PDA

View Full Version : Door Handle broke!

JFreddy
01-24-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't know if this is even in the right section or not... :sad2: .... but today i was opening my drivers side door and the left side of the latch broke off... :ugh: like the little lever the you pull on, one side just snapped, and it wasnt cold or anything! anyways would the easiest thing to do just be get another one from a junkyard or should I go somewhere to order one? I would like it to be the same color (maybe without the pinstripes). sorry if this is in the wrong section I didnt know if this should go here or in the appearance one...

BTW has anyone ever had that happen to them? their door handle break? :uh:

BlueBead
01-25-2005, 12:17 AM
My passenger front door handle was broke right off when I got the car(4dr) so I ripped one off my parts car and swapped it in. Be carefull if you want a match, some of them are metal and some are plastic(I'm rocking a mismatch, but it was cheap...ie I already owned it). You'll have to swap the lock cylinder whatever you do.
Best bet(my choice) would be to pull one from a JY and swap it into yours. Pull the JY car apart first and see how everything comes apart before you tackle your own.
swap out the lock cylinders once you have both latches apart, that way you don't have to pay a locksmith.. then reassemble. Don't forget to reseal the door plastic ...
If you have any more Qs you can PM me.. I'm in BC

Moodybluesr
01-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Find someone on here who is parting out their car and buy one off of them... or find one in a junk yard. Niether of these options worked for me this fall so I ended up forking over $35 (US) for a new one which I ordered from a dealer.

snow_man_20
01-25-2005, 01:12 AM
do handles brake often, i had a omni that only had the rear passanger handle on it, i don't want to go through that again :ugh:

Busted_Blue
01-25-2005, 02:04 AM
both sides on my front doors did that shit. I bought handles from the junkyard 5bucks. Had to take out the keylock and replace it with my old one (thats the hard part) and then just put it back in. SO hard to find a Laurel Blue LX or LXi to get color door handles for the front. Took me 5months of random junkyard runs to find it unexpectedly.

nswst8
01-25-2005, 03:26 AM
They break, no biggie Get one or a few from the Junkyard so you would have a spare. avoid having to buy new they are just to expensive.

They are easy to replace. :hs:

johndej
01-25-2005, 08:56 AM
yeah, i'm pimping a blue handle (laural blue infact, lol) on my red 3g (will paint it to match whenever i get home from school). it wasn't too bad a swap just be careful you don't break anything when taking the one out of your own car (don't want your door panel coming off later or anything) and as said before, pull the junkyard one first so you'll know what to expect. swapping the lock was kinda wierd but it can be done.