PDA

View Full Version : Accel SS Coil Problems

danronian
01-29-2005, 06:22 AM
I just installed the cannister type Yellow Accel Super Stock Coil on my accord and also replaced the wires with 8mm accel super stock (only $25 and pre-cut and boots installed) and the plugs with bosch platinums. I also replaced the very worn out stock cap and rotor with a KEM replacement.
First problem is the tach jumps around in the 3kRPM region, it doesn't bother me that much since it doesn't do it around the red line area since that is where the reading actually matters but none-the-less this is a problem that started a day after I installed the coil.
Second problem is that I was driving the other night down a hill and the car just shut off. I stopped and it turned right back on but I really have no I idea why it shut off. I just checked all the grounds on the engine and battery and replaced the two with 4 gauge wire since the stock ones were pretty bad looking.
I searched but all of the threads said the distributer was to blame and by distiributer is a three year old Honda part and there is no metal dust or shavings in it and it makes no noise.
I also didn't adjust the gap on my plugs yet, could this be partly to blame?

nswst8
01-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Did the electrical completely go out or did the engine just cut out. Could be the Main Fuel Relay its nortorious for intermittently cutting the fuel on and off, although mine never did it while driving only at start up.

The Distributor is responsible for the tach, mine travels around 3250 @ 80 mph. No other real problems.

shepherd79
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
yeah sounds like fuel relay or fuel pump itself. i had that problem. i was driving and my engine just died. didn't want to start. So i had to replace fuel pump and it runs great.

danronian
01-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Just the engine shut off and the electrical was just the same as it would have been with the engine on (other than the tach at zero).

Well if it does it again I'll sway out my Main Relay for the extra one I have. I just drove 100 miles today both stop and go and cruising and other than the tach jumping in the 3k RPM range the car was fine. Now I'll just hope it was a one time occurence (actually it happened once a year ago on the highway but I think that might have been b/c of poor engine and battery grounds).

3gn86lxi
01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Get rid of that coil. Guarantee you will not have the problems anymore. I had the same coil, but the crome version, it would intermittently work after bout a month. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, tested everything. When we tested it would always spark good, but not enough to run.
Put my stock coil back on, problems went away. Just put your old coil back on and see what happens.

shepherd79
02-01-2005, 02:26 AM
it is been over 2 years since i installed my accell coil. never had any problems with it.
don't change the coil. that is not your problem. but make sure all the connections are nice and tight.

snow_man_20
02-01-2005, 02:56 AM
i'm so confused is the accell coil good or bad, i'm thinking about getting one and now i don't know, mabie i should go with mds, or just stay stock :(

Strugglebucket
02-01-2005, 03:43 AM
i have the accel, it's a good coil. pretty much the same as the msd blaster 2.

snow_man_20
02-01-2005, 03:53 AM
i can get an accell coil pretty cheap from a local shop, i don't know what model it is i haven't seen it all he said is that it's the canister type. It's new in box for $35. If a msd blaster is better i might pay a little more for that.

danronian
02-01-2005, 05:18 AM
i can get an accell coil pretty cheap from a local shop, i don't know what model it is i haven't seen it all he said is that it's the canister type. It's new in box for $35. If a msd blaster is better i might pay a little more for that.
They are basically the same and nor is that a bad price for the coil.

I found alot of posts when searching about the mis-readings with the tach associated with the accel coil but all of the threads basically just blamed the installation of the coil and never figured out anything. Does anyone have any idea about how to fix the tach jumping? I had the wires that go from the distributer to the coil next to the actual coil wire and now I moved them away from the coil wire but it still does the same thing. Could it be something electrical inside the distributer that is causing the problem? I also read somewhere that when you use a higer output coil that is often causes arc-over in small, stock, import caps. Is there anywhere that sells better than OEM quality caps? I looked them up on summit and a little on here and didn't find any info. I was also thinking that possibly my plug wires going to the sparkplugs were to close or touching in to many places but I made sure they weren't and since they are 8mm Accel wires I don't think that should be a major issue.

snow_man_20
02-01-2005, 05:41 AM
I had the same problem with my camaro and auto meter tach. but at low RPMs like 1k and only while slowing the motor's rpms. my mechanic said it was a slight amount of slack in the timing chain or distributer nothing to worry about. My camaro also ran great even with the twitch so i didn't do anything. Even sold it like that.

A20A1
02-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Sounds like the spark is arching... insulate your connections better and also those inside the distributor and make sure the connections are crimped or soldered good.

danronian
02-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Sounds like the spark is arching... insulate your connections better and also those inside the distributor and make sure the connections are crimped or soldered good.
Which connections are you referring to? I crimped on terminals to attach the positive and negative wires to the coil but the plug wires were pre-crimped and the wire from the distributer to the coil in the black cover is installed on the distributer by Honda. I don't see any other possibility other than the distributer cap but it doesn't make much sense that it only does it from 3-4K RPM.
So there are no performance caps available?

danronian
02-01-2005, 05:05 PM
I had the same problem with my camaro and auto meter tach. but at low RPMs like 1k and only while slowing the motor's rpms. my mechanic said it was a slight amount of slack in the timing chain or distributer nothing to worry about. My camaro also ran great even with the twitch so i didn't do anything. Even sold it like that.

Actually I have the same problem with the add-on tach for my 75 malibu at low RPMs. I think it is just a slightly worn distributer gear since they get eaten up by aftermarket cams (which I have installed), I know my problem isn't the chain b/c I just replaced it with a pricey double roller type.
ANd like your case the jump doesn't affect my accord's performance, it just bugs the hell out of me, every time I see it jump my eye gets attracted to it b/c it moves so much faster than it usually does.

snow_man_20
02-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Actually I have the same problem with the add-on tach for my 75 malibu at low RPMs. I think it is just a slightly worn distributer gear since they get eaten up by aftermarket cams (which I have installed), I know my problem isn't the chain b/c I just replaced it with a pricey double roller type.
ANd like your case the jump doesn't affect my accord's performance, it just bugs the hell out of me, every time I see it jump my eye gets attracted to it b/c it moves so much faster than it usually does.

i know what you mean, it drove me nuts.

POS carb
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
bad hookup on the + and - points on the coil can make the car just cut off.