PDA

View Full Version : Crazy timing belt?

AZmike
08-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Today I replaced my timing belt...sort of. After finally breaking the crankshaft bolt loose I got the old one off (still in decent shape). When I started marking the new one i noticed that the old one has 107 teeth and the new one has 108 teeth. No problem I thought, the tensioner will pick up that extra tooth so i put the belt on with my marks and reassembled the engine enough to test it. I checked for valve clash first--everything looked good.

It started up quicker than usual. It turned over about the normal number of times, but once it started, it went to 1500 a lot faster than normal. I thought everything was ok, it sounded great. Then I slowly opened up the throttle and around 2100 rpm and above (i didn't got higher than 2800) the engine sounded really bad. The best i can describe it is as a 'garble'. it doesn't rev well either. Of course I didn't do much experimenting since it sounded like i was hurting my poor engine. I checked all my ignition stuff and it's all in good order: wires in good condition, i just gaped the spark plugs to .040" (stock coil), tight connections everywhere. I tried again...same thing. :wtf:

It was running great the other day so I know this is something new that I caused, not something else breaking. After cleaning my older belt I realized that it was Honda P/N 14400-PM6-004, not 14400-PC6-004 like the new one was. I went to a local import parts store that i trust and the belt they had in stock for my car was also 108 teeth so I'm not thinking that it was the dealer parts guy's mistake the first time like i did before. I'm sort of curious why mine is different.

Right before starting the timing belt I also adjusted my valves: .011" for exhaust and .006" for intake. I hadn't ran the car after that until now so I'm hoping that it wasn't my adjusting that caused all these problems, but rather the different timing belt. 11 of the 12 valves were too close, but I didn't move any of them move than a few turns. I carefully followed the both the factory manual and the Haynes. I'm hoping that everything will be back to normal once I get the right belt from my dealer.

So what do you guys think? Is this likely a timing belt issue or did my valve adjustment go terribly wrong?

YK86
08-01-2002, 10:33 PM
Make sure you weren't off by one tooth on any of the sprockets. When the flywheel mark is pointing to TDC, the "TOP" mark should be pointing up (in line with the valve cover bolt down shaft). You'd get a more accurate reading if you take out the plugs so you don't build up compression. Also, the feeler gauge should just slightly "drag" when checking valve clearances.

AZmike
08-01-2002, 10:45 PM
Thanks YK86

I marked the belt so that the same number of teeth would be between the two spockets and that both sprockets were still in the same position as when I removed the old belt. I put the extra tooth length on the tensioner side of the sprockets. I did have the plugs out, that's why I ended up gapping them. The feeler gauge did drag slightly.

Any other ideas?

doug
08-02-2002, 02:35 AM
well the pm6 is for a 89 civic, the pc6 is for a 89 accord

jteuton
08-02-2002, 05:06 AM
crank the engine and let it idle and watch the belt. Is it jumping or running smoothly. One more tooth might cause too much free play and cause the cam timing to skip. I don't like to ask stupid questions but you did have each cylinder exactly TDC when doing the valve adjustments?

AZmike
08-02-2002, 07:30 AM
The belt was tensioned properly and wasn't jumping around. I moved the camshaft close to 90 degrees at a time, but i was probably off a little. I though that there was some room for error with that so i will have to go back and check my valves. I'll be out of town for a while so I won't be able to try again for a little over a week.