PDA

View Full Version : air temp. sensor

AccordNut
01-28-2005, 02:41 PM
i think this is the reason why my car has been idling funny lately, anyone else have issues with the air temp. sensor?

Strugglebucket
01-29-2005, 03:46 AM
you mean the IAT? what makes you think that it's causing a problem? can you describe the idle problem in more detail? what else have you checked?

if the sensor or the connection is bad your ecu will throw a code 10. if you have a multitester you can unplug the IAT and check the resistance between the two prongs on the sensor. it should be between 1-4k ohms. also, with the ignition switch on there should be five volts between the red/white wire terminal and a ground. if you don't get voltage between the red/white and ground OR, if between the red/white and the green/white you do get voltage, there could be a problem with the ecu or a short in the wiring somewhere.

all of this info i'm getting out of the electronic shop manual which i highly recommend you download.

btw i've never had a problem with my IAT and i it's still the original one that came with the car. i think i cleaned it off once :dunno:

AccordNut
01-29-2005, 08:43 AM
well my car idles funny when its cold...it will idle high around 2000rpm when i cut it on, then when i drive for about 5 min the idle will bounce up and down between 1600-1900rpm. it idles fine when the engine is warm though, thats why i was thinking the air temp sensor is getting confused or something.

how do i check my ecu for a code? i know its under the seat but ive never looked at it before...do i turn the engine on and look? or do i just turn the key to the on position?

BITESIZE
01-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Accordnut, I have the same problem, I'm thinking it's the warm up regulator.

AccordNut
01-29-2005, 08:52 AM
where is the warm up regulator?

BITESIZE
01-29-2005, 09:00 AM
On the intake manifold, right by the butterfly.

AccordNut
01-29-2005, 01:05 PM
well i found the problem, the ecu blinked 10 times which means it is the air temp sensor. in the manual it says high idle speed (yep) and irratic idle when very cold (yep again) so thats my problem. Only thing is the manual shows you where it is but the illustration isnt very sharp...i went to take off something that i thought was the sensor and fuel squirted out! well thats definitely not the right one. ill keep looking

AccordNut
01-29-2005, 02:37 PM
does anyone know exactly what this sensor looks like, where its located, and how to take it off? id greatly appreciate the help

Mac
01-29-2005, 02:45 PM
If you are looking at the engine, on the right side of intake. Follow the big vacuum hose from the brake booster. Look right under the hose where it goes into the intake. You will see an electrical connector. That is it. Pull off connector and 2 phillips screws.