PDA

View Full Version : I need some quick help, QUICK! (catalytic converter)

AQcz
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Today I failed my emissions test, here are the readings:

Vehicle Readings: HC 1.31 gpm. CO 2.56 gpm. NOx 0.45 gpm.
Test Limits: HC 0.80 gpm. CO 15.00 gpm. NOx 2.00 gpm.

As you see above I failed because of the HC. Guy at the inspection place who my family has been going to for years said the catalytic converter was blocked (or something to that effect) and I needed a new one. Said they could run about $800, but advised since it's a old car and I wanna get rid of it soon I just go to this area out here and get it for around $100+.

Now for the problem. I want to go out now and get that piece, or at least look up prices. If it's not that problem I don't want to have waisted the money. It'll definitely be money wasted, because if that's not the problem I'm gonna definitely either sell it by the 30th or donate it by then. I don't want this car anyway, just using it to get around until I move.

I need opinions on it being the catalytic converter or not. And I'ma also make another thread on selling it.

and yea I did a lot of searching. Some confirmed this, some didn't, I'm just trying to be sure since every situation is different.

88 LXI
Engine stock (took intake off a while ago)
Only thing different is my muffler (could see in pics on my site)

Thanks

Blkblurr
01-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Most likely is the cat. Mine did the same thing and I know mine is bad. I went to Advance auto to buy a can of treatment that guarantees you pass the e check. I put the can in a full tank of gas. burned the whole tank, filled up again and went right to get it tested. It passed with flying colors. It helps to have it hot when you get your test. Drive it on the interstate for a few miles at higher speeds then go get it tested.

Slipknotcraig133
01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
These kind of threads just make me happy that i live in oregon and dont have emissions lol jp. But yea i have heard the same thing that BlkBlur is talking about if you drive at higher speeds it helps.

AQcz
01-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I'll check on prices of Cats. If I fill it up with gas and get that e-pass stuff it'll run about $50 for the two. Then I'd have to burn it all n fill up again. Might just be cheaper to fix it depending on how much cats cost. If I could get it for $100 +/- a little I'd just fix it. What prices did you pay for Cats if you got one? I'd rather do offline, but if online provide a link if you could. I'd have to do overnight deliv.

Thanks for the info/advise

Blkblurr
01-25-2005, 01:14 PM
I paid $225 for one and it is not a Honda replacement. The treatment cost about $6 for a can and a fill up of course is a normal cost of driving. Just get your test done after you burn the tank normally. Put gas in again and get your test. You don't need to fill it again the second time.

AQcz
01-25-2005, 04:04 PM
I got that converter for $100 at the place I got my muffler at. Took it back today and it passed. Thanks again for the help.