PDA

View Full Version : technical turbo question

racerx
01-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Is there one specific way to hook up a turbo?
What I mean is, does it matter which end of the snail the gases enter/exit?
(either exhaust or intake)...

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of twin-turbo-ing my dad's jag xjs v12. he wanted me to draw it all out and get some prices, and then he's seriously thinking about doing it!!! so any help is appreciated.

Elijah
01-27-2005, 01:25 PM
There is a intake side and exhaust side. I would just do one big single turbo.

racerx
01-27-2005, 02:54 PM
duh. ;)

I wanted to know if i went in on the bent (snail) side of the exhaust, and out the middle part, if I could have fresh air come IN the snail side of the intake and out the middle part.

NXRacer
01-27-2005, 02:58 PM
it only flows one way. no 2 ways about it. there are good sides to doing twin turbo vs single. You're going to have to do a heckuva lot of research to turbo a Jag. I'd suggest you and your dad read up on Corky Bell's turbo book. It'll give you pretty much all the info you'll need.

Is your dad aware he'll be shelling out a LOT of money to do that??

racerx
01-27-2005, 03:08 PM
ok, look at this picture:
http://www.netcar.co.il/img2/milon/23%20turbo.jpg

I want to be able to turn the flow of air around.
I don't know if it's possible, but it would make plumbling a little more straight-forward and shorter, which is better.

And yes, we're perfectly aware of the cost of twin turboing a jag. The engine, however, is in perfect condition. 95%-100% compression on all 12.

The idea is to make it a project. Buy a little here, a little there, etc.
There's also a guy in town (works for a particular NHRA driver and another LeMans driver) who can assemble it and make all the welds and fabrication necessary.

We decided on twin because the motor is 5.3L and the two exhaust pipes from each bank never connect. :D true dual exhaust baby.

Thanks for the reference to the book for boosting. we'll pick one up.

NXRacer
01-27-2005, 03:14 PM
like i said, it flows one way. not 2 ways about it.

the book i was reffering to is titled: "maximum boost" by corky bell. you can pick it up on amazon for like 30 bucks. it will clarify our question probably better then anybody here can.

bobafett
01-27-2005, 06:49 PM
not gonna happen man

A20A1
01-28-2005, 12:35 AM
May not be jag specific but the info I posted in the FAQ was most things unspecific about turbocharging... I even listed the books... and as posted before Maximum boost is a good book... I read thru all three I listed in the FAQ and Maximum boost was the best... but a little bias but that wasn't much of an issue since the info was all I was after.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169

Robs89LXi
01-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Can't go backwards. The scroll of a turbo narrows as it goes from entry side to exit. This helps to speed up the air to help turn the impeller wheel (like a nozzle). If you try to go backwards, you will be having the opposide effect and be slowing down the air.

racerx
01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
alright, well it was worth asking i suppose...

we'll figure it out. i'll post pics of the progress as it goes in O/T.

Accordtheory
01-28-2005, 09:43 PM
a turbo is an axial compressor connected to a centrifugal compressor via a common shaft. The flow cannot be reversed. Good luck with your project..

smufguy
01-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Does this Jag have twin tbs? is fo stick with twin turbo, even if it does not have has a large plenum, stick with the twin turbo, Pics of the engine bay and power requirement would give me an idea of what size you can run. Also how much boost and what rpm the car redlines at.

AccordEpicenter
01-31-2005, 07:29 AM
yeah i think they do... they have like a cross ram like a viper

racerx
01-31-2005, 09:45 AM
yes, it has 2 tbs. also the exhaust pipes are true dual, and they never touch each other (6 cyls on one pipe). There's some great places to fit a turbo where a cat is. i'll take pics soon.

dub88acc
01-31-2005, 01:21 PM
not exactly a twin turbo v-12 jag; but you can do a similiar set up
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/images/products/twin_tubs_500.jpg

AccordEpicenter
01-31-2005, 01:29 PM
the closer you can get the turbos to the head the better, the hotter the exhaust gases are the more energy there is to drive the turbines, plus with a remote mounted turbo youd have to have a separate oil sump and pump to pull the oil out of the oil drains on the turbos or theyll smoke to kingdom come...