PDA

View Full Version : Need aftermarket gauges suggestions.

carotman
01-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Ok , I got a set of gauges that I want to incorporate to my car. I made a prototype out of cardboard yesterday

http://carotman.no-ip.com:8888/gauges.jpg

The 3 top gauges are out of an Audi90 and made by VDO. They are a voltmeter, Oil Pressure and Oil temp. The bottom gauges are Autometer ones and monitor the Air/Fuel and Vacuum/boost. Since I got an N/A car, it's not that crucial to monitor the vacuum...... so I want to replace that gauge with another one.

I have no Idea on which gauge to get. So far, the only thing I'm thinking of is a Fuel Pressure gauge. I plan to get a black gauge to replace the vaccum one and replace the Air/Fuel with also a black unit to match with the VDO ones.... It's not too bad now since both white gauges are on the bottom but if I get to replace them, I might as well get them all black.

Any suggestions on what kind of gauge I should get?

nswst8
01-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Just drop the H2o down inplace of the A/F and Vac until you come up with with the right combo of gauges.

Vanilla Sky
01-25-2005, 01:15 PM
fuel pressure, water temp (more accurate that our POS guage), and honestly, a vacuum guage isn't a bad thing to have...

and get VDO ones to replace the autometer ones... VDO=the shiznit

BlueBead
01-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Good Work!
I'm with vanilla.. do the Fuel Pressure and Water Temp... that stock WT guage has always pissed me off. Match them black and figure out what to mount them in permanently. something and Otherwise, I love it! Now I've realized just how badly I need a center console like that...damn man, I think I'm gonna steal your idea, but at least you're another Canuck...

RobT5580
01-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Carot you should get the 88-91 CRX triple gauge pillar? Although it draws more attention to your car i wanted them to be visible and i find my center console best for the non-essential guages or guages i just glance at less often.

carotman
01-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I really like those VDO gauges. However, I haven't been able to find a VDO Air/fuel meter so far.

rob, I thought about the A pillar pod too but I want the car to look as stock as possible from the outside. Plus, my girl hates those and always brags when I talk about those A pillar pods :D

www.egauges.com sells VDO gauges

A20A1
01-25-2005, 05:28 PM
The fuel pressure gauge will need that one kit if you mount it inside the car other wise most people mount a gauge on the hood facing the driver.

RobT5580
01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
I hear ya carot as i didnt want a pillar to keep people from looking at my car. But i think im beyond the sleeper look and i dont park the car anywhere so theft is not on my mind as much. Before i figured they would catch the eye of a thief seing that i have over $700 in gauges if you count my wideband AEM gauge.

Vanilla Sky
01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
www.summitracing.com has them... they carry the entire VDO line

T HOFHINE
01-27-2005, 07:56 PM
i have a gauge pod out of a 96 civic with a little triming and bending with a heat gun it works perfect . but i like your set up as well you con get those same faced gagues that moniter different things out of the old rabbits as well.

HondaBoy
01-27-2005, 09:26 PM
wow, the way you have set them there looks really old school. thats pretty good how you have it. if you remember i made a fill in panel for my tape holder part. i was actually checking through different gagues at the moment. i'm trying to find something that kinda looks like it should be in my car. no chrome or weird back light colors. its hard to find some nowdays. i really want black face gauges, i found some nice ones on jegs i think. anyway, here's the panel thing i made. damn i need to update the pix.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/347000-347999/347392_63_full.jpg

carotman
01-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Yup HondaBoy, that's exactly the kind of panel I plan to make. I will then cut holes in it to install the gauges. the VDO gauges really look like stock gauges. No flash or anything.

I still wasn't able to find an Air/fuel meter made by VDO. Autometer does make a black one tough.

How did you make that panel exactly?

HondaBoy
01-28-2005, 11:00 AM
although these dont look exactly stock, i like the looks of them. these are by Cyberdyne. i wanted the A/F gauge, oil psi and temp, possibley a vacuum gauge. although i dont need them as bad as you would. anyway, i wonder if cyberdyne makes gauges with basic hook ups? or if there's other gauges that have this black face look with digital readouts. i kinda want them to look like these though.
http://www.jegs.com/photos/2808081.gifhttp://www.alamomotorsports.com/cyberdyne_gauge.jpg

b8er
02-02-2005, 08:28 AM
damn you, ahaha i had that same idea of sticking some gauges there, i was gonna add some swithces too, you know for lights or nos purge or whatever but i gotta say good work, looks just like i thought it would, good job

Sabz5150
02-02-2005, 08:42 AM
A vac gauge is a great thing to have on an NA car. It tells you a lot of things.