PDA

View Full Version : roll cage?

hondaaccord_86
08-02-2002, 01:09 AM
anyone seen or know of any 3rd gen that has a roll cage? or show tubes?

OldSchoolSwap
08-02-2002, 04:27 AM
No, but I was thinking about it...... but nahhh!

Dman87LX
08-02-2002, 06:53 AM
ive seen some civic's with them... they might be able to go into our 3geez, altho i dont think your car would ever roll over and they take up valuable interior space :)

toastyghost
08-02-2002, 01:00 PM
I have a feeling a roll cage in a 3G would be a waste unless you have a sick drag setup like turbo B18C5 or something. Dropping a couple grand on custom tubing so you can look fast would = massive gayness.

hondaaccord_86
08-02-2002, 05:28 PM
damn! it'll cost a couple grand? ill just go to home depot and get some pipes and form a roll cage myself. i do have to say they make your car look crazy.

Vanilla Sky
08-02-2002, 08:04 PM
worth it for autocrossing, too... and home dePOT isn't a ood place to get the supplies for a roll cage... i thought most cages were built with aluminum tubing, and usually powdercoated... it would be best to do it when you have access to a machine shop due to some of the bends and brackets you may have to make

Derick

89AccordNate
08-02-2002, 09:52 PM
I think im gonna make a roll cage out of PVC tubing and paint it yellow with some plasticoat..and add a few type R stickers.. Its my idea, so no one take this new 3g mod!!

:rolleyes:

Nate.

Vanilla Sky
08-02-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
I think im gonna make a roll cage out of PVC tubing and paint it yellow with some plasticoat..and add a few type R stickers.. Its my idea, so no one take this new 3g mod!!

Nate.

LOL... you can always make your own stickers and plaster it with them... some mazda, ford, and lotus badging would look killer

Derick

hondaaccord_86
08-03-2002, 03:07 AM

Nate.

aite then, ill paint mine neon green! j/k but i do plan on getting show tubes/roll cage as my next project.

A20A1
08-03-2002, 03:28 AM
It always thought they were steel cages... the tubes are mandrel bent I think for the corners/bends.

if you don't make it right and you end up fliping then you could do more damage then good.
I figured all the extra weight and lack of 200 hp or more doesn't justify installment of a roll cage.
thought if I went rallying then for sure I'd get a roll cage.

Shagen
08-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Waste of TIme and Money...If you have that kinda cash lying around buy me some rims or something brother :)

OldSchoolSwap
08-04-2002, 10:46 AM
I'll make a roll cage out of Neon lights, so I can glow in the dark as I roll over! :gay:

SQ is the SQUAD
08-06-2002, 06:08 AM
juan wants a chrole roll cage, he told me already

89AccordHatch
11-19-2002, 12:01 AM
i was thinking about doing the whole roll cage thing....but i figure...if the car was to flip..i hope it kills me cuz i dont have the money to fix it!

pmip
11-19-2002, 12:11 AM
Why bother??? Unless you need it for racing or something. It takes up interior space, doesn't look all that good (imo), and people have been knocked out by them wearing normal seatbelts (you should have racing seats and at least a 4 point harness).

Jims 86LXI HB
11-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Unless the class rules require it or your road racing, I don't see the point. If that damn car is that much of a jelly fish, it's time to bale into something that stiffer from the factory.

markmdz89hatch
11-19-2002, 08:06 AM
and if I'm not mistaken, only once you break the 11.0 sec. 1/4 are you required to have a roll cage installed. Other then that, for autocross, I've never seen a car roll over. The closest I've ever seen was when an M3 did a full 180deg. direction change against the grade of the lot. He managed to lift two wheels considerably off the ground, but still ran no risk of flip.

PortugalHonda
11-19-2002, 08:10 AM
just keep your car this far off the ground

|
|

Then you shouldn't have a problem with rolling over or anything, with your car this low to the ground, you are a pearldrop wanna-be

hondaaccord_86
11-19-2002, 01:32 PM
true true... but you guys gotta admit it, you feel really safe in a car w/ a cage
hahahaha :lol

88turboaccord
11-19-2002, 03:30 PM
I am having a cage made for my car... Am I gay?

dXsquared
11-19-2002, 03:53 PM
no... i was thinkin of bendin a 3 inch set for the back like a hoop then put a bar across for a camera. i could paint it or get it powdercoated. BTW i am gonna use exhaust pipe. i know it wont help, but it is light and it will look cool. and i wont have to get the passenger to hold the camera when we race!

Travis

87Hybrid
11-19-2002, 06:15 PM
They are made out of Chromemoly steel and tig welded for strenght. Will probobly add too much weight for anyone but Justin, He probably needs it.

Grant2k
11-19-2002, 10:33 PM
for the wieght it would cost it definitly isn't worth it in our cars, unless you are justin, or juan's car could have handled one. i totally agree with Jim, unless class rules require it, forget it.

and there is a lot to a role cage. they have to be attached to the car in certain ways with certain sized metal and different sizes for different types of metal, and different classes. role cages aren't generic.

HondaBoy
11-20-2002, 08:48 PM
i am still thinkin about gettin a rollcage. the only thing i dont like is it is not that easy to get in and out of your car. you have to get over that bar and then it isnt too comfortable. i was going to get someone to look at my car to see if they could make one that wouldnt compromise comfort . i just want a safer car cuz i like 3 of my friends have rolled their cars and barely got clearance when it smashed in. that is my only concern to get one.

hondaaccord_86
11-21-2002, 12:40 AM
wells... just post pics when you do!!!

3G Jester
11-21-2002, 03:44 AM

Nate.

lol....how true nate. now true.........

and wow! u actualy sed something FUNNY and NOT offensiveto everyone on the board! lol

im doing mine out of painted straws---when people ask why its so small ill tell em its cause i spent a lot of money on titalnium----so its super strong...forget big aluminum.....when they ask why didnt spend the money ona better car ill just turn the radio up louder and ignore the question.,......that reminds me.....i should probably get that 'ol tape deck out and put in a c player of sumthin........ :rolleyes: