were $400 or something like that for a log manifold. Once in a while a Ludespeed one will pop but but its a rare find so you wont find it dirt cheap unless you get lucky. If you have someone that can weld i would suggest doing one like the Ludespeed setup since it certainly flows better than a log manifold. Its a bit more work but the same concept as making a log maifold.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p0f26e9530e5cd3489f9033c7a30730d6/fa07268e.jpg

AccordEpicenter
01-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah im with rob 100% on this one. Log manis flow like ass, and youll def get some gains going to a mani like rob's vs a log, and they arent that much harder to make

RobT5580
01-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah im with rob 100% on this one. Log manis flow like ass, and youll def get some gains going to a mani like rob's vs a log, and they arent that much harder to make

I will see how my setup works out in the spring. The ludespeed is not bad and is pretty thick material so it should hold up well. If i decide to upgrade im gonna take my car to Full Race and see if they will make me a manifold. Yeah they are expensive but they are proven and quality is pretty much as good as it gets. The guys there seem awesome but they are growing like crazy so a project like mine might not be worth their time. But i think if need be i could modify an existing manifold a bit if i had to. There are not to many things im considering to change since i want to start a new project in the next year so i can enjoy the accord. But if i do any upgrades it would be turbo, manifold, injectors, axles. But i think im going to leave it pretty much as is with the exception of the fluidyne radiator, BBK Intake/TB manifold. Because im going to start blowing headgaskets if i crank the boost up to high. Plus the body and interior will run another $6k or so maybe more so this car needs to be driven a lot for me to appreciate my time and money already in it.

adams86lxi
01-24-2005, 09:54 PM
alright cool. I might try another manifold design then. Now i just need to find a place that has pipes that will work for me!!! 1/2 inch steel sound good for the flange. Im trying to get a couple people to get a piece of good metal for it from there work for me so i can start that in the next couple days.

A20A1
01-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I beleive in one of the sites or on a different site they cut the flange between the ports to allow for thermal expansion.

Also I read that having the exit for the wastegate centered where all 4 pipes meet works better then having the Wastegate only over one or two pipes.

AccordEpicenter
01-24-2005, 11:29 PM
i bet you could get a b series weld flange cnc machined 1/2" steel for around $35 or so... well worth the money.

RobT5580
01-25-2005, 06:04 AM
Adam, If you have the manifold made keep in mind where the front mount is because if the manifold is like mine and they lay the flange (turbo) straight you will have trouble with the front mount. My turbo sits right above my front mount the way it is now. If the manifold is a log or like mine just watch out for that. I also had to use a SPAL slim fan becauase if the location of the turbo so there are some things you have to consider when having a manifold made if they dont do it on the car.

AccordEpicenter
01-25-2005, 02:16 PM
i have enough room in the front with the radiator but had to ditch the a/c fan, but since i dont have a/c anyway its cool. Also i had to notch the beam to get my manifold to work... no big deal, just took some bashing to fit

RobT5580
01-25-2005, 04:23 PM
i have enough room in the front with the radiator but had to ditch the a/c fan, but since i dont have a/c anyway its cool. Also i had to notch the beam to get my manifold to work... no big deal, just took some bashing to fit

The B20A takes up more room up front so the fans will probably be an issue no matter what but slim fans are not that expensive and you can even buy push vs pull fans to mount on the AC condensor side. Just for the hell of it im going to go to the parts store my friend works at and compare more exhaust gaskets because i found a manifold for the 86-89 Teg today and it was a cast one too.

A20A1
01-25-2005, 04:49 PM
What about the PWR or Fluidyne Civic radiator and have the turbo off to one side.

RobT5580
01-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I dont think for a turbo car that would be wise because your cutting down the size by almost half and the accord does not have that big of an opening in the bumper for good flow. If the flow was better i would consider it but the B20A heats up fast and just in traffic my temp would climb fast as it was. Im gonna hook up a switch so i can turn the fan on manually for situations like that but i was in 30 degree weather and no turbo so i expect more heat with the turbo and i dont want to skimp on the cooling for that reason. Im gonna order the 90-93 teg fluidyne real soon so i can work on fitting it in properly.

AccordEpicenter
01-25-2005, 06:38 PM
im running an aluminum koyo radiator and the car runs real cool even under boost and thrashing... it was like $95 shipped or somthing

adams86lxi
01-25-2005, 08:48 PM
which fan can i get rid off? I dont have ac so which fan can i get rid of that went to the ac? Is it the smaller one or the bigger one because if its the smaller one then it would clear up some room for the turbo. And if its the bigger one could i just get rid of one of the fans and just move the other one to the passenger side of the radiator.

A20A1
01-26-2005, 12:21 AM
The small one is for A/C

You can move the large fan over to the small fan side if you want... but you'll need to lengthen the wires.
I've mounted 2 large stock fans side by side, but the one on the drivers side will only have one or two bolts holes to serure it the others will have to be adapted.

RobT5580
01-26-2005, 06:17 AM
I will keep you posted on the 90-93 teg fluidyne since i ordered it last night. Im hoping that i could just move the mounting stubs and have a good fit but i will do what ever fab needed for it. It was a toss up between the radiator or BBK Intake manifold but the radiator will probably need more fabrication so i figured i would get that out of the way while its stored and have all the tools i need there.

RobT5580
01-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Well back on topic a bit. I compared a H22 gasket to my B20A and to be very honest its not as bad as i thought it was. The bolt holes dont line up exactly but are only have by about a half a bolt and the ports 2 are almost dead on and the other two you could port the flange a little for better flow. Im still going to check tomorrow at the parts store and see if the first gen teg lines up since they make a nice cast manifold already.

Here are some pics!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid156/pa56cb34bef6cb6fd72a238a80d6a5421/f553f215.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid156/p4cd698c781f0245fa807992de938a194/f553f211.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid156/pc51e0912e87e1be33929b8e94635edc0/f553f210.jpg

The top outer holes line up and the rest are in the same are just off by about half a hole or so. Then the middle ports overlap about 3/16's so this is a pretty good line up.

adams86lxi
01-26-2005, 09:30 PM
damn, good find rob! I got a piece of 1/2 steel yesterday so im probbaly going to see what i could do with that but do you think a h22 manifold would be fairly easy to modify to fit then?

RobT5580
01-27-2005, 06:34 AM
As long as there is enough overlap to widen the mounting holes you should be fine. The center ports would be fine if you port the edge of the manifold so there is not a sharp edge there. Im still gonna check for any other matchs today.

BTW: I seen a picture of a H22 (well appears) on a prelude. Its the manifold that looks like a header with long runners that iv only seen made for the prelude.

RobT5580
01-28-2005, 05:33 PM
For the other guys interested i checked a b16 and d16 and they were far off so the H22 is probably going to be the closest which was not bad to begin with but was worth a shot for a better match.

A20A1
01-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Stailess Works makes flanges.. you just need to send them your template... no job is too big or too small they say.