PDA

View Full Version : Can I use KYB GR-2's with Ground Controls?

JSid7
08-01-2002, 10:08 PM
i was just wondering can anyone tell me if it is ok to use kyb gr-2 gas shocks with ground control coilovers....anyone....please :)

Jims 86LXI HB
08-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Absolutely, NO, do not do that. KYB GR-2's are nothing more than oem replacement struts. Even KYB doesn't call them performance struts. All lowering coilovers and springs are stiffer, you have to run struts that are likewise stiffer. Even Tokico's H.P. struts and Bilstein H.D.'s (unless revalved:D ) don't have that it takes either. The only strut you should run with ground-controls are koni special's. And even the koni's are barely stiff enough for them. Revalved Bilstein H.D.'s would be a better choice.

I know ground-controls are expensive, but you don't want to screw up your car with weak sturts that will never let you experience what those ground-controls are all about. One of our members found this out the hard way when he tried to run tokicos with his ground-controls, he now running Koni's in the front and the tokico's in the rear.

JSid7
08-01-2002, 10:26 PM
thanks alot man, i soo soo soo glad i asked before i did that. because i have them sitting in a bow next to me...:eek: ...another question...if i wanted to lower my car 3 inches max...what all would need to be done to keep the camber in line...thanks alot again :)

JSid7
08-01-2002, 10:28 PM
in a box*** next to me

Jims 86LXI HB
08-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Well I'm glad you asked, it would really ride like sh**. As you've figured out, you'll need some kind of camber correction in the front. At a 3" drop I'm pretty sure you'll need camber correction in the rear as well. For the front you can purchase camber kits form eibach and ingalls. Or you can go so a junk yard and pick up a pair of control arms off of a 2nd gen prelude and get some washers to make them fit. Check out some of the post's on prelude arms and you should be able to get an idea of how to install them. For the rear ingalls does make a rear camber correction kit.

Can you return the GR-2's? I sure hope you can.

JSid7
08-01-2002, 11:36 PM
yeah i should be able to...if not ill sell them and pick up some koni specials

JSid7
08-01-2002, 11:36 PM
thanks for all your help

Jims 86LXI HB
08-02-2002, 12:06 AM
No problem, thats what I do:D :werd:

GDGuy11B
08-02-2002, 07:36 AM
are the koni specials the adjustable ones?

88LXi68
08-02-2002, 08:04 AM
[i]
One of our members found this out the hard way when he tried to run tokicos with his ground-controls, he now running Koni's in the front and the tokico's in the rear. [/B]

Hehe :::looks around::::)

Jims 86LXI HB
08-02-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by GDGuy11B
are the koni specials the adjustable ones?

Yes they are single adjustable for rebound, but not for compression. If they could be adjusted for compression you'd be able to make them stiffer or softer. The rebound adjustability is what lets you dial out bounce,....thank god:rolleyes: