PDA

View Full Version : This has got to be the stupidest question on the planet

2drSE-i
01-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Maybe not, i dont know. I had a car alarm installed about 3 years ago, but i honestly dont think thats what it goes to. I have this toggle switch under my steering column, and i want to know what it does. Its been driving me crazy ever since i installed my LED Washer nozzles (which kinda suck for the washing part, but then again so did the stock ones) because i installed my switch for those under there. Can anybody help me out?

:uh:
:stupid:

:slap:

86AccordLxi
01-24-2005, 05:59 PM
It could be the steering wheel tilt lever. That's the one thing I can think of. Does it have an arrow on it? (don't the 3geez tilt levers have an arrow?...I haven't driven one in so long ).

Alex

Vanilla Sky
01-24-2005, 06:01 PM
my new parts car just had a toggle switch installed... didn't actually go to anything, though..

2drSE-i
01-24-2005, 06:02 PM
yea, but its not the tilt lever, its actually under the steering column, its kinda bolted underneath. But its an actual electrical toggle switch. Its kinda sitting there, were the wiring begins and the "interior" ends

Vanilla Sky
01-24-2005, 06:07 PM
is it actually hooked up?

3gn86lxi
01-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Probably your valet switch for the alarm. Is it still hooked up? They didn't show it to you when they put the alarm in?

2drSE-i
01-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Probably your valet switch for the alarm. Is it still hooked up? They didn't show it to you when they put the alarm in?

Whats a valet switch, yes its still hooked up, and my dad had it installed, it was his car until he got an '03 Silverado

MrBen
01-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Moved to Audio and Security

2drSE-i
01-24-2005, 06:18 PM
well thanks ghetto, but i put it in general because i didnt know what it did ::tehee:: But seriously, what does a valet switch do?

Vanilla Sky
01-24-2005, 06:33 PM
i believe it disables your alarm so you don't have your valet setting it off...

3gn86lxi
01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes. It will allow you to disable the alarm if you are having the car worked on, valet parked, ect. and still alows you to use the unlock feature of the alarm. (usually) but it depends on the alarm.
It is also used to program the features of the alarm. Do you have the manual for the alarm??

2drSE-i
01-24-2005, 06:37 PM
that would be stupid i wud think....i kinda like anti-theft myself, and if theres a switch right there that the valet can shut off.....why cant a car theif. Course its not like they cant just pop the hood and cut the wires that are sitting right there at the top...........o well i do have an ignition killer on it :)

i'm sure if i asked my dad for it he wud be able to find it..........eventually

TJ89Accord
01-24-2005, 10:37 PM
that would be stupid i wud think....i kinda like anti-theft myself, and if theres a switch right there that the valet can shut off.....why cant a car theif. Course its not like they cant just pop the hood and cut the wires that are sitting right there at the top...........o well i do have an ignition killer on it :)

You have to put the key in, turn it to on, then flip the switch. Siren should chirp, and LED should stay on solid. Turn ignition on and flip again to put it back to normal.

tim

snow_man_20
01-25-2005, 12:42 AM

the idea is to have it hidden so the person cant find the valet. move it to your trunk or your behind your glove box. If you bought a simple alarm you don't have a back up system (battery) in your sirin. one more thing, if your instaler was lazy you don't even have to pop the hood in the accord the sirin line is right behind the brake petal (fyi) so if it is there have the stereo store drill a new hole and move it, or do it yourself. Not stupid questions though, i didn't know a thing till i started to install stereos and alarms.

p.s. your valet bypasses your ignition disable.

2drSE-i
01-25-2005, 03:47 PM
p.s. your valet bypasses your ignition disable.

oh i knew that, i was just saying that if they cut the siren wire, which is insanely easy, the ignition disable wud screw them

TJ89Accord
01-25-2005, 10:02 PM
oh i knew that, i was just saying that if they cut the siren wire, which is insanely easy, the ignition disable wud screw them

Unless they reconnected the starter wire together ;)

2drSE-i
01-26-2005, 02:50 PM
ahahaha dont say that.......
But honestly what car theif in his right mind wud steal my car over the 1000 better cars in my schools parking lot?

87accordlxi
01-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Thieves don't steal cars to drive around and look cool in them. They strip them and sell the parts. Accords are popluar cars, so parts are always needed. Plus older Hondas are easy to break into.

Neuspeed87lx
01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Thieves don't steal cars to drive around and look cool in them. They strip them and sell the parts. Accords are popluar cars, so parts are always needed. Plus older Hondas are easy to break into.

:werd: :sad2:

2drSE-i
01-27-2005, 03:20 PM
good point :/

But still dont say that, let me live in my little delusion hahaha

87AccordsterLx
01-28-2005, 09:38 AM
If the switch was installed by someone then it's going to be pretty impossible for us to guess what it is. I wired a toggle switch for my remote start button on the Accord. You need to just follow the wires and see where they go... or you could just ask your dad being that he did put it on there...

2drSE-i
01-28-2005, 03:19 PM
nah im positive its the valet switch now, im the only person besides altamere (the people who did the alarm) whos installed a toggle switch in that car, so its gotta go to the alarm. My real question was that if it was part of the car originally lol. How silly :)