PDA

View Full Version : Hello Honda People

leia
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey,
I found this board a few weeks ago and have been viewing random posts since.
I must admit that I was somewhat intimidated to join since you people know SOOOOOO much more about work on cars than I do. So please bear with me if I say or ask something stupid.

My name is Leia, I am a girl (prolly not too many of them here, haha). I am currently a senior in Mechanical Engineering at Penn State Univ. So basically I know a lot about the theory, and not very much hands on.

I drive a 1986 Accord LXi, best $1000 I ever spent! I bought it from the 1st owner, after sitting in a garage untouched for 3 years, it only took a battery, fuel filter, oil & oil filter to get back running. Its currently got about 180,000mi on it. It is basically all stock, except the 1st thing I did was rip out the cassette and throw in a Pioneer cd player and all stock sized Pioneer speakers.
Mechanically it has a few issues, but nothing serious at all. The FI/check engine light comes on all the time (been doing it for over a year, and passed inspection twice that way). My mechanic finally ran a diagnostic on it, he said something to do with a valve being screwy (he worded it weird and I don't remember what it was) but he said it would only affect emissions, and it has pass PA emissions twice, so oh well, and it isn't running weird or anything. Um....my 4 way flasher switch will work for a week or two, then stop working. My passenger side rear window only works sometimes (I'm thinking loose wire, but too lazy to deal with it). And a few dents, and the one headlight mounting is slightly off, so it doesn't line up right when I flip them down, so I leave it flipped up.

I used to own a 1988 VW Fox, and compared to that, this car is a dream! Though I am still a VW girl at heart, I can't wait to buy an R32, and Scirocco.

I should be graduating and getting a job in the next year or so, hopefully, and I'll be buying the R32 as soon as I can afford it. But I plan on keeping the Accord, since I'm not going to make any money off it anyway. I want to learn to work on it myself, and basically have a lot of fun driving like a jerk :) Because ultimately, I'd like to buy the Scirocco and work on it all myself, and make it amazing.

This is a long post....and that's about all about me. Oh yeah, I also like body piercings and I have a pet corn snake.

AccordEpicenter
01-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Welcome Leia... You prolly have a screwed up EGR valve (easy to fix) no biggie. R32s arent bad at all, but im not much of a vw fan having worked on them on occasion. Yeah you are right, not too many girls on this board, and out of them, youre prolly one of 2 who actually works on her car, so props to you. What do you have body piercing wise (have to ask, sounds interesting ;) )

AccordNut
01-25-2005, 02:35 PM
welcome to the site leia, you came to the right place...some of these guys on here can really dig deep, so any question you have it will be answered. im glad you're happy with the 86 lxi, my first car was an 86 4d lxi, some jerk hit me in the side and the insurance company gave me twice what i paid for it! so i went out and found my 89 2d lxi. i think its truly fate that brought me to this car. anyway good luck with the accord, keep in touch with us.

BlueBead
01-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Yaaaay! a girl who works on her car... I can't wait to help! heheh :cool:
If you lived closer I'd hit on you all the time, but I'll try to keep it down since you live a loooonnnngg way away...lmao
Welcome to the site! :welcome:
If anyone bugs you :slap: , give the Mods a shout and they'll help out.. we don't want to lose ya!

leia
01-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcoming! I wasn't expecting that.

Actually like 3 years ago I got addicted to a body piercing message board, so I should be fairly familiar with how to behave :) If you guys want, I can link you to my page on that which has some pics, but hasn't been updated in a year or two, haha. Piercings (you may not know what some of them are): 3 lobes in each ear, 6gauge, 16 gauge, 18 gauge, 16g cartilege in one ear, 16g tragus in same ear (I want to get another right above it too), in other ear I have a 16gauge rook, and 18gauge snug (my cool ear). I also have my tongue pierced twice, both 12gauge, my septum 14gauge (with a retainer that flips up and is always hidden), as well as both nipples 12gauge. It's funny though because I think I look fairly innocent :)

As far as working on cars, I don't know how to do a whole lot. I can take apart all of the front lights on the car....I replaced the headlight bulb, as well as the whole light piece for the parking light and the turn signal. I know spark plugs and wires. That is about all I've done on this car. I've replaced my share of side mirrors, and know how to rip apart the dash of 90s VWs.
Last semester I had a guy as a roommate, and he kept having issues with his Saturn. Somehow he got a new battery (kind where terminals screw into side) and the threading was completely different, so I had to deal with that. And I had to replace his side mirror. Haha, poor boy would have been lost without me.

I'm also a bit of a computer geek lately :) But classes will pick up soon. I have a lot of projects this semester, building an RC hovercraft, a robotic arm and probably annoying mathematical computer models for my IC engines class.

A20A1
01-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the warm welcoming! I wasn't expecting that.

...I'm also a bit of a computer geek lately :) But classes will pick up soon. I have a lot of projects this semester, building an RC hovercraft, a robotic arm and probably annoying mathematical computer models for my IC engines class.

Welcome
That RC hover craft sounds fun...

I build little electonic gizmoes now and then...
I like to visit this Sam'a website, he's always doing interesting projects... as well as Jean-Louis Naudin's site just to see what they are up to.

http://www.powerlabs.org/

http://members.aol.com/jnaudin509/

AccordEpicenter
01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
lol... yeah most other boards im on (ok im on like 3 total, 2 regularly) and they are usually like HANG YOURSELF nOOb!! ... heh most people on here are much nicer, probably the absence of E-Thug Ricers flashing watered down gang signs. Your projects sound cool, usually the projects we are working on are turbo kits etc (good times, lol) yea sure post ur page.

MrBen
01-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Welcome to 3geez :)

leia
01-25-2005, 04:22 PM
http://www.tribalectic.com/PersonalHomepage.asp?UID=111080 There's pics of all of the piercings.

There's pics of the piercings. I don't think the hovercraft will be too hard, we will be able to steal the RC components from older ones, and will be given decking and skirting materials, so basically we just need little motors and fans.

Thanks for the links, those look interesting. When we were doing research, we found like 8 crappy websites by the same tool, if my group found another one, we were about to abuse him through the computer :)

DBMaster
01-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Ah, how do you feel about older guys who have an irresistable urge to take care of their women?

:)

BlueBead
01-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Damn... I'm on that site too.... That's where I got my nickname from...
I only have one, but its a lower frenum 14 Guage CBR (stainless/bluefiberoptic)
I need to upgrade to a 10 or 12, but its been low on my priority list... I like your metal though!
And you are taking mechEng! crazy! I took a year off from that to make some money and go back to it, but then I got my hatch wrecked and haven't been able to work since. I'm even wearing a PennState shirt (my gym shirt) as I write this...... what a crazy world

BDaccordguy
01-25-2005, 06:29 PM
welcome! nice to have a girl on the site for once.

leia
01-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Bluebead, what's your name on tribe? 14g frenum seems a little small, I'd be worried about riping. I'm not too active on their anymore, I honestly don't care about everyone's dating life and I'm tired of telling people to throw out the listerine and neosporine. My name on tribe is same as here. Why a PSU shirt? I never understand international people, and people from across the country coming here. Its a good school and all, but is it really worth that? I do know a lot of out of staters, especially in engineering.

DBM, haha, thats sweet. You know what's funny? I'm 22, and never once have I dated a guy who drove! Luckily I love driving, but I think that's so strange. I think I'm destined to be sorta the "man" in the relationship, since once I get a job, it'll be decent.

My goal as a person is to learn to do all that stuff to my own car, and look girlier at the same time. Just imagine a redhead pulling up in a super sweet Scirocco, stepping out in heels, with manicured nails (maybe), serious clevage, and explained exactly what I did to the car and how I went about doing it. That's my goal :) I can only drive stick well in heels shorter than 3 inch but I have time to work on that.

AccordEpicenter
01-25-2005, 06:42 PM
your piercings are hot :wave:

A20A1
01-25-2005, 07:53 PM
My only peircing in my ears... they're celtic looking... probably can't make em out in the avatar pic.

I hope you stay... I've found this forum very helpful... and if the boys get out of hand... :slap:

88accordhb
01-26-2005, 06:29 PM
hi welcome.

3gn86lxi
01-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Welcome leia.
I thought that I would be the only pierced freak here!! I've got my ears, and both nipples done. Enjoy your time here, we try to be nice and receptive to noob's here. :D

nswst8
01-26-2005, 07:03 PM
You'll have alot of fun on here, its a great place to get started on your knowledge about working with these cars.

You'll have to explain piercing to me sometime, I don't understand the following. Must be something like tattoo's.

I'm from the time where the only way to get a piercing was to be the sole survivor on a sunken ship. I've sailed the seven seas and then some.

frankie89
01-26-2005, 07:06 PM
welcome leia!! im from allentown pa, what part u from!!! we have many pa members here on the board!!!

leia
01-26-2005, 07:12 PM
frankie, I'm from Bucks County (specifically Newtown), its NE of Philly.
But I go to school at PSU, so I'm in the middle of the state most of the year.

Its weird, PA seems to be a popular place....a bunch of people on the piercing message board are from PA too.

Oh yeah and I guess I should have added my LXi is 5 speed....thank god, I couldn't ever buy an automatic.

DBMaster
01-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, ever since my divorce I have become totally a dirty old man!

Hoo-ah!

leia
01-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Well, ever since my divorce I have become totally a dirty old man!

Hoo-ah!

Haha, thats ok. I used to be somewhat nice (no not really), but since I broke up with my bf of over 3 years, I've become a total pervert. All my friends are guys, and I even surprise them sometimes, haha.

2drSE-i
01-26-2005, 07:56 PM
All the guys responding to the piercings are halarious ahahaha. I've never seen a group more akward around a girl :-P

Welcome to 3geez :)

BlueBead
01-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah! Another Pervert! :rockon:
you'll fit right in here! :bong:
As to what you said, yeah, the 14G is pretty small but I've got it positioned just right. I've been thinking of going smaller, but I'd need a GF to bother. :nuts:

DBMaster
01-27-2005, 06:11 AM
Pervert!? Hey, I resemble that remark. I was married for 15 years. Imagine getting back out there after that. At least I didn't get fat, bald, or gray....yet. As far as awkwardness goes I leave that to the rest of you. One advantage of age is gaining enough of a sense of self not to be stung too hard by rejection.

I was told by several of my female friends that since I was single now I would need to go get a new car. They say that since I can well afford it I need to "drive to impress." Well, after they ride in the car they are far more impressed with it than any new car. How could I shed this car that has done so well for me? If you take care of it and it's clean it's better than a new one. There are no payments. I have plenty of better things to spend money on now besides car payments.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

TTFN

SteveDX89
01-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Welcome fellow PA'er. :welcome:

AccordNut
01-27-2005, 09:35 AM
a chick joins the site and you mofos go crazy! haha, guess im guilty of it too

frankie89
01-27-2005, 10:04 AM
:nuts: :huh:

HostileJava
01-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Welcome, I don't check this section to often, just try to catch when we get a new PA member. I hope you'll be attending one of our meets this spring/summer.

DBMaster
01-27-2005, 05:26 PM
a chick joins the site and you mofos go crazy! haha, guess im guilty of it too

I did say I was a dirty old man, didn't I? Doesn't do me too much good to hit on a girl in PA, though, does it?

I can't let you "whipper-snappers" have ALL the fun. :cool:

buds302
01-27-2005, 05:58 PM
ok enough of this fighting back and forth about whose a perv or not.

anyway welcome to 3geez and i hope we dont run you off or nuthin but some of us can be rude sometimes.
but about ur car. from what ive gathered and what i used to own. the 86 lxi was famous for the pmg-fi light comin on all the time. it was the first year honda used the pgmfi and it always had problems with the light. i used to own one and that friggin thing came on all the time! we changed everything we could think of and everytime we ran diagnostics on it it was something else. the damn thing never went out. it would only seem to come on when i sat at a red light or i let it idle for a while. i dunno its broke what can you say! my suggestion is take the light bulb out of the back of the guage cluster and you wont even see it no more. out of sight, out of mind!
oh yeah i like your piercings. they are hot! and have fun in your 3gee. dont hold back, drive it like you stole it! j/k!
anyway, welcome to 3geez!

hootymo
01-29-2005, 03:34 PM
buds302: im sorry but since we are on the topic of piercings and such that pic in ur avatar is fucking great! sorry i couldnt resist :)

buds302
01-30-2005, 08:51 AM
do you know what it is?

2drSE-i
01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
to me it looks like a hood with a really good paintjob to look like boobs :)

buds302
01-30-2005, 01:32 PM
thats my next whip! 2004 mini cooper s. yeah its got a paint job on it and they are boobs. but the back end of that car shows an ass in a thong!

2drSE-i
01-30-2005, 02:24 PM
hahaha i was right, and thats halarious lol

hootymo
01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
man thats fucking awesome... i really thought that was just a pic of a hott female :lol:

buds302
01-30-2005, 06:17 PM
hey i got a question does my sig look like shit? cause my screen is fucked up and i cant tell. but if i get on my laptop it looks good.

hootymo
01-30-2005, 09:00 PM
looks a bit distorted...

frankie89
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
looks like a etched image!!kinda??

hootymo
01-30-2005, 09:06 PM
yea thats the word i was lookin for :uh: