PDA

View Full Version : ECU question. Auto, 5 speed?

QuickToy
01-27-2005, 06:58 AM
I'm just wondering...does anybody know what the actual difference is between an automatic tranny ECU and a 5 SPD ECU? Does it use different sensors ?
The reason I ask, is that I am in the process of doing an auto to 5 spd tranny swap on my 86 2.0 Si Prelude, (A20A3) and I read that I need to use the 5 spd ECU.

Instead of jumping wires at the old shifter switch, I thought I would remove the switch itself from the shifter mechanism, and just leave it intact, with it left in "P" so the car would start.

Does sliding the SW to "D" have any effect on the ECU?

Thanks
Paul

SteveDX89
01-27-2005, 07:46 AM
They are the same. The A20 trannies are not electronically controlled so ECU means nothing. Jumping the wires for the shifter is very easy. There should be 2 thick black wires with a white stripe. Just cut them and splice together and voila!

maka_RTH
01-27-2005, 07:47 AM
k, as far as i know there is no important difference between ecu's. i ran my auto ecu for awhile before i finally swapped it, and i had no problems. the ecu out of my 2-dr(the 5spd one i have) was slightly bigger than my auto one..., or was it the other way around..., can't remember. anyways, you'll be fine if you don't swap it, but if you have it you may as well. and also, for the two big black wires, just buy a lil inline connector dealy and crimp it on, it's easy as cake and is a lot cleanr than leaving any of the old shifter crap.

QuickToy
01-27-2005, 08:53 AM
That's what I was thinking. My concern was if the 5 spd PCM had different fueling maps than the auto PCM.

Paul

1987HondaAccord
01-27-2005, 09:12 AM
I notice that my idle was acting up a little with the auto ecu, but that could be my egr (too many problems at the same time). one benefit of leaving the switch stuff from the auto is that you could turn on the reverse lights from that switch. but that means you'd have to have access to it as well, which would look ugly.

maka_RTH
01-27-2005, 08:26 PM
for the reverse lights, i just ran a couple wires from the tranny, wrapped aroundt he torque rod, and up into the car through the shifter hole, and attatched to the reverse wires for the with the auto sensor. i just didn't want to mess with finding where the reverse light wires were, although i think they might be close to the tranny.., not sure though. anyways, yah.