PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

halxi
01-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey,
I drive a 1988 Honda Accord LX-i that has been in the family (my moms car, hand-me-down) since 1987 when bought brand new. It still runs great however it needs work. Paint, Clutch, I want to change the interior color to charcoal grey (EVERYTHING dash, seats, carpet, top half of the interior) and it needs window motors and such. Ive been really sick recently so im home bored alot so i decided to give this cardomain thing a try the other day. Heres the page http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/775231/1

On page 3 i have a list of what id like to do to it, and please post any suggestions in the guestbook. Ill admit to it now, i dont know much about these cars since i am a die hard offroading fan, this is just what i got so im going to take it in stride and see what i can do with it, and learn some new things alon the way

L8r
Nate

Cheeseburger
01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
hey bro welcome to the site man. nice car.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Cool, I have always like those RC cars. My brother has a gas powered one that has a nitrous. Pretty insane if you ask me.

Mattphi
01-25-2005, 01:38 PM
welcome to the board

BlueBead
01-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey Nate, welcome to the board! :welcome:
Nice clean coupe! You sound like you have most of the car laid out already! :cool:
Well, as an offroader you could always do this:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/94/94531/folders/137747/1318556fc13c7b7.jpg
IF I were you I'd get another 88 or 89 FI engine (JY) and rebuild it, then swap it in. That way you can take your time and do alot of work yourself while still driving around. This is especially important when you NEED a certain part or tool. :pc:
Since you might want to go turbo sticking with this block is a good choice. Otherwise, any different engines (B20s etc) are very very expensive to swap and take alot of custom fab and knowhow. If you P&P your intake and head, rebore/ring like you plan, get a good 3way valve job done, and get better airflow into and out of the head (CAI and exhaust) you'll be happy with the A20.
If you are serious about the turbo and you do pull your engine apart you might want to put in some aftermarket pistons/rods(diamond etc) and get your block blueprinted and balanced. That way you can go right to Turbo without pulling anything apart again.
If I was looking at the things you are, I would grab the spare engine and work on that. that way you can take your time on the P&P and buildup. Then afterwards you still have the original engine which you can use for parts and incase you somehow kill the built one... its like a driveability insurance policy :)
The reason you want an 88/89 FI engine is that they have the highest HP of the A20 series in the 3G's (122HP?) . the 86/87 FI had like 110Hp and the carbs had 98Hp or so.. I can't remember the Hp exactly :dunno: , but for sure stick with the 88/89FI
I'm going to have to get myself another parts car...88/89 FI this time... :rockon:
As far as small things go, you should probably look at improving the ignition, so good wires, plugs, cap/rotor, and a better coil will all help and can be swapped around.
Damn... I didn't mean to write a book.. guess I'll stop now
Good luck

halxi
01-25-2005, 04:44 PM
thanks for the comments.

For now im going to focus on building this engine up some and get it to a more reliable state of being lol.

In the long run i will probably do what you suggested BlueBead, simply because its most logical and the cheapest way to get more power. Sadly, here at my house i dont have half the tools ill need so all work will be done at my Uncles house in Throton (about 15-20 min drive) since he has all the tools ill ever need (he rebuilds/restores army jeeps) to use with the planned mods.

Ill be keeping you all updated, nothing major will happen until end of april at the earliest since i am out of a job right now until at least the beginning of april.

Ive also noticed these boards are quite confuesing lol, not your traditional style, takes some getting used to :uh:

BlueBead
01-25-2005, 05:55 PM
thanks for the comments.
Ive also noticed these boards are quite confuesing lol, not your traditional style, takes some getting used to :uh:
yeah, we are pretty messy! :pc:
It sounds like the your uncle's place would be perfect to do another engine up. You can take your time and get him to guide you through anything you have problems with. I wish I had an uncle like that....

BDaccordguy
01-25-2005, 06:29 PM
welcome to the board!

halxi
01-26-2005, 07:49 PM
haha yea, it will be SLOW progress because he doesnt really always have time to work on things, but as long as it gets done right? :rockon:

yeah, we are pretty messy! :pc:
It sounds like the your uncle's place would be perfect to do another engine up. You can take your time and get him to guide you through anything you have problems with. I wish I had an uncle like that....

3gn86lxi
01-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Welcome :welcome:
Into wheeling and r/c cars eh. Check out my cardomain, I just built a HPI Savage SS. Waiting till spring to run it though. I've got a Samurai for a toy also.
Check it out.
Anyway....Nice to be getting these new members.

NXRacer
01-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Welcome Dude. enjoy your stay!

SQ is the SQUAD
03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
welcome man, nice coupe

accord_86_accord
04-25-2005, 06:48 AM
whats up man... im from denver colorado...

superaccord
05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
im from denver too but i have been here a while...welcome.

halxi
05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Colorado is definatly a good place to live!

Superaccord, in response to the comment you left on my CD page. I may be interested in getting some help from you sometime in the near future, i have a couple things i want to start on and im probably going to be replacing a CV :sad2: