PDA

View Full Version : Head light replacement

w00tw00t111
01-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey you guys! I am sure that you have heard of the new SilverStar headlights. If you haven't it's basically as close to HID without actually buying an HID conversion. Anyways I was talking to the guys at autozone and they said that for my accord you have to replace the whole unit! Is this true or can you just replace the bulb? Any help would be great!

AccordArizona89
01-23-2005, 09:00 PM
i seen those but i dunno for that price if they are gunna be the icey blue look i like

88accordalltheway
01-23-2005, 09:17 PM
if your talking about the whole piece, as in like all the glass part and everything behind it, then yes you change it out because its a sealed beam. The only way you wouldnt change it out would be if you had the diamond cut ones from ebay, those take the actual bulbs.

Underdog
01-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Yeah, you can get sealed beam Sylvania Silverstars, they're $20 a piece here at our autozone. If you get eh H4 conversion, then you can just buy the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, which is still like $15 a bulb i think.

88accordalltheway
01-23-2005, 09:29 PM
If you get eh H4 conversion, then you can just buy the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, which is still like $15 a bulb i think.
yeah but remember, if you plan on doing this you need to get the housing too, your not going to be able to put those on your stock sealed beam or anything.

HondaBoy
01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
i dont know why, but i still feel like it is false advertisement to say its anything similar to an HID system. as close or not, well its not. i tried them out and was unimpressed. its just that for $20 a bulb, i'd expect a brighter light than the GE super blue bulbs i used before that. anyway, they do look great when your looking at them on the car.

BlueBead
01-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah, Sealed beams, the H5064 series headlight(4x7 inches), are what you need to buy unless you are willing to buy these and do a conversion (they're the diamondback HID type) :cool:
http://autocity.00go.com/diamondcut/sq_diamond1.jpg
Off of ebay or some tuner shop (they're cheaper on ebay)
I've been thinking about the conversion, but it will have to wait until I'm working again :mad:
If you want an improvement over the stock type halogens and don't want to mess around with an HID conversion I'd go with the Silverstars... they're not the best option, but they are a decent improvement over stock and not that much more than the stock lights. You can always try them and do the HIDs later if you're still not happy. I think thats the route I'll be following this spring.
Good luck either way!

w00tw00t111
01-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Thanks you guys! One of my friends bought the bulb type for his car and they looked a lot better then stock, in my opinion. I just don't know for the price of HID if I want to do it. If any one has done it about how much does it cost? I remember reading a super street about a year ago and saw an add for bulbs and a switch thing and it was like $200 which is wwaaaaaaayyyyy out of my price range!

BDaccordguy
01-24-2005, 07:13 AM
i was impressed with the sealed beam Silverstars when i had them on my 3g, the light was a lot whiter that stock, and lit up the road better

w00tw00t111
01-24-2005, 08:17 AM
HeyBDaccordguy, where did you get your wheels from? I need some 18' but, they need to be cheap. Like in the $300 range. They can be a little more but, they have to come with tires if they are. Until I started working I just never realized how expensive they were.

HostileJava
01-24-2005, 08:26 AM
HeyBDaccordguy, where did you get your wheels from? I need some 18' but, they need to be cheap. Like in the $300 range. They can be a little more but, they have to come with tires if they are. Until I started working I just never realized how expensive they were.

A set of 4 18's for under 300? I hope your thinking used.

Mattphi
01-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Yeah, Sealed beams, the H5064 series headlight(4x7 inches), are what you need to buy unless you are willing to buy these and do a conversion (they're the diamondback HID type) :cool:
http://autocity.00go.com/diamondcut/sq_diamond1.jpg
Off of ebay or some tuner shop (they're cheaper on ebay)
I've been thinking about the conversion, but it will have to wait until I'm working again :mad:
If you want an improvement over the stock type halogens and don't want to mess around with an HID conversion I'd go with the Silverstars... they're not the best option, but they are a decent improvement over stock and not that much more than the stock lights. You can always try them and do the HIDs later if you're still not happy. I think thats the route I'll be following this spring.
Good luck either way!

Are those the Silverstars that everyone has been talking ABout? If not are there any pictures of them?

sporkHSP
01-26-2005, 10:42 AM
silver stars would relpace the bulbs... the housing would look like that depending on the kit you buy. my housing cost like $30 and the silverstar bulbs were $20 a piece... that housing looks better than mine, i just got the Pilot kit from autozone...

BDaccordguy
01-26-2005, 11:05 AM

Those wheels came with my car, and they were actually silver not black. Thats a slightly photoshopped picture. As for the brand they were Konig Reign 16" wheels. They used to be for sale on www.discounttire.com i think, but they are an "exclusive" Konig wheel or something so they may not make em anymore. Yea, if you are looking to find wheels that cheap, you may want to look on ebay. The cheapest other place to get wheel/tire combos would be like www.wheelmax.com or www.wheelguyz.com .

Underdog
01-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Are those the Silverstars that everyone has been talking ABout? If not are there any pictures of them?
No, the silverstar sealed beams look like pretty much like normal sealed beams, but have the silverstar bulb in them. Those are the H4 conversion housings, and then you could get H4 silverstar bulbs to go in those.

shepherd79
01-26-2005, 03:35 PM
first thing first, Silverstart light bulbs suck. they claim to be the brightest on the market, but they are not. they are better light bulbs out there. Silverstar is 50 state / Canada legal bulbs that puts out brighter light around 4000K light output. That is not a lot brighter than standard halogen light bulb 3200-3500Kelvin output.
If you want something close to HID this is what you need Raybrig White Sonic http://store.racinglab.com/raywhitsonh4.html
Even the brightest PIAA bulbs don't come even close to Raybrig. Yeah they are expensive, but they are worth every single penny, trust me. I had my bulbs for about 1.5 years now.

second, If you do decide to do with H4 conversion, you need to find a housing that doesn't have daylight bulb in it. Most of the ones on ebay have daylight bulbs in them and that can cause major moisture problems. I went through 3 different housing. They are had day light in them. They were cheap, and I didn't want to spend big money of good stuff. All 3 pairs leaked or had moisture in them. I tried to seal them, but that didn't help. So i just got H4 conversion without daylight, and I haven't had a problem. the total cost for just the housing $60 from ebay. I searched for a long time to find those. Plus Raybrig bulbs and I have very close HID lights on my car. I even compared them with true HID and they are just a tid bit darker.

I am not telling you to go with what i have. I am just telling you that "you get what you pay for". Silverstar may be nice, but they are too dark for me. I am addicted to HID look. oh and real HID conversion will cost you way more than $200. It would be about $600 for bulbs and two units. As Paul from russia, he has them on his car.

Busted_Blue
01-26-2005, 11:38 PM
i agree with Alex. Nuff said.

I dont have the heart to spend 90bucks on Raybrigs.. I wish I live closer to Alex to see the look first before getting a set.

I paid 20bucks for my silverstars and 10bucks for the housings...total 30bucks for housings that is still far brighter than my stock sealed beams..so I still say it was worth it for my price. Rarely leaks...so its all G for me..at least for now. I don't need too much for lighting as I got foglights to help me out there.

88accordhb
01-26-2005, 11:42 PM
uhh yah i would get thems there lights but my car is sooo gay, i'm not even gonna bother.

snow_man_20
01-27-2005, 12:33 AM
$90 is a little much for lights when you can't see them on, if i could see them on i might buy them if thay were blinding on the high beams :tongue:

BlueBead
01-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Damn.. I didn't know about the leaking! :rocket:
I think I'll stick with sealed beam silverstars as my choice :ugh2:

MattsAccord
01-27-2005, 01:03 AM
I have the sealed beam silverstars and I really like them.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-27-2005, 03:28 PM
I got eurolite projector housings and Silverstar bulbs, they work pretty well, but get so damn dirty all the time from the roads here lately, i have to wash them like every day... Thats one thing i hate about our cars.

L337Ride
01-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Just do an HID conversion if you want some kick ass lights. There is no substitute. Silverstars just look like a normal halogen imo. Trust me, its a word of difference from some fakey colored blue HID knockoffs (dont worry, im guilty also.) I had an H4 conversion on my LX-I.

L337Ride
01-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks you guys! One of my friends bought the bulb type for his car and they looked a lot better then stock, in my opinion. I just don't know for the price of HID if I want to do it. If any one has done it about how much does it cost? I remember reading a super street about a year ago and saw an add for bulbs and a switch thing and it was like $200 which is wwaaaaaaayyyyy out of my price range!

You can get a kit for 300 shipped off of ebay. If you are considering this you can pm me and I will help you. Most kits come with glareshields, upgraded fuses, and a wiring harness so you dont burn your stock harness when the HIDs start burning, they suck some major juice on startup.

http://www.boomspeed.com/frizzel/HID10.JPG

3rdgeneration
01-29-2005, 10:27 AM
those sliver star bulbs are a bad idea, as for the Raybrig White Sonic ive never herd of them or know anyone with them so i have no idea the quality, but i have the H4 Conversion Headlights ION BLUE w/PIAA H4 9003 Plasma Blue bulbs and they are very bright and very blue, but as mentioned there is nothing better the the true HID.

gsus
01-30-2005, 12:05 AM
I got eurolite projector housings and Silverstar bulbs, they work pretty well, but get so damn dirty all the time from the roads here lately, i have to wash them like every day... Thats one thing i hate about our cars.

have any pictures? how's the light spread? do they seem to be better than the h4 conversions? are the housing that you got like the ones available on ebay? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7949964168&category=33710&sspagename=WD1V)

PortugalFocus
01-30-2005, 10:30 AM
I have the SilverStars in my wife's and my car. I decided to go with them after replacing 3 sets of the APC Super Blues in 2 years. Hope fully they will last a bit longer. They are much brighter and whiter than stock and the APC's.

88accordalltheway
01-30-2005, 11:31 AM
your mad because the car gets dirty?? LOL

I dont know why some of you hate silverstars, yeah they are an item where you get what you pay for, but you know what, it definatly looks better than stock.

88accordhb
01-30-2005, 11:34 AM
i don't care wat i have, as long as it allows me to see the road. i'm not big on that hyper white blue crap.

Defiant[YD]
01-31-2005, 06:24 PM
i did the H4 conversions to my car 2-3 years ago. the eurolite conversions with the daylight running bulbs and the Eurolite fusion h4 bulbs. i've never had any problems with condensation and the bulbs haven't burnt out at all. The bulbs and the chrome backing make it look like HIDs.

w00tw00t111
02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey you guys! Just a little update. Got my H4 conversion kit in today. I ordered a shaved door handle kit and hope to get that in soon. Got my side-skirts on, on Sunday. Hopefully I will paint it soon! Can't wait!!

BlueBead
02-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey you guys! Just a little update. Got my H4 conversion kit in today. I ordered a shaved door handle kit and hope to get that in soon. Got my side-skirts on, on Sunday. Hopefully I will paint it soon! Can't wait!!
Get some pics up when you do!

w00tw00t111
02-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Get some pics up when you do!
Sure thing. I've been really sick. But, I can't wait to put them in!

w00tw00t111
02-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey you guys put my headlights in today. Man I like the way they look. I didn't put silverstars in just the stock bulbs that came with them. Have to save up for silverstars. Here's some pics. <p>

http://www.geocities.com/w00tw00t111/lamp.jpg

This is the lamp.<br>
Here is a comparison to the stock lamp. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!'

http://www.geocities.com/w00tw00t111/comparison.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/w00tw00t111/withthemon.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pics. Got a question for y'all. The blue light had a red and black wire. The black wire should be screwed to ground I assume. The question comes as to how do I wire or where do I wire the red wire to?

All in all it was worth the $20.

BDaccordguy
02-10-2005, 06:15 PM
*off topic* what kit is that?

w00tw00t111
02-10-2005, 07:05 PM

To be quite honest I don't know. I just went on to eBay and searched for h4 conversion kit and looked for the cheapest one. I said for $20 for the two units and for 2 bulbs it's worth a chance.

Just used them at night for the first time. MAN those things are awesome!! They are so white. It's a major improvement on stock. They also look the part too.

snow_man_20
02-11-2005, 12:22 AM

I think he was talking about your bumper? Mabie :dunno:

w00tw00t111
02-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I think he was talking about your bumper? Mabie :dunno:

Oh if he was talking about the bumber it is Drifter. I have an extra one still in the box if you wanna buy it. Let me know.

The Borges
02-11-2005, 06:43 PM
I went a totally different rought. I took the stock lights completly out and put in lexus es 300 projector cores in. there are pics of it done on my cardomain site. I havent finished the conversion totally but will be putting up pics when im totally done

www.cardomain.com/id/theborges look at page 4

w00tw00t111
02-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I went a totally different rought. I took the stock lights completly out and put in lexus es 300 projector cores in. there are pics of it done on my cardomain site. I havent finished the conversion totally but will be putting up pics when im totally done

That'll look really good

w00tw00t111
02-17-2005, 08:21 PM
OMG! So I replaced one of my bulbs today with a silver star. "Closest headlight to HID" That could be the biggest lie that I have ever heard! The stock bulbs that came with my conversion were about 20 to 30% britter(spelling?) And those bulbs came free!!!

qh187
02-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I hate blue bulbs. "white" doesn't neccesarily mean that its "brighter". Any coated bulb is going to provide less usable light than a regular halogen bulb. Regular halogen bulbs might be more yellow in color but they give you the most light. Also blue bulbs really really suck in the rain/snow.

2drSE-i
02-18-2005, 12:41 PM
The Borges, that looks freakin awesome, it will look even better when you get everything to line up, but it looks GREAT!

L337Ride
02-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I hate blue bulbs. "white" doesn't neccesarily mean that its "brighter". Any coated bulb is going to provide less usable light than a regular halogen bulb. Regular halogen bulbs might be more yellow in color but they give you the most light. Also blue bulbs really really suck in the rain/snow.

Blue light isnt much different in the rain/snow vs normal halogen. You must be talking about a cheap set of tintet blue halogens vs stock halogens, you are right in that case just because the tinted glass acts as a filter and kills output. If you try some real HIDs with real blue light with 3x the output in lumans vs stock halogens, your gonna be better off in the rain/snow with the HIDs. The visibility is no contest.

w00tw00t111
02-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Blue light isnt much different in the rain/snow vs normal halogen. You must be talking about a cheap set of tintet blue halogens vs stock halogens, you are right in that case just because the tinted glass acts as a filter and kills output. If you try some real HIDs with real blue light with 3x the output in lumans vs stock halogens, your gonna be better off in the rain/snow with the HIDs. The visibility is no contest.
Yeah I've seen what he's talking about at autozone. You can probley bet that something that costs $7 it won't be all that great. Just my .02 cents.

qh187
02-22-2005, 07:49 AM

yeah you're right. I was just making a comment on the blue bulbs that came with my H4 conversions. They suck balls...worse than my regular sealed beams. Any kind of HIDs beat halogens hands down.

The same concept applies with HIDs though...."blue" light is worse for the rain/snow/fog. The more yellow it is the better. That's why true fog lights are yellow. Also with HIDs the higher the color temp. the less output. 7000k, 8000k, 9000k, etc get worse and worse as you go up. I'm getting HIDs soon and I'm going for the OEM 4100k bulbs. Most reliable and highest output.

Most people think HIDs cost you a bundle...you can get a good kit for around $250. I think once you get HIDs it'll outlast the car.

w00tw00t111
02-24-2005, 09:20 PM
$250 is still alot for a student though.

SexyEroticIndividual
03-01-2005, 09:54 AM

Hey, how did you do that custom LED thing on your tails? I want to do that with my 89 SE-i, but I dont know what to do. Please help me!!

HostileJava
03-01-2005, 11:42 AM
That's kinda what I was talking about with using truck tails and painting the rest of the housing the same color as the body.

Get somthing like this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7958041665&category=33716

Remove them from the metal housing, cut round holes in ur tails, mount them and wire them to the existing harness, then pull them out, have the tails painted same color as your body and remount the lights when done.

SexyEroticIndividual
03-01-2005, 12:01 PM
That's kinda what I was talking about with using truck tails and painting the rest of the housing the same color as the body.

Get somthing like this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7958041665&category=33716

Remove them from the metal housing, cut round holes in ur tails, mount them and wire them to the existing harness, then pull them out, have the tails painted same color as your body and remount the lights when done.

yeah, that's how i want to do mine, but how do i do that without breaking any laws, like how do i know what lights are necessary and have to be seen, or how much of it needs to be seen rather.

HostileJava
03-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I would think that lights like that should be fine, those lights are DOT approved Tail Lights. Hell most of the aftermarket lights you see are not DOT approved, but people rarely get pulled over for them.

SexyEroticIndividual
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I would think that lights like that should be fine, those lights are DOT approved Tail Lights. Hell most of the aftermarket lights you see are not DOT approved, but people rarely get pulled over for them.

but how do i know where to put the circles?? excuse me for being dumb to this kind of stuff, but i'm a girl and i dont know much about making things like that, but i'll do it myself before i let somebody show me out.

HostileJava
03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm not exacty sure what you mean by where. If you mean where on the tail lights, put them wherever it looks the best to you and the tail light is still structuraly sound. As long as the lights are clearly visible on the back of the car it doesn't matter where exactly you mount them.

acco-R-d
03-03-2005, 10:51 PM
heres my silverstars http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/749000-749999/749694_9_full.jpg

Busted_Blue
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
way to bring up the dead thread but I just bought

Hella ECE H4 Housings.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/busted_blue/Exhaust%2020050508/08041dbf.jpg

I do not have a camera at the moment but will take some pics of it installed with silverstars.

here are some pics I found online that show the quality. Here it shows that it has two prongs. That secures the h4 bulb alot better than the one prong on my old one. Also a note about the rubber boot in the first pic you can see that the boot only has slits for the 3 metal tips of the bulb instead of a hole like the cheap ebay ones. This probably prevents less chance of leaking when our flip up headlights are on. The boot also is very tight fit and almost creates a suction when I installed them.

http://makent.sasktelwebsite.net/HID2.jpg

here is an output pic on a way of someone with the same housings. Mine basically looks the same.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/need4spd/e1%20halogen/P1060645.jpg

I like the cutoff of the ECE housings that have " ___/ ___/" line. overall the output seems to have less hotspots and the light is more evenly distributed instead of just a bright spot in the middle. I have yet to test it out on the pitch black freeway but I will soon enough. I had leaky h4 housings from ebay so I decided to spend a little more and get these Hella H4 housings. When I got them, I saw the quality compared to my old ones. It definitely stands out compare to the ebay ones; in price and quality. Oh well, you get what you pay for right?

I paid around 86bucks for the housings shipped. These are the ECE code and are not the Vision Plus Hella housings that most places sell. These are the euro h4 housings one that have the much nicer cutoff line. :D